to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Battlefield 4 Xbox One: DICE sees "potential" in Titanfall-s

Your comments on our articles.

But has "stayed away from it for now" based on player feedback

Battlefield 4 is shaping up to be this winter's strongest shooter, despite a slight want of new ideas beneath that thick, crunchy layer of next generation pyrotechnics. Could developer DICE have done more with Xbox One's more esoteric capabilities, such as that much-trumpeted "magical" cloud support? I asked creative director Lars Gustavsson for his thoughts.... read more

Battlefield 4 Xbox One: DICE sees "potential" in Titanfall-s

Postby Neil H » 29 Aug 2013, 11:15

If the Cloud eliminates the 'low-ping b*stard' and host advantage, i'll be more than happy :)
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Re: Battlefield 4 Xbox One: DICE sees "potential" in Titanfa

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Aug 2013, 12:20

an offline mode (or online with friends) with bots would be pretty fun, especially if it lets you tweak all the rules to how you like
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Decent_Jam » 29 Aug 2013, 13:48

Metalrodent wrote:an offline mode (or online with friends) with bots would be pretty fun, especially if it lets you tweak all the rules to how you like

You just want to smudge the settings so you come top don't you? ;-)

BF4 is going to be my first Xbox One game, so I'm really looking forward to more in-depth coverage of this.

Any chance of a hands-on video from you guys Ed?
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Aug 2013, 13:51

Decent_Jam wrote:You just want to smudge the settings so you come top don't you? ;-)

No, I want to blow sh*t up :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Aug 2013, 14:04

Decent_Jam wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:an offline mode (or online with friends) with bots would be pretty fun, especially if it lets you tweak all the rules to how you like

You just want to smudge the settings so you come top don't you? ;-)

BF4 is going to be my first Xbox One game, so I'm really looking forward to more in-depth coverage of this.

Any chance of a hands-on video from you guys Ed?

As and when we're sent preview code, I'll be happy to look into it. DICE is keeping everything in-studio for the moment.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 29 Aug 2013, 14:16

I was talking with my Sony bro last night, and we agreed, Microsoft is cooler! LOLOLOLOLOL
After that we talked about Battlefield and came to the conclusion that snipers are big ol' bumfaces and they seriously spoil the game. The reason being, according to he, is that the sniper class has way too many gadgets that give them enormous advantage and can allow players to exploit the maps, para drop into crazy heard to reach places etc. He has a point I think, nobody likes getting shot in these games, but when its by a sniper from the other side of the map in a location you can't reach, it's bloody frustrating and can quickly spoil the game.

We came up with 3 possible scenarios to deal this. Send assassins around to kill sniper players (possibly a bit extreme), limit the number of snipers per team or take sniper classes out of the game and instead have sniper rifles as gun emplacements in specific locations around the maps, make them static so people always know where they are, the same as with turrets it means good players can still use them, but they can't camp on them and can't just snipe the entire game away.

We also feel that there should be limits on people using vehicles. First of all, if you get in a vehicle in your base or a safe zone, you can't move for 15 seconds, just in case there are other players who want to jump in (stops morons jumping in them and speeding off immediately) secondly, once you have piloted a vehicle, you can get in any number of vehicles in that life, but once you die, you have to wait 5 minutes before you can pilot another one. Again, this stops people from just hogging planes/choppers/tanks.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Pompey78 » 29 Aug 2013, 21:10

Grummy wrote:I the sniper class has way too many gadgets that give them enormous advantage and can allow players to exploit the maps, para drop into crazy heard to reach places etc. He has a point I think, nobody likes getting shot in these games, but when its by a sniper from the other side of the map in a location you can't reach, it's bloody frustrating and can quickly spoil the game.

We came up with 3 possible scenarios to deal this. Send assassins around to kill sniper players (possibly a bit extreme), limit the number of snipers per team or take sniper classes out of the game and instead have sniper rifles as gun emplacements in specific locations around the maps, make them static so people always know where they are, the same as with turrets it means good players can still use them, but they can't camp on them and can't just snipe the entire game away.

I would say that limiting the amount of snipers per team would be a good option, especially if you then need to use the greater team to get them to a vantage point e.g. helicopter ride to the top of a cliff top or something.

I haven't played BF since BF2 (or maybe BF1?) but this with FORZA 5 are the two games I would likely get first of the launch line up.....followed by Titanfall :)
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 29

Postby evilcanofsoda » 29 Aug 2013, 21:21

Grummy wrote:I was talking with my Sony bro last night, and we agreed, Microsoft is cooler! LOLOLOLOLOL

Hell yeah!!!... :lol:
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby Dave2123 » 29 Aug 2013, 21:36

"...people prefer dying from real human bullets, rather than [at the hands of] an AI that's too accurate or something."

I really don't know what he's talking about here; real people are far better at killing you than AI. The point of AI in Titanfall is that they're nice and easy to kill and won't kill you as easily as a human.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 29 Aug 2013, 21:40

Grummy wrote:We came up with 3 possible scenarios to deal this....

The point of snipers, however, is that you don't know where they are and you can't find them easily and they can kill you from a long way away when you least expect it. That's the unfortunate realism of a war game. If you're fighting in real life, the enemy will have snipers and you have to avoid them and don't run around the map aimlessly.
Dave2123 29

Postby Grummy » 29 Aug 2013, 21:41

Dave2123 wrote:
Grummy wrote:We came up with 3 possible scenarios to deal this....

The point of snipers, however, is that you don't know where they are and you can't find them easily and they can kill you from a long way away when you least expect it. That's the unfortunate realism of a war game. If you're fighting in real life, the enemy will have snipers and you have to avoid them and don't run around the map aimlessly.

Game. That's the point. It's a game, it's meant to be fun, snipers as they are right now aren't fun, they drain the fun out of the experience.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 29 Aug 2013, 22:18

The point of snipers, however, is that you don't know where they are and you can't find them easily and they can kill you from a long way away when you least expect it. That's the unfortunate realism of a war game. If you're fighting in real life, the enemy will have snipers and you have to avoid them and don't run around the map aimlessly.[/quote]

Game. That's the point. It's a game, it's meant to be fun, snipers as they are right now aren't fun, they drain the fun out of the experience.[/quote]

Maybe as a compromise they could have a sniper free mode that excluded that class type and gave it in a snipers only map set, with the current iteration of the rent a server option perhaps they could include these options for those who do not want snipers, I'm not sure as to the options available or customisation that is incoming. To those battlefield players that know how to deal with snipers or don't, play hard core no-map put your mic in and the god like power of a sniper is significantly reduced, using teamwork and communication I have pissed many snipers by rolling a tank on them or knifing them or counter sniping. The only problem I usually find is when your team is full of non mic snipers as this can ruin the team-based nature of the game.
LeprechaunsWOOD 27

Postby Grummy » 29 Aug 2013, 22:29

LeprechaunsWOOD wrote:
Maybe as a compromise they could have a sniper free mode that excluded that class type and gave it in a snipers only map set, with the current iteration of the rent a server option perhaps they could include these options for those who do not want snipers, I'm not sure as to the options available or customisation that is incoming. To those battlefield players that know how to deal with snipers or don't, play hard core no-map put your mic in and the god like power of a sniper is significantly reduced, using teamwork and communication I have pissed many snipers by rolling a tank on them or knifing them or counter sniping. The only problem I usually find is when your team is full of non mic snipers as this can ruin the team-based nature of the game.

I think they should have those as well, just as they should have sniper only matches (just remove the tagging of enemies and just let players rely on skill) but I don't want to remove snipers from the game entirely as people do like playing them, so finding a way to limit their use on each map would be preferable. Whether that means that sniper rifles are fixed location weapons anyone can use, that they're weapons that can be air dropped in at certain locations, whether they're dotted around the map that anyone can use, then when they die, the weapon despawns for 5 minutes before respawning or any other number of options. They just need to do something to stop matches turning into camping snipe fests, the large maps of Battlefield make it very easy for players to do that, and it really spoils the experience.

The team based nature of the game is a problem too, not in theory, but in practice there are a LOT of numpties who choose to rambo through the game. It's why I think Commander mode will fail. What's likely to happen is the commander will try issuing orders to someone only to hear 'f**k off, I'm doing XYZ" and similar things because people just want to play their own way.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 29 Aug 2013, 22:43

The team based nature of the game is a problem too, not in theory, but in practice there are a LOT of numpties who choose to rambo through the game. It's why I think Commander mode will fail. What's likely to happen is the commander will try issuing orders to someone only to hear 'f**k off, I'm doing XYZ" and similar things because people just want to play their own way.[/quote]

Interesting point of the commander mode possibly failing, but maybe it can be voted or an admin right to choose the commander, I'm beginning to think that BF4 will be the only game I can fully explore as I'm a battlefield player so I hope the commander mode is optioned in some way and can be reviewed to balance the game.
LeprechaunsWOOD 27

Postby CR33D » 29 Aug 2013, 22:58

I have never played a BF game but the Sniper class is my favorite, If a game has Medic/Healer then i'll be that and support a team. Making Snipers in fixed places wouldn't be a great idea, Neither removing them.

If they was in fixed places as Dave2123 said snipers can be anywhere. BF may have this already but modes where sniper classes can join and modes that block sniper classes would be a good option. And i thought BF had all that bullet drop and wind? Making shots from far away very hard.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Next