to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One release delay explained - there are no manufacturin

Your comments on our articles.

Gamescom demos using "real, final, retail kit"

Microsoft's head of product development, Albert Penello, has said that the console's delay in some European territories is due to the complexities of localising its new voice-control features, and pointed to its use of near-final retail kits at Gamescom as proof that there are no supply problems.... read more

Xbox One release delay explained - there are no manufacturin

Postby senote » 27 Aug 2013, 12:20

Let's not kid ourselves Europe isn't a priority for MS, it's not even in the top 10. We rank below the morning breakfast order for the xbox office, but above the leaving present for that weird secretary that nobody likes.
senote 27

Re: Xbox One release delay explained - there are no manufact

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Aug 2013, 12:38

I've said from when they first announced the delay that this was the case. If you look at the list of delayed countries it tends to be the ones with more unusual/less international languages like the various scandewegian countries.

One person on the comments for the original delay announcement asked why Holland was delayed rather than some of the Latin American countries considering Holland has a better economy? Simple answer is 28million people speak Dutch, compared to Spanish being the third most spoken language in the world, including the primary language of an estimated 1/3 of Americans. With the exception of Russia you can look at any of the delayed countries and you'll see a similar story; countries with relatively small populations that speak a language no one outside their home country speaks.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SHnumber7 » 27 Aug 2013, 12:40

Hmmmm, seems promising. I'm inn England so it's not to big of an issue for me but can see this really pissing people off in those 8 countries but as it's said you can just get one from a neighbouring country, obviously not as simple as I make it seem though.

I hate that you can't just say Play Station or Sony it just seems weird.
SHnumber7 3

Postby Thos. » 27 Aug 2013, 12:41

So users in Switzerland can buy a German, French or Italian Xbox and use it fine, as it's region-free.

Oh, and by the way, the three official languages spoken in Switzerland are German, French and Italian.

So why can't you buy the Xbox One in Switzerland again?

(Also, does this not strike anyone else as the most rubbish argument in the history of human verbal interaction:
"How can we possibly be having supply issues, when I have with me here a single Xbox One console?")
Thos. 46

Postby Raviel » 27 Aug 2013, 12:44

As long as my Kinect works properly since the last one didn't. Voice commands was a big reason I bought Kinect for the 360 but I later found out that I paid full price for an accessory that couldn't reach it's full potential in my country. So I'm glad they're making sure that it works for me this time :)
Raviel 25

Postby Pompey78 » 27 Aug 2013, 12:46

when you say europe are you including/referring tot he UK?

the 360 had a staggered launch I believe across europe and if memory serves me right i think australia didn't get the 360 until way later than most other places and they are one of the first to get the ONE this time around.

logisticaly a major product will always launch in certain territories first with others following. Apple and the iphone/ipad weren't globally released to every country at the same time so why should Microsooft or Sony etc try to do that. Items like you 50" TV probably came out in Asia and the US before hitting the european and UK markets months later.

If you live in one of the impacted countries then I can see that you'd be pissed off at any delay but it's simple logistics and despite what thet say, if they do have high demand over the first two months (Nov and Dec) you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be shortages of the ONE and the PS4.
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 33

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Aug 2013, 12:50

Raviel wrote:As long as my Kinect works properly since the last one didn't. Voice commands was a big reason I bought Kinect for the 360 but I later found out that I paid full price for an accessory that couldn't reach it's full potential in my country. So I'm glad they're making sure that it works for me this time :)

Your Swedish aren't you? My memory is a little vague so apologies if I got the wrong country but I do remember you saying you were effected by the delay. It's interesting to actually hear from someone being forced to wait who views this as a good thing, rather than listening to a bunch of people from the UK being annoyed on your behalf.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 27 Aug 2013, 12:53

It is a bit of a non-issue. I have no idea why it's OK to say "We haven't done the voice recognition yet" and not to say "We're creating very complex chips which have more yield problems than usual".

If anything, blaming the manufacturing is a better excuse, but 'the internet' seems to think that admitting that would be tantamount to commercial suicide.
Thos. 46

Postby FordGTGuy » 27 Aug 2013, 13:23

senote wrote:Let's not kid ourselves Europe isn't a priority for MS, it's not even in the top 10. We rank below the morning breakfast order for the xbox office, but above the leaving present for that weird secretary that nobody likes.

Microsoft footing the bill for free FIFA 14 copies with every European preorder and giving a free game to every preorder in a delayed country... Yep they don't care at all....
FordGTGuy 4

Postby Raviel » 27 Aug 2013, 14:45

CunningSmile wrote:
Raviel wrote:As long as my Kinect works properly since the last one didn't. Voice commands was a big reason I bought Kinect for the 360 but I later found out that I paid full price for an accessory that couldn't reach it's full potential in my country. So I'm glad they're making sure that it works for me this time :)

Your Swedish aren't you? My memory is a little vague so apologies if I got the wrong country but I do remember you saying you were effected by the delay. It's interesting to actually hear from someone being forced to wait who views this as a good thing, rather than listening to a bunch of people from the UK being annoyed on your behalf.

That's true, A real Viking here :P
I like the idea of Kinect, the creativity that can be achieved. Even the mind behind Journey wants to make games for the new Kinect. And it would be ashamed if I couldn't play those games because of a Kinect that is not localised to Sweden. I just want what I'm paying for, the full product :P
Raviel 25

Postby scham81 » 27 Aug 2013, 16:14

I do hope Europe doesn't have to wait 2 weeks longer for the system like our PS counterparts.
scham81 34

Postby IKtotheC » 27 Aug 2013, 16:46

senote wrote:Let's not kid ourselves Europe isn't a priority for MS, it's not even in the top 10. We rank below the morning breakfast order for the xbox office, but above the leaving present for that weird secretary that nobody likes.

If MS really hated Europe why did they give you a fake soccer game for free?
IKtotheC 2

Postby evilcanofsoda » 27 Aug 2013, 17:30

I'm buying my Xbox One in Russia. I wonder if Kinect can be set to understand English instead of Russian or even better both.
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby Hollg » 27 Aug 2013, 17:34

We need to know a date. With games it will be over £500. I'd like to know how many games I can pre-order. The sooner the launch day, the less pre-ordered games for me.
Hollg 29

Postby jttwister09 » 27 Aug 2013, 20:26

CunningSmile wrote:I've said from when they first announced the delay that this was the case. If you look at the list of delayed countries it tends to be the ones with more unusual/less international languages like the various scandewegian countries.

One person on the comments for the original delay announcement asked why Holland was delayed rather than some of the Latin American countries considering Holland has a better economy? Simple answer is 28million people speak Dutch, compared to Spanish being the third most spoken language in the world, including the primary language of an estimated 1/3 of Americans. With the exception of Russia you can look at any of the delayed countries and you'll see a similar story; countries with relatively small populations that speak a language no one outside their home country speaks.

I agree with what your saying besides the part about America. Spanish is not the primarily language for 1/3 of the american population its about 10 percent. The country is about 15 percent hispanic but not all the hispanic population speaks spanish because when they move here they teach the new generation english and some are from other parts of Latin America
jttwister09 30

Next