to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA says: Don't worry, our games won't be all free-to-play or

Your comments on our articles.

Offline and pay-upfront is "something many of our players want", agrees Moore

"We don't ship a game at EA that is offline," the company's chief operating officer Peter Moore told Engadget at Gamescom last week, cue a predictable wave of shock and recrimination. Fear not, everybody - Moore's had a change of heart, or rather, feels his comments were "misinterpreted".... read more

EA says: Don't worry, our games won't be all free-to-play or

Postby battfink83 » 28 Aug 2013, 11:07

Im sorry but there's no such thing as free to play on xbox. Never has been never will be.
Regardless of who gers the cash, we pay for gold to play online, we already have a fee to cough up. This is why I wont be buying any monthly subscription games loke elder scrolls online
battfink83 52

Re: EA says: Don't worry, our games won't be all free-to-pla

Postby SLBruinScotty » 28 Aug 2013, 11:42

Hm, yes, let's all trust ea, they've proven entirely trustworthy before....my this path seems awfully dim, better use my torch..huh..is that pit full of slaughtered and mutilated franchises?..
SLBruinScotty 9

Postby CunningSmile » 28 Aug 2013, 11:43

Moore's had a change of heart

Peter Moore has a heart? When did this happen? I demand Xrays!

And Bat, I think you're deliberatly being obtuse there. Yes we pay for Gold, but that doesn't mean the games themselves don't fall under the Free to Play umbrella. If you get a game from EA for no money and can play it then that is F2P. If you include the cost of Gold in the equation you may as well include the cost of the console and your broadband because the logic makes about as much sense. Neither Gold, the console nor your broadband are giving money back to EA, yet they are still willing to let you play their game, ergo it is free as far as they are concerned.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Aug 2013, 12:09

Did you need Gold to play Crash Course? Or am I being obtuse...
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby battfink83 » 28 Aug 2013, 15:48

CunningSmile wrote:
Moore's had a change of heart

Peter Moore has a heart? When did this happen? I demand Xrays!

And Bat, I think you're deliberatly being obtuse there. Yes we pay for Gold, but that doesn't mean the games themselves don't fall under the Free to Play umbrella. If you get a game from EA for no money and can play it then that is F2P. If you include the cost of Gold in the equation you may as well include the cost of the console and your broadband because the logic makes about as much sense. Neither Gold, the console nor your broadband are giving money back to EA, yet they are still willing to let you play their game, ergo it is free as far as they are concerned.

Im not being obtuse cunning, just accurate. If ea gave us a free game, that was free to play online, and took no cash (exepct from the obvious millions of micro transaction available lol ;) ), the game still wouldn't be free to play, unless of course it was available to silver accounts.
I know what your saying, honestly, but you cant ignore the fact that theres a fee to play any (so far non existent) free game online.

Of course this is just the view of a tight fisted coot
battfink83 52

Postby Grummy » 28 Aug 2013, 16:06

battfink83 wrote:Im not being obtuse cunning, just accurate. If ea gave us a free game, that was free to play online, and took no cash (exepct from the obvious millions of micro transaction available lol ;) ), the game still wouldn't be free to play, unless of course it was available to silver accounts.
I know what your saying, honestly, but you cant ignore the fact that theres a fee to play any (so far non existent) free game online.

The only way that would be accurate is if the same counted for all F2P games on PC too as you're still paying for the internet access to play them. If that is your standard then fine, I applaud your consistency, however if such is the case, you are misrepresenting the facts to prove a point no one was ever actually arguing. Free to play purely means that you don't have to pay to obtain or play the game like you would normally. Gold membership, the fees for internet, phone line, electricity bill, rental/mortgage payments, all of these things could technically count as money paid towards being able to play a game, and yet none of them actually count when designating something as 'Free to Play'.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 28 Aug 2013, 16:17

Grummy wrote:
battfink83 wrote:Im not being obtuse cunning, just accurate. If ea gave us a free game, that was free to play online, and took no cash (exepct from the obvious millions of micro transaction available lol ;) ), the game still wouldn't be free to play, unless of course it was available to silver accounts.

The only way that would be accurate is if the same counted for all F2P games on PC too as you're still paying for the internet access to play them. If that is your standard then fine, I applaud your consistency, however if such is the case, you are misrepresenting the facts to prove a point no one was ever actually arguing. Free to play purely means that you don't have to pay to obtain or play the game like you would normally. Gold membership, the fees for internet, phone line, electricity bill, rental/mortgage payments, all of these things could technically count as money paid towards being able to play a game, and yet none of them actually count when designating something as 'Free to Play'.

Indeed, Free-to-Play is sort of the genre, not the literal definition. A tagline perhaps for games which you can purchase onto your pre-existing internet connected device, for free.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby SilentDark » 28 Aug 2013, 16:20

The only real price of free to play games with EA is your immortal soul, but I've got one over on them given that I don't have one. :lol:
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Aug 2013, 16:58

SilentDark wrote:The only real price of free to play games with EA is your immortal soul, but I've got one over on them given that I don't have one. :lol:

Ginger people get a good deal on that one :P

Anyways I'm liking all the obtusivity going on. I only said it because Shawshank redemption was on the other night.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Grummy » 28 Aug 2013, 17:11

FishyGinger wrote:
SilentDark wrote:The only real price of free to play games with EA is your immortal soul, but I've got one over on them given that I don't have one. :lol:

Ginger people get a good deal on that one :P

Anyways I'm liking all the obtusivity going on. I only said it because Shawshank redemption was on the other night.

Cunning started it. Besides, we all know you're a quadripleglateral triagnal.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby battfink83 » 28 Aug 2013, 17:53

I wasnt really arguing a point, it's just an opinion, I wasnt looking for people to respond or anything really.maybe I shouldnt of posted it in a forum then. Silly me lol.i suppose that what my tired flu filled brain was trying to get across is im worried that alot of devs will adopt this f2p, gimme all your cash in micro transactions or get ruined online approach.OR pay monthly subscription, thus somewhat negating a major part of, what I understand to be, a key reason to have gold.

Never mind, we're still yet to see any form of f2p game on console, whens world of tanks out?
battfink83 52

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Aug 2013, 17:56

battfink83 wrote:Never mind, we're still yet to see any form of f2p game on console, whens world of tanks out?

what about Happy Wars, or Spartacus Legends?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby incognito » 29 Aug 2013, 08:49

One of the delaying factors of going Next Gen will be E.A,s approach to it's software. A lot of people are watching you Peter because at E3 you made a comment that you will unveil your plans for DRM within a month. I have herd nothing since.
incognito 17

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Aug 2013, 12:40

Grummy wrote:Cunning started it. Besides, we all know you're a quadripleglateral triagnal.

I always considered myself a paraplegic isosceles but I'll certainly take that as a clompiantament
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69