to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

BioWare is "undecided" on Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplaye

Your comments on our articles.

"We've certainly looked at options like that," says producer

Morning all. In case you missed it, Dragon Age: Inquisition went large on the site over the weekend, following unveiling of new footage and screens at PAX Prime 2013 in Seattle, Washington. Speaking to OXM at a preview event in London last week, producer Cameron Lee shed a bit of light on elderly rumours that the new RPG features a multiplayer mode. The short answer is: there is no answer, not yet.... read more

BioWare is "undecided" on Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplaye

Postby SmgUk » 02 Sep 2013, 10:21

I think they should just drop the idea of multiplayer and concentrate on making the single player as good as possible.

Unless they are going to make a co-op campaign that could be interesting.
SmgUk 27

Re: BioWare is "undecided" on Dragon Age: Inquisition multip

Postby Metalrodent » 02 Sep 2013, 10:30

I'm really not sure that this kind of game needs multiplayer, certainly not comptetive, that said a drop in/drop out coop system might work quite well
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby lfcgorsty » 02 Sep 2013, 10:41

I 100% agree, I hate how some developers are so determined to find a way to put multiplayer modes into a game that honestly doesn't need it, that the actual core of the game, the single player campaign, suffers as their focus is split.

A great example is Mass Effect 3, I didn't hate it, I didn't even hate the ending, but if the extra time that went into making a pointless multiplayer mode I played twice, the game could have been even better.
lfcgorsty 23

Postby Maximus T » 02 Sep 2013, 11:52

lfcgorsty wrote:I 100% agree, I hate how some developers are so determined to find a way to put multiplayer modes into a game that honestly doesn't need it, that the actual core of the game, the single player campaign, suffers as their focus is split.

A great example is Mass Effect 3, I didn't hate it, I didn't even hate the ending, but if the extra time that went into making a pointless multiplayer mode I played twice, the game could have been even better.

However, the multiplayer did have a point. Getting your classes up to level 20 allowed you to promote into the main game as war assets, which then reset the level. Also, I enjoyed the multiplayer because I like playing with others, and it allowed you to play as a bunch of different races and test out classes you may not have played as before. Also, they updated it with a bunch of new characters, weapons, enemies and maps, for free.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby SilentDark » 02 Sep 2013, 12:07

Maximus T wrote:However, the multiplayer did have a point.

Did it affect the plot in any meaningful way, did anything you do matter on a grander scale, did you affect single player missions? No, it didn't, the whole "war assets" thing seemed to exist solely to warrant the inclusion of multiplayer so they could justify the addition of the online pass, which given the way things were handled with games such as the previous dragon age titles, Alice, Kingdom of Amalur etc. seemed a waste of time anyway. ME and DA are about the plot and characters, multiplayer is a distraction and diverts resources away from the meat and potatoes of the game. They should stick to creating a compelling singleplayer game, possibly keeping the multiplayer limited to co-op campaign mode only.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby Maximus T » 02 Sep 2013, 12:17

SilentDark wrote:
Maximus T wrote:However, the multiplayer did have a point.

Did it affect the plot in any meaningful way, did anything you do matter on a grander scale, did you affect single player missions? No, it didn't, the whole "war assets" thing seemed to exist solely to warrant the inclusion of multiplayer so they could justify the addition of the online pass, which given the way things were handled with games such as the previous dragon age titles, Alice, Kingdom of Amalur etc. seemed a waste of time anyway. ME and DA are about the plot and characters, multiplayer is a distraction and diverts resources away from the meat and potatoes of the game. They should stick to creating a compelling singleplayer game, possibly keeping the multiplayer limited to co-op campaign mode only.

Well of course it barely affected the plot, as barely anything did in the game, followed by a choice of three things at the end. How would co-op campaign work in this style of game? It's not like a level based FPS. They gave co-op in probably the most practical way, and made it enjoyable. You gained war assets for everything you did in the main campaign. You could easily miss the majority of those, and could therefore top them up from the co-operative multiplayer, as let's face it, that war asset count is what decides how many people die.
Maximus T 69

Postby SilentDark » 02 Sep 2013, 12:25

How would co-op work in an RPG? Presumably the same way it worked in Baldur's Gate, Nevewinter Nights and Icewind Dale, each player takes up a slot in your party with one person designated "the face". Bioware have done it before so there is no reason to assume they couldn't do it again.

As for war assets, they really changed nothing, the only affect they had in gameplay terms was affecting whether the synthesis ending was available and giving you the bonus ending for the destroy ending, hardly earth shattering stuff.

This is probably sounding more confrontational than I'm intending but co-op RPGs do exist and can work. Tales of Symphonia even had drop-in/drop-out co-op.
SilentDark 65

Postby Maximus T » 02 Sep 2013, 12:37

Fine, if you say so. I've never played one. Just thinking that, it's a linear game. Once you have done a mission, it's gone for that playthrough. What if you want to do mission "X" with your friend co-op, but you have both gone past it. There is no mission selection screen. You would have to restart, it would be extremely inconvenient. This at least for Mass Effect, I don't know how these other games worked. What did some people want in Mass Effect? "Let us play as Asari/Turian/Drell/etc." They got that. "Give us co-op" they got that too, granted not how they envisaged. Anyway, sure, if they can make co-op work that's fine, I didn't have a problem with that, I was simply defending what they did for MP in ME3, as I still enjoy playing it.
Maximus T 69

Postby SilentDark » 02 Sep 2013, 12:41

It's fine if you enjoyed it, but given how weak the ending was and how all the ambition of the trilogy ended up boiling down to Red Blue Green doors I'd have preferred they not bother and sink those resources back into the SP game, as for how co-op would work, it's basically like setting up a D&D session. You arrange a time to game together with your friends and yopu play the whole game together, start to finish, your "face" does all of the interactions with NPCs to keep things tidy, gets quests collects rewards on bahalf of the party etc.
SilentDark 65

Postby Dave2123 » 02 Sep 2013, 17:17

I know that developers cater to the most idiotic, ignorant and stupid people on the planet nowadays, hence why most games are so easy, and give you hints, and QTEs, and even remind you which buttons do what after you've played the game for 80 hours, but they really need to dial it down. A game like this doesn't want multiplayer, but lots of people who aren't really gamers just want to thrash about for a bit and not bother with putting any effort in or bothering with the story and so the developers are thinking of putting it in. How about someone makes a game, which has the controls labelled in the manual and never mentions them in the game, doesn't have QTEs, or a big green A come up with 'Press to climb' when you walk near a wall, does away with all those tricks that allow you to see your target and through walls (Ubisoft, I blame you for that) and gets rid of any hints or help at all and actually lets us play a realistic game by ourselves. That's a game I'd want to play; a game designed for intelligent people.
Dave2123 29

Postby msbhvn » 02 Sep 2013, 17:54

Co-op is a good idea, multiplayer modes not so much. The first RPG to have co-op that I'm aware of was Secret of Mana on the SNES, where a second and third player could control the two normally AI companions. Borderlands-style co-op would fit Dragon Age quite well, I reckon, since it's a party based combat system to start with.

I wouldn't even be averse to online MP modes in Dragon Age if they were well thought out and worthwhile, without gimping the single player like Mass Effect 3. But of course, BioWare still have a long way to go to convince me to even return to Thedas, let alone sell me on multiplayer.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby PonderingWalrus » 02 Sep 2013, 20:09

Dave2123 wrote:I know that developers cater to the most idiotic, ignorant and stupid people on the planet nowadays, hence why most games are so easy, and give you hints, and QTEs, and even remind you which buttons do what after you've played the game for 80 hours, but they really need to dial it down. A game like this doesn't want multiplayer, but lots of people who aren't really gamers just want to thrash about for a bit and not bother with putting any effort in or bothering with the story and so the developers are thinking of putting it in. How about someone makes a game, which has the controls labelled in the manual and never mentions them in the game, doesn't have QTEs, or a big green A come up with 'Press to climb' when you walk near a wall, does away with all those tricks that allow you to see your target and through walls (Ubisoft, I blame you for that) and gets rid of any hints or help at all and actually lets us play a realistic game by ourselves. That's a game I'd want to play; a game designed for intelligent people.

Even though your comment has somewhat riled me up I'm going to try and respond as politely as possible. You talk a lot of rubbish, you know that?

Just because some people might enjoy a multiplayer component in Dragon Age, that does not make them "idiotic, ignorant and stupid". When you say a game like this doesn't want multiplayer you actually mean you don't want multiplayer so drop the facade. I'd agree with the view that Dragon Age doesn't need multiplayer but I hold the opinion Bioware could do a good job with it. I liked Mass Effect 3's Galaxy At War component a lot and loved the large amount of support it received post launch.

Seriously, it's fine that Dragon Age multiplayer doesn't appeal to you and you have full right to voice your opinion but don't call into question the intelligence of people who have different opinions to you; it's not cool and makes you sound snooty.

On a final note, a lot of the game design for stupid people you talk about isn't as common as it sounds like you are making out. Fair enough, some games have annoying prompts for painfully obvious game mechanics, but not that many do.
Last edited by PonderingWalrus on 02 Sep 2013, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby CunningSmile » 02 Sep 2013, 21:50

Dave I'm pretty sure you've been warned before about insulting the intelligence of people because they may like features you don't agree with. Knock it off or the warnings will start getting formal
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby GracieD » 02 Sep 2013, 22:41

Thanks EA for trying to butt rape my favourite franchise by tacking on a multiplayer component no-one neither needs nor wants. :(
The game is meant to be a single player experience for you to interact with the world and storyline and build up relationships with the characters.
I do not like the idea of a Mass Effect 3-ish multiplayer in DA:I, because with that in ME3 I had to make myself go through the same repetitive multiplayer missions over and over and over, it's like "Hey, you want the 'good ending'? well you're gonna have to run up you internet bill and bore you to death doing repetitive missions to do so!" I HATED that. I will seriously cry if that's added. No joke. I wish Bioware listen to me. :cry: (Sorry if spelling is bad cus am Italian.)
GracieD 14

Postby lfcgorsty » 02 Sep 2013, 23:43

Maximus T wrote:However, the multiplayer did have a point. Getting your classes up to level 20 allowed you to promote into the main game as war assets

I had 100% readiness on the game without playing the multiplayer, I just did all the side quests, scanned the star systems and used the companion app on my iPad, which again, was an unnecessary addition, it boosted my readiness up a bit and give me something to occupy 10 minutes in work at a time, but that was it.
lfcgorsty 23

Next