to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 15 mi

Your comments on our articles.

Undead hit or total shambles? Aoife takes a swing at Xbox One's grottiest exclusive

How much havoc do you reckon you can cause in the time it takes to brew up a pot of coffee? I mean, if you had to put a number on it - how many undead do you reckon you could dispatch in a quarter of an hour?... read more

Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 15 mi

Postby Grummy » 27 Aug 2013, 15:32

:shock: Me. Want.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9049
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Timmeh555 » 27 Aug 2013, 15:51

For someone who has not played the previous versions of this game, is it basically then just kill as many zombies, in as many possible ways, in crazy costumes with crazy weapons, with a vague hint of a story then?
Timmeh555 44
 
Posts: 277
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Neil H » 27 Aug 2013, 15:53

The 'rescue the pensioner' mission from DR2 brings back painful memories for me too :|
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
User avatar
Neil H 22
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 29 Jul 2013, 10:06

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby msbhvn » 27 Aug 2013, 15:54

Timmeh555 wrote:For someone who has not played the previous versions of this game, is it basically then just kill as many zombies, in as many possible ways, in crazy costumes with crazy weapons, with a vague hint of a story then?


Absolutely not, though you can play it that way. The zombie outbreak is usually part of the story and it's the motivation for the survivors and psychopaths. The zombies in the game are more an obstacle between you and saving survivors.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Timmeh555 » 27 Aug 2013, 16:07

msbhvn wrote:
Timmeh555 wrote:For someone who has not played the previous versions of this game, is it basically then just kill as many zombies, in as many possible ways, in crazy costumes with crazy weapons, with a vague hint of a story then?


Absolutely not, though you can play it that way. The zombie outbreak is usually part of the story and it's the motivation for the survivors and psychopaths. The zombies in the game are more an obstacle between you and saving survivors.

so there is a story of, basically put, an out break of some kind, you survive and then are trying to survive whilst also helping to help others survive, and to survive you need to kill zombies and then I guess get other survivors to help. with some craziness if you want?
Timmeh555 44
 
Posts: 277
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby msbhvn » 27 Aug 2013, 16:14

You don't really need to kill zombies to survive, you get XP for it and you can eventually level up that way, but you get way more XP for saving survivors and doing missions for them. Zombies are mostly just there to prevent you saving survivors.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Grummy » 27 Aug 2013, 16:15

Timmeh555 wrote:so there is a story of, basically put, an out break of some kind, you survive and then are trying to survive whilst also helping to help others survive, and to survive you need to kill zombies and then I guess get other survivors to help. with some craziness if you want?


Not quite. There is a strong story that runs through each game, it always has something to do with the outbreak, but the story isn't some half assed thing just to give you direction whilst you play, and it's not just about surviving, they're complete stories unraveling the mystery of the outbreak. The whole 'Kill zombies and rescue survivors' stuff is basically extra curricular activity that you don't need to do.

Why don't you just DL DR2 for free and give it a play?
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9049
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Timmeh555 » 27 Aug 2013, 16:26

Grummy wrote:
Timmeh555 wrote:so there is a story of, basically put, an out break of some kind, you survive and then are trying to survive whilst also helping to help others survive, and to survive you need to kill zombies and then I guess get other survivors to help. with some craziness if you want?


Not quite. There is a strong story that runs through each game, it always has something to do with the outbreak, but the story isn't some half assed thing just to give you direction whilst you play, and it's not just about surviving, they're complete stories unraveling the mystery of the outbreak. The whole 'Kill zombies and rescue survivors' stuff is basically extra curricular activity that you don't need to do.

Why don't you just DL DR2 for free and give it a play?

I would DL DR2 but have no internet at home as a company which shall remain unnamed could not put in a phone line in time for a new house.(Houses have been being built for a year when we moved in) been waiting 3 months and hopefully only a few weeks away but I guess that it will no longer be free when I get it, still if it is about £5 then I will have a go.
Timmeh555 44
 
Posts: 277
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby evilcanofsoda » 27 Aug 2013, 17:16

Grummy wrote::shock: Me. Want.


Me. Want. Too. :P
User avatar
evilcanofsoda 28
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 06 Jul 2013, 04:45
Location: Guatemala

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby KodiakGT » 27 Aug 2013, 19:32

Timmeh555 wrote:
Grummy wrote:
Not quite. There is a strong story that runs through each game, it always has something to do with the outbreak, but the story isn't some half assed thing just to give you direction whilst you play, and it's not just about surviving, they're complete stories unraveling the mystery of the outbreak. The whole 'Kill zombies and rescue survivors' stuff is basically extra curricular activity that you don't need to do.

Why don't you just DL DR2 for free and give it a play?

I would DL DR2 but have no internet at home as a company which shall remain unnamed could not put in a phone line in time for a new house.(Houses have been being built for a year when we moved in) been waiting 3 months and hopefully only a few weeks away but I guess that it will no longer be free when I get it, still if it is about £5 then I will have a go.


Not sure if this works the same for accounts outside U.S., but usually you could log in to xbox.com with your account and then purchase it on there (so you have the rights to it). That way you get the free price and can download it whenever you get internet at home.
KodiakGT 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Aug 2013, 19:28

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Dave2123 » 27 Aug 2013, 20:32

Timmeh555 wrote:I would DL DR2 but have no internet at home as a company which shall remain unnamed could not put in a phone line in time for a new house.(Houses have been being built for a year when we moved in) been waiting 3 months and hopefully only a few weeks away but I guess that it will no longer be free when I get it, still if it is about £5 then I will have a go.


There is more to the games than craziness, which this article doesn't talk about, but what everyone loves DR for is the craziness and the modifications and combos, so that's what Aoife used to describe her demo, which wasn't long enough to get a feel of the story. What you have to remember is that this article isn't a review, just a description of some cool aspects of the game. There is a story, and killing loads of zombies isn't the main part of the game, but it sure is fun.
User avatar
Dave2123 29
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 08 Apr 2013, 17:09

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Aug 2013, 20:37

Kodiak makes a good point; buy it on Xbox.com, even if you use a work PC or your phone, and when your Internet is fitted go to your download history and it should be there to redownload
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
User avatar
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10863
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Timmeh555 » 28 Aug 2013, 08:34

Got it on Xbox.com, never new that could be done so thanks for the info
Timmeh555 44
 
Posts: 277
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby Chameleon » 28 Aug 2013, 11:20

Timmeh555 wrote:Got it on Xbox.com, never new that could be done so thanks for the info

Now go to the settings menu on your xbox and make sure background downloads are set to 'on'.

Then take it to work, nab an ethernet cable from the IT department, plug it in under your desk and turn it on. No need for a screen, just wait 5 minutes, so you can be sure it's logged you in as far as the dashboard and turn it off. DR2 will have been added to your D/L queue by xbox.com and thus automatically download in the background. Once the power light stops flashing, it's finished the download and you can take it home and play offline. Simples!


Edit: EXCEPT.... I just remembered about Monday's 360 dash update! You'd have to go through the update process first and, without a screen, that's a tad awkward. Dammit. It was a good plan aside from that.
Chameleon 44
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 09:09

Re: Dead Rising 3 hands-on - how I killed 1,314 zombies in 1

Postby nathan6734 » 28 Aug 2013, 11:25

i love dead rising for the complete freedom to be and do what ever you want, you know the developer had fun creating the game purely because it was there imagination being let loose in developing it, my only concern with this is from the videos shown of people playing the demo, there seemed to be too many zombies, i know its odd to say, but sometimes to much is not good, people looked over whelmed, i just hope they tone it down a little so you still get the fun the game deserves without the frustration of constantly dieing from over zealous zombies :D
nathan6734 9
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Aug 2013, 11:20
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]