to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

September's first free Xbox game with Gold is Magic: The Gat

Your comments on our articles.

Update: Microsoft confirms upcoming freebies

The next free Xbox game you'll receive as an Xbox Gold subscriber is Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planewalkers 2013, according to a snap of Xbox Australia's home page picked up by Reddit user TheGesio.... read more

Postby Jerry Lane » 30 Aug 2013, 11:12

OMG...lets hope not! If this is the "Games w/ Gold" game, then gold should be renamed Bronze. Are you kidding me? I quit playing Old Maid and Go Fish in Kindergarten!
Jerry Lane 1

Postby Chameleon » 30 Aug 2013, 11:12

Won't bother if that's correct, but it doesn't matter - I've yet to start DR2, which I'll do once I finish Far Cry 3 off, and that should see me through September at least.
Chameleon 44

Re: September's first free Xbox game with Gold is Magic: The

Postby tazzrats » 30 Aug 2013, 11:45

No please! Oh mighty xbox gods do not expose us to such horrors! We have already put up with steve balmer, not this!
tazzrats 29

Postby Brimstone » 30 Aug 2013, 11:47

Hello, i don't post very often here. I feel like i need to say something to the powers that be on the "Games with Gold" subject.

I understand that these games are free and i thank you for them. Some of these titles i would not have tried were it not for them being free. I feel like i've expanded my gaming universe a little, That said all the people i know who have a playstation, not only laugh out loud but could realisticaly expell milk from thier eyes with the force at which they roar with laughter on hearing our new gaming freebie.

I think the problem might be the word "Gold" being used here. I thought Gold was a stamp of quality or rarity in value. Don't get me wrong i'm sure these games are good. But a company with the sheer muscle of Microsoft that can't get some A-list games for it's followers in the 360's final year or so (if only to entise new gamers). The games need not be all 18 certificates to be appealling... or even new titles.

No one is expecting new releases. I think gamers are a little too grounded to expect that. But if Microsoft don't know what i mean by A-list titles instead of tower defense or card games then i submit that they might be in the wrong bussiness.

Come on MS, If your going to compete with Sony in this way, make it a fight. I really don't want to sound ungratefull but That is the way is sounds. Sorry.
Brimstone 48

Postby tazzrats » 30 Aug 2013, 11:50

Chameleon wrote:Won't bother if that's correct, but it doesn't matter - I've yet to start DR2, which I'll do once I finish Far Cry 3 off, and that should see me through September at least.

CAN I ASK EVERYONE A QUESTION HERE, PLEASE, OXM STAFF TOO!

Has anyone else noticed how horrific the graphics of far cry 3 are on console, the draw distance is awful, ps2 standards, I mean trees literally become snot, it is an ugly game, with good CLOSE up visuals.

Include this with the vehicleless MP, and I think FC2 was a better game. Yes FC2 you got shot every second, but the console graphics were better at all ranges except extreme close range which granted FC3 is AMAZING.

Sorry I had to write this hear, but i read all these reviews like, "OMG FC3 on xbox has amazing graphics" And I am like, no, no it doesn't. >:/
tazzrats 29

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Aug 2013, 11:52

I thought it was a beautiful game, and spent a lot of time stood on high places just enjoying the view.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby CSCS » 30 Aug 2013, 11:53

I picked up the first incarnation of this I think it's the 2012 version back when I tried to dabble with card games, it's not bad, certainly won't say no to free achievements :mrgreen: .
CSCS 13

Postby captainhetty » 30 Aug 2013, 11:55

Brimstone wrote:
Come on MS, If your going to compete with Sony in this way, make it a fight. I really don't want to sound ungratefull but That is the way is sounds. Sorry.

This irks me. It's hardly a competition. Don't get me wrong, I use PS+ and the games I get are great, but if you cancel your PS+ subscription you can't play them any longer. It's more like some sort of long term rental than actually giving games away. At least when MS say they're giving us games, they actually are giving them.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 58

Postby SilentDark » 30 Aug 2013, 12:10

But then wouldn't that kick Sony in the nuts even more "We're giving away free games of the same level but with us, it's acutually a giveaway." I expect Sonic the Hedgehog to turn up one month.
Fear Effect 2: HLA! HLA! Dragon Age Inquisition: Ban this sick filth!.....who needs standards when you can have double standards. :?
SilentDark 63

Postby Bugsquat » 30 Aug 2013, 12:39

CunningSmile wrote:I thought it was a beautiful game, and spent a lot of time stood on high places just enjoying the view.

He's right about the draw distance though - it was a bit pants. I liked to look around on the mountains as well (I think we mentioned this in a Skyrim thread too), and take pictures with the camera because it felt good (immersion and all that :D ) but the distance was usually blurry. And if you fly high enough over some trees in the hang glider and look down, they're 2D, and they rotate around as you pass so they would look right from the ground. But that's a tad nit-picky, and the only bad thing I noticed.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby FishyGinger » 30 Aug 2013, 12:43

CunningSmile wrote:I thought it was a beautiful game, and spent a lot of time stood on high places just enjoying the view.

Coming from a pc background a bit more some things in the distance, islands and mountains and what not were very blurry but all in all I have to agree it was a good looking game and really pushed the 360 far.

Can't say I'd be thrilled by Magic but fare enough it is what it is.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby smp1987 » 30 Aug 2013, 12:59

this is just funny and classic MS i pay £39.99 for Gold the last 2 games with gold were good DR2 and Crackdown but there old in my eyes magic the water ever rubbish is not a game with gold!

If you look at ps3 i got a 90trial with playstation plus and i downloaded Assassins creed 3 last night and saints row 3 last week along with a few others under 3years old step it up MS give the 360 the go out with a bang it needs
smp1987 24

Postby HooksaN » 30 Aug 2013, 13:00

Given how great the last few games have been (AC2, Crackdown, DR2), to say this is a disappointment would be a huge understatement.

Personally, I think its an awful choice ...It's just such a niche game.

I actually played Magic (irl) for a while in High School, and I still have no interest in this game.

Given how few Xbox players will even know what Magic: the Gathering is, let alone have an interest in it, I think this is going to go down like a lead balloon.

It feels a bit like a cheap get-out by Microsoft, tbh.
HooksaN 17

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Aug 2013, 13:08

smp1987 wrote:this is just funny and classic MS i pay £39.99 for Gold the last 2 games with gold were good DR2 and Crackdown but there old in my eyes magic the water ever rubbish is not a game with gold!

If you look at ps3 i got a 90trial with playstation plus and i downloaded Assassins creed 3 last night and saints row 3 last week along with a few others under 3years old step it up MS give the 360 the go out with a bang it needs

However as has been pointed out as soon as your 90 days trial finishes those games will vanish from your hard drive. Meanwhile whilst I think Magic the Gathering is pants, MS don't really have to give us anything since we've all happily paid for Gold for years and the number of memberships is actually climbing so it's not like they need to boost sales.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 30 Aug 2013, 13:11

I can't say I'm blown away, but hey - it's free and if you don't want it - don't download it. :|

People bleating about Gold Live subs - did you buy Gold expecting to get free games? I know I didn't, so anything any good is a bonus in my eyes.
You don't stop playing because you get older; you get older because you stop playing.

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 57

Next