to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rare: we've got ideas for Kinect in Perfect Dark, Banjo, Viv

Your comments on our articles.

Multiple new titles likely after Kinect Sports Rivals

Rare has plenty of ideas about how to get its classic game brands on Xbox One, the studio's Simon Woodroffe told us at Gamescom, and it's likely that the studio will start work on multiple new titles once it releases Kinect Sports Rivals early next year.... read more

Postby Plamsa wing » 23 Aug 2013, 15:00

Have the gods answered my prayers or is it just some of that OXM magic at work again? Even if it's not definite, this is some awesome news.

Hopefully if they do another Viva Pinata, they'll take a look at what Kinect and SmartGlass can do for it.

No mention of Kameo though...
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: Rare: we've got ideas for Kinect in Perfect Dark, Banjo,

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 15:02

VIVA PINATA!!!!! :D
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 23 Aug 2013, 15:06

I was very impressed with how accurately the Kinect 2 recreated Aoife in the Gamescom video, and it also seems to be able to tell the difference between open and closed fists. Glad they're using controller for menus as otherwise it is just so slow. I has been said that we don't need as much distance between ourselves and the sensor but what about the distances to the side? I've been playing Kinect sports recently and there is a lot of sideways stuff that I have problems with, like intercepting passes in footy, or returning wide volleyball shots.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby northernmonkey75 » 23 Aug 2013, 15:49

About time, I'd be happy for any of the mentioned games and would especially love to see what they can do with Viva pinata, it's such a good game.
northernmonkey75 30

Postby lazercut123 » 23 Aug 2013, 16:16

Did anyone else watch the old viva piƱata tv show? I remember that being good.
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby ChaoticP » 23 Aug 2013, 18:06

Nice to see Kinect getting the support of a fine studio like Rare and even better news to hear some classics returning. I know Rare hasn't been very popular as of late, but that studio still holds some pretty great talent imo.
ChaoticP 47

Postby omnibombulator » 23 Aug 2013, 18:11

Any suggestions for them?

Don't touch the old IP's, chances are you'll ruin them.
omnibombulator 1

Postby evilcanofsoda » 23 Aug 2013, 18:16

So this is like a subliminal confirmation that this titles are coming to the Xbox One?.
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby ChaoticP » 23 Aug 2013, 18:19

omnibombulator wrote:
Any suggestions for them?

Don't touch the old IP's, chances are you'll ruin them.

I don't understand the idea of ruining an IP, better to use them than leave them in a shed to be forgotten.
ChaoticP 47

Postby xUKDrAGoNBorN » 23 Aug 2013, 20:30

we need a new conker game
xUKDrAGoNBorN 16

Postby Dave3 » 23 Aug 2013, 21:56

Maybe! We've got an idea for that {Perfect Dark}. It would be controller plus Kinect.

NO! NO!!!! NO!!! Bad Rare Bad.

Forget everything about Kinect, in fact don't even think about trying to "change gameplay to appeal to a new demographic" because you did that with Conker and screwed that up, and you did that with Banjo Kazooie an screwed that up. Don't make any radical changes to the formula of what made the original IP's classic
Dave3 1

Postby Maximus T » 23 Aug 2013, 22:18

Dave3 wrote:
Maybe! We've got an idea for that {Perfect Dark}. It would be controller plus Kinect.

Forget everything about Kinect, in fact don't even think about trying to "change gameplay to appeal to a new demographic" because you did that with Conker and screwed that up, and you did that with Banjo Kazooie an screwed that up. Don't make any radical changes to the formula of what made the original IP's classic

Key point: Controller plus Kinect. That makes it likely that it will be useful stuff more along the lines of voice or small gestures, it won't destroy what the game was about. Also, I would say Rare are currently the most experienced studio to be using Kinect well, what with the good Kinect sports games.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Dave2123 » 24 Aug 2013, 03:21

Maximus T wrote:Key point: Controller plus Kinect. That makes it likely that it will be useful stuff more along the lines of voice or small gestures, it won't destroy what the game was about. Also, I would say Rare are currently the most experienced studio to be using Kinect well, what with the good Kinect sports games.

I agree, it sounds just like what the majority of next gen games seems to be doing. They're making it work with the controller, but enabling Kinect in places if you wish to use it.
Dave2123 29

Postby Decent_Jam » 26 Aug 2013, 16:27

Dave3 wrote:

If all you want is what the games were like before then why not pick up an old game and replay it?

Innovation is coming and it has me very excited. Rare have been stifled with Kinect only for too long and to see them return to form with things exactly like this is exactly what the new Xbox needs. Bring it on.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58