to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Tamriel United: two hours in the world of The Elder Scrolls

Your comments on our articles.

ZeniMax Online has joined the realms - but is it the right game for Skyrim vets?

In the first two hours of my Nord Dragon Knight's life, he's swum among the ice floes of Skyrim, nipped through a quick Oblivion gate to sod up a perverse sigil, slunk through a booby-trapped tomb, and taken a ferry to the mushroom-littered shores of Morrowind. This is Zenimax Online standing with its hands on its hips and booming: "Oh, yes, we've got Tamriel". It's playfully rubbing our cheering faces into a series with a rich heritage and well-documented lore.... read more

Tamriel United: two hours in the world of The Elder Scrolls

Postby fowler prowler » 31 Aug 2013, 12:13

I really do want to play this. TES games have provided me with many, many, many hours of fun. Can I warrant paying. 420 for a console, 50 for a game, 10 per month subscription for the right to play the game, 4 per month for the right to have an Xbox live account to have the right to play the game, 15 per month to have the internet and however much expansion packs will be? I love oblivion and skyrim enough to have them as tatoos but to play TESO with my income would basically mean forfeiting all other games. Filled with despair at all pricing models for future games.
fowler prowler 3

Re: Tamriel United: two hours in the world of The Elder Scro

Postby zodtwo » 31 Aug 2013, 12:34

have to agree with fp. I have invested alot of time in these games including fallout and I like the new opportunities mmo will bring. But this will be yet another hand in my pocket. With all the new things being thrown at us in the next few months I think I will hold off for a while. p.s this is not a moan dag nabbit :)
zodtwo 6

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 31 Aug 2013, 15:17

In agreement here as I cannot justify another online expense, It does raise the question will it go free to play at a later date as things like DC Universe online did? I was really hopeful that the PC MMO money model wouldn't catch us as we pay for Xboxlive as a service, but I fear its the future, gona be investing carefully in games I know all the cost for. :wink:
LeprechaunsWOOD 27

Postby Metalrodent » 31 Aug 2013, 15:23

Given how this game's popularity seems to have bombed (for some, at least) since it's fees were announced, I would expect any and all articles on it to turn into comment wars :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Insaneyokel » 31 Aug 2013, 15:37

Am not too sure now with the inclusion of fees, I work out my gaming budget after doing the household and child care budget and I don't think I can justify this expense. I can understand partly why Bethesda have gone this route, but for me I am going to have to see a little more info on the initial purchase price and also what other games are out at the same time that have interested me. It just might be a case that this is a title I leave until a later date or not purchase.
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Grummy » 31 Aug 2013, 16:29

I love that Vigo the Carpathian is in this.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Time-Bomb » 31 Aug 2013, 18:40

I can't help but think this game would do better if they just made the initial cost greater, and scrapped the monthly fees. Sure, they might not get as much money per person, but I'm sure they'd get double the customers if they just threw an extra 20 bucks on the cost of the game.
Time-Bomb 45

Postby CSCS » 31 Aug 2013, 19:57

I'll wait until Indoril Armour gets added before I ever give it a go.
CSCS 13

Postby ipsofacto » 01 Sep 2013, 00:37

It pains me that I jut can't justify spending all the money on this game that could go into multiple others... I'll wait for reviews. Planning on doing it all digital anyway
ipsofacto 42

Postby Dave2123 » 01 Sep 2013, 20:30

It's a shame that it's set in the 2nd Era; I was hoping that it would be set earlier than that in a period where the Dwemer were still around and the Snow Elves hadn't turned into The Falmer. Oh well, perhaps one day we'll get to experience them first hand.

Judging from what I've read here about how you can only choose a limited number of skills, I assume that the game wants to encourage you to join a clan with others, so your whole team will have all the skills. I know that a lot of people play MMOs like this anyway, but I normally prefer to go it alone, although it sounds as if I won't be able to with this game.

It does, however, sound fantastic, but I don't think I'll be shelling out all that money on it.
Dave2123 29