to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bethesda is "pushing" to let you play Elder Scrolls Online o

Your comments on our articles.

Publisher "has been in talks with Microsoft about that very thing"

The Elder Scrolls Online got a whole lot more contentious last week, when it emerged that the game would be available for a monthly fee - on top of what you'll pay for an Xbox Gold or PSN+ subscription.... read more

Bethesda is "pushing" to let you play Elder Scrolls Online o

Postby TheBobinator117 » 27 Aug 2013, 13:32

I'm sure many people will have Xbox Live Gold when using the Xbox One, and it would be nice to gain some sort of benefit from having Gold membership when playing The Elder Scrolls Online (perhaps a couple months free to make up for the costs) but I can understand why Microsoft have their reservations about it.
TheBobinator117 22

Re: Bethesda is "pushing" to let you play Elder Scrolls Onli

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Aug 2013, 13:45

I can see why Zenixmax want this and think it'll be a plus but;

What's in it for anyone else? Why should MS allow non-Gold users to use an online service when they've always restricted online play, and Sony are now following suit. Gold is a huge money maker for them and allows them to invest in the incredibly stable infra structure I'm sure Sony wish they had after the hack.

More importantly what's in it for me? I'm going to have Gold anyway, like the majority of people who buy a One especially early on, so I'll still have to "swallow" a second fee each month in order to play ESO, which effectively has ended any interest I have in this game.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 27 Aug 2013, 13:47

If this happened, many many RPG fans currently paying for Xbox Gold will then find they have to pay a subscription to play ESO, and say to themselves "I don't play anything else online, I may as well cancel my Gold subscription, and just play this"

I'd be very surprised Microsoft would allow that.
Thos. 46

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 27 Aug 2013, 13:48

Having to pay for live and Elder Scrolls Online every month definitely puts me off. I haven't renewed my Live membership for quite some time in protest of all the advertising Microsoft slap on the dashboard, you would think the money they make from that would be sufficient to run the service.

Not including the rare dashboard offers of one month of live for £1 I really don't see myself renewing my membership until Dark Souls 2 comes out.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby James Banks » 27 Aug 2013, 14:01

CunningSmile wrote:I can see why Zenixmax want this and think it'll be a plus but;

What's in it for anyone else? Why should MS allow non-Gold users to use an online service when they've always restricted online play, and Sony are now following suit. Gold is a huge money maker for them and allows them to invest in the incredibly stable infra structure I'm sure Sony wish they had after the hack.

More importantly what's in it for me? I'm going to have Gold anyway, like the majority of people who buy a One especially early on, so I'll still have to "swallow" a second fee each month in order to play ESO, which effectively has ended any interest I have in this game.

I always thought MS woudn't allow a sub on the Gold. Wargaming said MS wouldn't allow them to charge a sub. So I don't see why TESO gets a sub and WOT doesn't.

I no longer pay subs for MMO's so I'm out no matter what MS does.
James Banks 18

Postby TheBobinator117 » 27 Aug 2013, 14:32

James Banks wrote:
I always thought MS woudn't allow a sub on the Gold. Wargaming said MS wouldn't allow them to charge a sub. So I don't see why TESO gets a sub and WOT doesn't.

I no longer pay subs for MMO's so I'm out no matter what MS does.

I don't see why they don't just release the game and sell it at retail price without any subscriptions. People won't look forward to paying for Xbox Live Gold, while alongside it having to pay for this subscription as well.
TheBobinator117 22

Postby Maximus T » 27 Aug 2013, 14:42

Well they can say they want to avoid giving us two subs to pay, but they would be doing so a lot easier by not having said fees for their game, rather than being the only (extremely emphasized) game to not need gold to play online.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby SilentDark » 27 Aug 2013, 14:42

Well I suppose it depends, if Bethesda have their own servers and are maintaining these servers themselves then I really don't see what MS has to do with it and on what grounds they would refuse (apart from the "we'd make less money" grounds) to be honest, I don't know why there is a gold, I don't see the benefits, unless they are providing the servers for online play then what does the charge even serve? If they want to run and maintain their own servers separate from MS then I say they should be allowed to do that. It's then up to customers if they want to pay for that service or not.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Aug 2013, 14:46

SilentDark wrote:Well I suppose it depends, if Bethesda have their own servers and are maintaining these servers themselves then I really don't see what MS has to do with it and on what grounds they would refuse (apart from the "we'd make less money" grounds) to be honest, I don't know why there is a gold, I don't see the benefits, unless they are providing the servers for online play then what does the charge even serve? If they want to run and maintain their own servers separate from MS then I say they should be allowed to do that. It's then up to customers if they want to pay for that service or not.

MS say it's to allow the infrastructure and security for the online play. Comparing it to the frequent hacks Sony experienced in the last few years I think it's working.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Pidgeman » 27 Aug 2013, 14:48

Are you kidding me?
I loved Oblivion and Skyrim. Played both for about a year after release. Frankly I was already extremely dubious about elder scrolls going online anyway because there's nothing like random members of the public to ruin anything, but now you're telling me that as well as buying the game in the first place I've got to pay an extra £108 a year to play it. Thanks but no thanks.
Pidgeman 36

Postby SilentDark » 27 Aug 2013, 14:53

CunningSmile wrote:
MS say it's to allow the infrastructure and security for the online play. Comparing it to the frequent hacks Sony experienced in the last few years I think it's working.

That says to me that MS run the servers than control online play, if Bethesda want to run their own and take responsibility for it well why not?
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Starfox 777 » 27 Aug 2013, 15:28

This is unreal. having spent X amount on a phoneline, a broadband package, a console [ soon to be xbox one due to the quality of games and apps out soon ] a gold membership [ which enables me to use apps play and chat with friends ] ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE now wants to charge me X amount for their game and £8.99 a month for 30 days play to which i work 24 days out of them 30, would play 1 - 2 hours if i`m able due to thing called life. It`s so not worth it !! 99% of people will buy gold membership because of multiplayer aspect. Charge PC / MAC fine but to consoles should of been a DLC CHOICE !! For now me and friends won`t buy it till it goes f2p and we all know give it a year it will if not plenty of other games out their !!!
Starfox 777 1

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Aug 2013, 15:59

Starfox 777 wrote:This is unreal. having spent X amount on a phoneline, a broadband package, a console [ soon to be xbox one due to the quality of games and apps out soon ] a gold membership [ which enables me to use apps play and chat with friends ] ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE now wants to charge me X amount for their game and £8.99 a month for 30 days play to which i work 24 days out of them 30, would play 1 - 2 hours if i`m able due to thing called life. It`s so not worth it !! 99% of people will buy gold membership because of multiplayer aspect. Charge PC / MAC fine but to consoles should of been a DLC CHOICE !! For now me and friends won`t buy it till it goes f2p and we all know give it a year it will if not plenty of other games out their !!!

Not entirely sure why you include the phone line and broadband in that list, since I doubt Zenimax are in any position to be getting money towards their game from British Telecom.

And why should PC and Mac gamers be made to pay and not you? I agree they shouldn't have a monthly subscription, I'm just baffled by the double standard.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby incognito » 27 Aug 2013, 16:05

I pre ordered next Gen for The Elder Scrolls online. I pay to pay online and accept the fact that its needed to bring a quality service to the public. What has got into Zenimax? I think that they have seen the success of Bethesda and decided to try and milk the gamer for all it can. Lets compare to to GTA V they have produced a single player game and added a free online mode. I have not heard one bad remark, because they are known for value for money.

If Microsoft backs down on this it will be worse than DRM.

From someone who considers himself an Elder scrolls fan the Message is loud and clear. "KEEP IT" I have paid my subs for online games and not paying any more. (Slams the door on the way out to Blockbuster to cancel).
incognito 17

Postby rafoca » 27 Aug 2013, 16:14

Will it make any difference? People who buy Xbox One for Online play will surely buy Xbox Live Gold anyway
rafoca 30

Next