to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Inafune: Dead Rising 3 "isn't the game I would have made"

Your comments on our articles.

Dead Rising creator not convinced by Xbox One's zombie exclusive

Keiji Inafune is a man who probably gets sick of being introduced as "Mega Man Creator", but that's his fault for creating the guy. He's currently working on Yaiba, a colourful offshoot of Ninja Gaiden, but one of his greatest gifts to the Xbox 360 was Dead Rising.... read more

Inafune: Dead Rising 3 "isn't the game I would have made"

Postby Neil H » 23 Aug 2013, 11:10

Everything i've seen suggests more of the same, only bigger and better. The initial reveal suggested a more serious approach, but the humor's clearly there in abundance after the recent reveals.
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Re: Inafune: Dead Rising 3

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 11:19

Maybe he disapproves of the time limit being removed and having a save system that actually works? We all know how much the Japanese like to make games as painful as possible to play
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Relic » 23 Aug 2013, 11:21

The idea of an open world Dead Rising without those wretched time limits or endless cutscene and zone loads sounds like the ideal evolution for me, especially now I know the daftness is intact.
Relic 11

Postby msbhvn » 23 Aug 2013, 11:26

Since Inafune consulted on Dead Rising 2 which wasn't exactly a tour-de-force of innovation and was responsible for the egregious Zombrex: Dead Rising Sun, I really don't respect his opinion much.

Losing the time limits is a concern, that there won't be a sense of urgency in DR3, but having to play through the first games multiple times before you can save everyone was a bit stupid.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby steve_2003 » 23 Aug 2013, 11:37

Well, all I can say is I'm glad he's not involved then.

It looks great, a day one purchase for me! :)
steve_2003 64

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Aug 2013, 12:22

lazercut123 wrote:Arg, it's so hard to resist; there's a typo, you spelt footage wrong, unless fotoage is now a word.

OXM's resident auto-correct here to make you want to kill yourself. :wink: :cry:

If I were them it would be far better to just kill you instead.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Maximus T » 23 Aug 2013, 12:31

lazercut123 wrote:Arg, it's so hard to resist; there's a typo, you spelt footage wrong, unless fotoage is now a word.

OXM's resident auto-correct here to make you want to kill yourself. :wink: :cry:

But you can't be in Edwin and Log's heads! One or the other mate. :wink:
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby skellen79 » 23 Aug 2013, 12:51

Well, lets all be very glad that he had nothing to do with it then. We all know that the Japanese have forgotten how to make interesting games outside of Nintendo anyway...
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and where ever truth, love and laughter abide, I will be there in spirit.
Bill Hicks 1961-1994
skellen79 28

Postby Ozzpot » 23 Aug 2013, 13:13

I hated the original Dead Rising. Maybe I bought it because I was impressed by the technical achievement of all those zombies on screen at once. Or maybe it was the tin case it came in. I can't resist a tin case. But the stupid time limits and the stupid AI ruined it for me. And to be honest, no-matter how many ways there were to kill zombies, I found the gameplay mind-meltingly repetitive. What's more, I found the trademark humour misplaced. It's a subjective thing, but bizarre and sometimes camp slapstick doesn't seem to belong in a zombie survival game. Surely it takes a pretty unusual sort of person to find that combination amusing, and not the sort of person I would like to meet.

I disliked the game so much, that it pretty much put me off all zombie games. I hated Left 4 Dead, I hated the zombies crap that comes with every Treyarch CoD, and the rest (Dead Island etc) I have completely avoided. So when Dead Rising 2 came out, I most certainly was not interested. Having said that, I downloaded it when it was free for Gold members this month, but at time of writing, it remains unplayed. I will get round to it. I wanted to play it as a "warm-up" for DR3, which I have, to the surprise of those who know me, pre-ordered. I only hope it serves to awaken me to something wonderful in it that I missed all those years ago. My fear is that it will only strengthen my prejudices and put me off the upcoming reboot. If the cover art is anything to go by, the latter may be true.

So why am I getting Dead Rising 3 at all? Well it's purely because the direction seems to have changed. It does look more gritty, more realistic. Breaking into a house and finding a handgun, strapping a torch to it to make a tactical, or a worst, improvising something from a sledgehammer and a circular saw seems to me more appropriate to a survival game than wearing a gingham dress and beating zombies to death with a traffic cone or a foam finger. The silliness has been toned down enough for me to see past it and be wowed at the incredible density and destroyed beauty of the new world that has been created. The potential for varied gameplay and exploration that the new hardware has afforded looks fantastic. And the removal of time limits on most difficulty levels is the deal breaker. Ok so it's clear that I've only watched the initial reveal. That's deliberate. I am afraid of seeing any more, because right now, I'm sold. Honestly, if there was some subtle humour in there, I wouldn't mind, but please don't ruin the atmosphere.
Ozzpot 3

Postby SilentDark » 23 Aug 2013, 13:29

It's not the game I would have made either. I would have made Chuck Norris, Mr. T and The Rock vs an army of Nazi zombies, now that is a blockbuster game right there.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby Odog4ever » 23 Aug 2013, 14:58

msbhvn wrote:Losing the time limits is a concern, that there won't be a sense of urgency in DR3, but having to play through the first games multiple times before you can save everyone was a bit stupid.

Time limits aren't gone. There is a mode with time limits and one without. More options for everybody.
Odog4ever 2

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Aug 2013, 16:17

Ozzpot wrote:I hate dead people.

So you hate all zombie games especially dead rising because of the humour you don't like, yet you hate left 4 dead which doesn't really have any humour so you're buying a zombie game. That is not logical captain. I almost hope you don't like it simply for being daft.

I'd personally have made a game with Mr T, Chuck Norris and Ivan Drago against Communist Zombies. Mainly because the commies won and Ivan Drago is much better than the Rock.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby GHOSTY05 » 23 Aug 2013, 17:08

FishyGinger wrote:
Ozzpot wrote:I hate dead people.

So you hate all zombie games especially dead rising because of the humour you don't like, yet you hate left 4 dead which doesn't really have any humour so you're buying a zombie game. That is not logical captain. I almost hope you don't like it simply for being daft.

I'd personally have made a game with Mr T, Chuck Norris and Ivan Drago against Communist Zombies. Mainly because the commies won and Ivan Drago is much better than the Rock.

Pointless though, as everyone knows chuck norris cannot and will not be killed, zombies would not even bother attacking him.

He would simply round house kick them all in the face!

It would also become very repetitive as Chuck Norris only has one move, and this would be to round house kick all Zombies in the face.
GHOSTY05 40

Postby Maximus T » 23 Aug 2013, 17:39

GHOSTY05 wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:

Pointless though, as everyone knows chuck norris cannot and will not be killed, zombies would not even bother attacking him.

He would simply round house kick them all in the face!

It would also become very repetitive as Chuck Norris only has one move, and this would be to round house kick all Zombies in the face.

Let's turn the tables then. We play as Stephen Fry, James May and Richard Osman against the zombie hordes, with Mr T, Ivan Drago and Chuck Norris for zombies for boss battles.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby winter » 24 Aug 2013, 02:51

I like the direction they're heading. I never bought DR or DR2, but I did play it, and get DR 2 and Case Zero since it was free, but I don't really like them. First of all, if I try to explore or do something like try to find good weapons / combinations, the time for a mission runs out, and I don't usually save in it, since I think it's pretty terrible and slow, but DR3 is a must have for me. I like the L4D series, but not the DR series. I usually like CoD Zombies maps for a few days, then get bored. I would prefer a more serious zombie game though, and luckily, this seems to be a little more serious. I don't have much respect for the original creator, other than the fact that it has a few fun things to do, and if they weren't made, DR3 obviously wouldn't be made, or be named the same and be exactly how it is.
winter 17

Next