to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft releases "hands-on" video of the Xbox One controll

Your comments on our articles.

Lead Designer of the controller talks precision, comfort and realism

As promised, there's been a pretty substantial information blowout on the Xbox One coming out of Gamescom, not least this video released by Microsoft showing off some of the smaller but no less important changes to the controller of the new console.... read more

Microsoft releases "hands-on" video of the Xbox One controll

Postby Cpt Rex Kramer » 24 Aug 2013, 14:15

As strange as it sounds, one of the reasons I went with the Xbox over other rivals is because of the controller. The feel of the 360 controller is far, far better than that of, say, the PS3's. It contours better to the hand, has a decent weight to it, it's responsive, and is solidly built (The last point I know for sure as I have sometimes found the controller strangely flying out of my hands due to fits of rage playing FPSs, and yet it's still going strong years later. ;) ). The PS3's on the other hand, feels like a cheap kids toy. I'm not trying to bash the PS3, as it has some fine qualities as well as games, but the controller is not one of them. Hopefully, the new controller for the Xbox One does not deviate too far from the 360's.
Cpt Rex Kramer 27

Re: Microsoft releases "hands-on" video of the Xbox One cont

Postby Windowlicker79 » 24 Aug 2013, 14:44

I'm really impressed with how much time and effort they've spent on getting the controller right, instead of throwing money at touch panels and built in screens.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby Grummy » 24 Aug 2013, 15:01

Windowlicker79 wrote:I'm really impressed with how much time and effort they've spent on getting the controller right, instead of throwing money at touch panels and built in screens.

They actually DID throw money at those things, then decided against them :P
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby GossipHound » 24 Aug 2013, 17:46

Cpt Rex Kramer wrote:As strange as it sounds, one of the reasons I went with the Xbox over other rivals is because of the controller.

Your not the only one. My decision to go with the Xbox 360 over the PS3 was down to the controller as well. Having the trigger buttons when playing any game that involves shooting makes all the difference to me. Just isn't the same with shoulder buttons.
Peace through superior firepower.
GossipHound 31

Postby evilcanofsoda » 24 Aug 2013, 17:53

Let't count the ones I remember

1. Impulse triggers
2. Redefined D-pad (My second favorite change)
3. The directions in the D-pad are clicks not buttons
4. Bigger shoulder buttons
5. Bigger triggers
6. Better ergonomics on top and sides of the controller
7. Reduced space between ABXY buttons.
8. IR lights for control recognition
9. Smaller triggers for better grip (EDIT: Actualy it's smaller sticks not triggers. shame on me :oops: )
10. Texture on the outside of the analog sticks
11. Reduced space between bumpers and triggers
12. Magnetic trigger sensor. (Instead of pressure sensitive. This change it's my 3th favorite)
13. Almost no dead zone on the sticks (My favorite change)
14. The use of Wi-Fi Drirect on the controller (Now this is interesting because Wi-Fi direct has a transfer speed of 250Mbps compared to Bluetooth 4.0 (The one that the DualShock 4 controller uses) 30Mbps, the response of the DualShock 4 button press it will be close to 60 milliseconds this is 20 milliseconds faster than the 360 (80) but the Xbox One controller it will be a lot faster, it will be like 7.5 milliseconds or even less. So this means a way faster response when you push the button, of course there is a lot of other things to take in notice like the speed in which the data will be read, the time it will take to generate the image and send it to the TV based on the response, etc, etc but anyway the response time it will be noticeable shorter)
15. The dual PCB inside the controller
16. The integrated battery chamber (Instead of the big bulky chamber on the 360)
17. It's a screw less controller
18. The use of Micro-USB 3.0 port (for charging and data transfer)
19. The proprietary port for the headset.
20. The Dashboard button it's up in the controller.
21. The pause button it's further away from the X button (this is a problem for me with the 360 controller... when playing mortal kombat, sometimes when I get too exited I push pause instead of X)

:D

I don't know any more (or remember) right now. :(

Most of the changes are really small ones which for me it's pretty awesome. I wanted a controller that felt familiar with the previous one but that also felt better than the previous one. And that's exactly what we got. :mrgreen:
Last edited by evilcanofsoda on 25 Aug 2013, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby Yungstar 2006 » 24 Aug 2013, 19:44

hands on to me would = the thing being used in games and being told on how the rumble triggers are working in those games.
Yungstar 2006 11

Postby PCG The_B » 24 Aug 2013, 20:29

evilcanofsoda wrote:Let't count the ones I remember

A small one you've missed, though it probably counts, is the Start and Back buttons being changed for essentially "Menu" and "Task-switch" ones.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Fargoth » 24 Aug 2013, 21:37

Everything they've been telling us is getting me really excited to use it, but there's one possible change they've made to the controller that they haven't spoken of yet; the weight of the whole thing. Aside from all the obvious things to love about it, the 360 controller had a very pleasing weight to it. Made the thing you were holding feel sturdy, reliable and in-place. :D

I just hope they haven't gone and made the new controller too light, as most companies seem to be doing that to all their fancy new electronics.
Fargoth 28

Postby evilcanofsoda » 25 Aug 2013, 00:51

PCG The_B wrote:
evilcanofsoda wrote:Let't count the ones I remember

A small one you've missed, though it probably counts, is the Start and Back buttons being changed for essentially "Menu" and "Task-switch" ones.

Thanks. :) I forgotten about those. But we still don't reach 40. I wonder what the other changes are. They should do an official list.
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby evilcanofsoda » 25 Aug 2013, 01:03

Fargoth wrote:Everything they've been telling us is getting me really excited to use it, but there's one possible change they've made to the controller that they haven't spoken of yet; the weight of the whole thing. Aside from all the obvious things to love about it, the 360 controller had a very pleasing weight to it. Made the thing you were holding feel sturdy, reliable and in-place. :D

I just hope they haven't gone and made the new controller too light, as most companies seem to be doing that to all their fancy new electronics.

I've read somewhere that it is basically the same weight, a little bit heavier because of the dual PCB (just about 3 grams more).
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby Twilight Error » 25 Aug 2013, 02:06

evilcanofsoda wrote:Let't count the ones I remember...

I recall hearing that the ABXY buttons are slightly shorter, too. They also changed the look of the letters inside the buttons.

At any rate, very nice list you've compiled there. That's the first time I've seen so many listed in one place. Microsoft, make checks payable to evilcanofsoda.
Last edited by Twilight Error on 25 Aug 2013, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight Error 42

Postby Dave2123 » 25 Aug 2013, 02:08

Cpt Rex Kramer wrote:It contours better to the hand, has a decent weight to it, it's responsive, and is solidly built (The last point I know for sure as I have sometimes found the controller strangely flying out of my hands due to fits of rage playing FPSs, and yet it's still going strong years later. ;) ).

I don't know which controllers you've been using, but their nothing like the one's I've had. I wouldn't dare chuck the 360 controllers like I did with the PS2 ones, because I've had a couple of 360 controllers break after being dropped a couple of inches onto carpet. They are terrible, really terrible. I've heard other people say they're sturdy, but all the ones I've had have been rubbish, and that was one of the things I was hoping they'd change. I keep reading your comment over again and can't believe we've been using the same controllers. If you apply too much pressure to certain parts or drop them on a sofa they'll turn off and they break far too easily. This, along with the 360 chewing up the disc if you move it even a couple of millimeters, was something I was hoping they'd get right this time.
Dave2123 29

Postby evilcanofsoda » 25 Aug 2013, 05:45

Twilight Error wrote:
evilcanofsoda wrote:Let't count the ones I remember...

I recall hearing that the ABXY buttons are slightly shorter, too. They also changed the look of the letters inside the buttons.

At any rate, very nice list you've compiled there. That's the first time I've seen so many listed in one place. Microsoft, make checks payable to evilcanofsoda.

Hahaha thanks. Those are another 2 I forgot to add to the list. :wink:
I'm going to apply for "Official list maker" at Microsoft. :lol:
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby evilcanofsoda » 25 Aug 2013, 07:08

Dave2123 wrote: I don't know which controllers you've been using, but their nothing like the one's I've had. I wouldn't dare chuck the 360 controllers like I did with the PS2 ones, because I've had a couple of 360 controllers break after being dropped a couple of inches onto carpet. They are terrible, really terrible. I've heard other people say they're sturdy, but all the ones I've had have been rubbish, and that was one of the things I was hoping they'd change. I keep reading your comment over again and can't believe we've been using the same controllers. If you apply too much pressure to certain parts or drop them on a sofa they'll turn off and they break far too easily. This, along with the 360 chewing up the disc if you move it even a couple of millimeters, was something I was hoping they'd get right this time.

I've dropped my favorite 360 controller a couple of times on the stairs (when I'm rushing down to the 1st floor). And it's still as good as new. :mrgreen:

The Xbox One controller it's been made to last at least 10 years of bad handling (dropping it several times, trowing it to a wall, trowing it to the floor angrily, etc, etc) said Zulfi Alam (general manager of the Xbox accessories group) and also Quinting Morris said that. So I guess you shall not worry any more about the control of the Xbox One breaking.

As for the Xbox One chewing up discs I don't know. But I guess they addressed that problem.
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 25 Aug 2013, 10:09

Two questions, one of which I foresee as a possible problem.

Scenario: My son is playing on my 360 on his profile, he is stuck at a particular point and so passes me his controller and I help him out (admittedly this scenario is sometimes the other way round!). This is not an issue of the 360, but what will happen on the One when Kinect realises that it is now me, and not my son, holding the controller? Will it throw me out of my sons' game?

Also, with the controller being wireless, and the battery being integral, what happens when the battery dies? How is the controller recharged? If it is plugging in a wire, then this is a problem for me because of where I sit within my front room; I used to wear wired headphones, but had to change to wireless ones simply because I got really irritated as people would trip on the cable and yank the headphones off my head. I can see this happening with the controller, if it has a 'plug and charge' system. I'm sure that this issue of how the controller is charged has been covered somewhere else, but cannot remember it for the life of me.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Next