to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - why Oddworld's only FPS deserve

Your comments on our articles.

The best first-person shooter you never played

So firstly, a confession. I never liked the original Oddword games. Abe's odysseys were a bit too weird for me, with that deliberately grotesque art style and those serious environmental themes. I'd been raised in the gently surreal cartoon wonderland that was the Mushroom Kingdom, thanks very much, and by contrast, Abe and Munch's adventures just seemed a bit bizarre.... read more

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - why Oddworld's only FPS deserve

Postby LethalBuddha » 25 Aug 2013, 12:35

The only part of the games that entertained me was walking up to another odd world inhabitant who was working and farting on him until he got annoyed, small things for small minds eh.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Re: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - why Oddworld's only FPS des

Postby Blackout G83 » 25 Aug 2013, 14:47

LethalBuddha wrote:The only part of the games that entertained me was walking up to another odd world inhabitant who was working and farting on him until he got annoyed, small things for small minds eh.

Same lol
Blackout G83 39

Postby Plamsa wing » 25 Aug 2013, 15:02

Yes, yes and yes! Loved Stranger's Wrath, as a spin-off set in the Oddworld world, it very much worked. I'm glad I've still got my original Xbox, although I do have it on PSN and Steam now.

I do hope, if OWI manage to get New 'n' Tasty on the Xbox One, they might think about a Stranger's Wrath and Munch port.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby scorcher117 » 25 Aug 2013, 15:14

I miss this game so much, :cry:
scorcher117 14

Postby xPearse » 25 Aug 2013, 16:05

Maybe if Microsoft got off their fat asses we could have gotten the HD version on the 360 but sadly we didn't, awesome game and im disappointed that you didn't like the original games.
xPearse 26

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Aug 2013, 16:52

xPearse wrote:Maybe if Microsoft got off their fat asses we could have gotten the HD version on the 360 but sadly we didn't, awesome game and im disappointed that you didn't like the original games.

What? In what way didn't MS "get off their fat arses"? The problem with Strangers Wrath was it was too big for the Arcade memory limit of 2Gb. MS managed to find a work around but by that point the devs had gone off in a huff and refused to come back. There's nothing stopping them releasing it on the 360 except their own pride
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby xPearse » 25 Aug 2013, 21:18

CunningSmile wrote:
xPearse wrote:Maybe if Microsoft got off their fat asses we could have gotten the HD version on the 360 but sadly we didn't, awesome game and im disappointed that you didn't like the original games.

What? In what way didn't MS "get off their fat arses"? The problem with Strangers Wrath was it was too big for the Arcade memory limit of 2Gb. MS managed to find a work around but by that point the devs had gone off in a huff and refused to come back. There's nothing stopping them releasing it on the 360 except their own pride

They wanted to release it as 1200 MS points but since it was over the arcade size it would then have to be 1600 MS points but they didn't want it to be priced that much so they didn't bother. It was something like that if my memory serves me correctly, you have to respect them for wanting it to be that price rather than be more expensive. Maybe if Microsoft's publishing laws or whatnot were different then we could have gotten it released on 360.
xPearse 26

Postby Grummy » 25 Aug 2013, 22:22

Deleted your comment Tippy, can't be having people discussing that stuff so openly.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Dave2123 » 25 Aug 2013, 22:22

xPearse wrote:They wanted to release it as 1200 MS points but since it was over the arcade size it would then have to be 1600 MS points but they didn't want it to be priced that much so they didn't bother. It was something like that if my memory serves me correctly, you have to respect them for wanting it to be that price rather than be more expensive. Maybe if Microsoft's publishing laws or whatnot were different then we could have gotten it released on 360.

If that is true then it is a shame that Microsoft's policies worked like that. With The One, however, it seems like developers will get a bit more freedom when it comes to pricing; that's what I gathered about Indie developers, I'm not sure if it would be the same for the others.
Dave2123 29

Postby TippiestRook99 » 26 Aug 2013, 13:28

Grummy wrote:Deleted your comment Tippy, can't be having people discussing that stuff so openly.

Sorry :oops:
And that's why my butt hurts - Troy Baker - Men in Black:Alien Crisis

Since having a blog is mainstream these days.
http://eternalshag78.wordpress.com/
TippiestRook99 54

Postby Siteri » 26 Aug 2013, 15:10

i play Stranger's Wrath more than 10x and even now i play it with pleasure, yes it's the best 3d game, usually cause nausea 3d games but this 1, no I can not wait fangus oe something alse game from Oddworld
Siteri 1

Postby xPearse » 26 Aug 2013, 15:38

Dave2123 wrote:
xPearse wrote:They wanted to release it as 1200 MS points but since it was over the arcade size it would then have to be 1600 MS points but they didn't want it to be priced that much so they didn't bother. It was something like that if my memory serves me correctly, you have to respect them for wanting it to be that price rather than be more expensive. Maybe if Microsoft's publishing laws or whatnot were different then we could have gotten it released on 360.

If that is true then it is a shame that Microsoft's policies worked like that. With The One, however, it seems like developers will get a bit more freedom when it comes to pricing; that's what I gathered about Indie developers, I'm not sure if it would be the same for the others.

Well that's the Xbox One and not the 360, it's good that they are letting more freedom for indie game "next gen" but it's not the same for the current. The worse it got was the gears 3 weapon skins, cliffy B wanted them to be free but Microsoft said no because if you can make people pay for it you do, in total all skins costed 6000 MS points and that's criminal. Judgement is just as bad, Epic Fail games if you ask me.
xPearse 26

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Aug 2013, 15:48

Make up your mind, either Epic is the victim of MS restrictive policies or they are "epic fail" you can't have it both ways
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby xPearse » 26 Aug 2013, 21:24

CunningSmile wrote:Make up your mind, either Epic is the victim of MS restrictive policies or they are "epic fail" you can't have it both ways

I wouldn't say epic is the victim because if they wanted them to be free they could have just put it on the games disc instead of pretending you get something free by checking onto xbox live if they got there way. I just gave an example of how Microsoft's policies affect games, I just have some beef with them that's all so that's why I mentioned they are epic fail. Not that I want to start a discussion about epic games though.
xPearse 26