to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft's Penello on why Xbox One's Kinect will overcome i

Your comments on our articles.

A chat with Microsoft's planning and marketing chief about motion sensitivity's future

Kinect may not be required for Xbox One to run, but Microsoft will ship a sensor with every console nonetheless. This has annoyed those who aren't convinced by the manufacturer's claims about the new Kinect's accuracy and responsiveness, in light of its predecessor's less-than-stellar track record on Xbox 360, but planning and marketing director Albert Penello assures us that hands-on (that's to say, hands-off) time will bring the nay-sayers round.... read more

Postby SilentDark » 03 Sep 2013, 13:46

The problem with it is that it's a gimmick, it will always be a gimmick, just like 3D is. Unless you can give me a solid case for how it makes games better I'm afraid all you end up with is a lot of talk. Talk is cheap MS, show me something that could never work without the kinect and maybe you've got the makings of an argument. Until then I'll keep using my controller thanks.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Re: Microsoft's Penello on why Xbox One's Kinect will overco

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 03 Sep 2013, 13:54

SilentDark wrote:The problem with it is that it's a gimmick, it will always be a gimmick, just like 3D is. Unless you can give me a solid case for how it makes games better I'm afraid all you end up with is a lot of talk. Talk is cheap MS, show me something that could never work without the kinect and maybe you've got the makings of an argument. Until then I'll keep using my controller thanks.

Give developers time and they may just do what you ask for ;).
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby SilentDark » 03 Sep 2013, 13:58

But you could say that MS has had ample time to do this. And developers tried and failed multiple times on the Wii so I'm really not that confident. The Wii had a cute gimmick that made Nintendo a pot of money, that does not make motion controls the future.
SilentDark 65

Postby MrT666 » 03 Sep 2013, 13:59

"We're aware with Kinect - yeah, everything [critics have] said, particularly outside of the US, with smaller homes and things like that, where people have to move furniture and so on. But with the new Kinect, those things - I don't believe are going to be an issue."

So they don't even know themselfs how far you need to be from it? How is this going to take of in japan where most people live in really small flats, the console is pretty big plus you have kinnect oh and plus you can have a sky box or a 360 attached to it. What a mess. It reminds me of the megadrive and all its add ons all over again. I'm glad you can play without kinnect now, but all they are doing is just yapping on about how good it is and not showing anything.
MrT666 18

Postby Thos. » 03 Sep 2013, 14:10

SilentDark wrote:The problem with it is that it's a gimmick, it will always be a gimmick, just like 3D is. Unless you can give me a solid case for how it makes games better I'm afraid all you end up with is a lot of talk. Talk is cheap MS, show me something that could never work without the kinect and maybe you've got the makings of an argument. Until then I'll keep using my controller thanks.

I believe the appropriate phrase here is 'horses for courses'. Yes 3D is a gimmick, but I personally cannot wait to get my head strapped into a VR helmet, no matter how ridiculous I then look, and you will have a hard time crowbarring it back off me. But yes, unfortunately Kinect leaves me completely cold. I want to love it, but after years of development, there's not a single game that appeals. :(

Also throwing this out there: If the Xbox sells badly compared to the PS4, I'm sure well see a Kinectless Xbox within 9 months of launch.
Thos. 45

Postby Maximus T » 03 Sep 2013, 14:15

MrT666 wrote:"We're aware with Kinect - yeah, everything [critics have] said, particularly outside of the US, with smaller homes and things like that, where people have to move furniture and so on. But with the new Kinect, those things - I don't believe are going to be an issue."

So they don't even know themselfs how far you need to be from it? How is this going to take of in japan where most people live in really small flats, the console is pretty big plus you have kinnect oh and plus you can have a sky box or a 360 attached to it. What a mess. It reminds me of the megadrive and all its add ons all over again. I'm glad you can play without kinnect now, but all they are doing is just yapping on about how good it is and not showing anything.

Didn't you watch Microsoft's Gamescom live show? They showed Kinect Sports Rivals there, which created a virtual version of Aoife which was impressively accurate. I am not at all concerned about the accuracy of the sensor, and we know that it works in smaller spaces.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby ScientificWonder » 03 Sep 2013, 14:38

NSA and Kinect.
ScientificWonder 1

Postby SmgUk » 03 Sep 2013, 14:39

3D is a gimmick

Maybe at the moment it is but apparently one day everything will be 3D we see in 3D therefore it is logical that eventually 2D TV's etc will be a thing of the past.

And the same goes for the Kinect and motion controls in general it might be a Gimmick for now but one day i'm sure people will look at a control pad and laugh :lol:
SmgUk 27

Postby Chameleon » 03 Sep 2013, 14:46

Frankly, I'm not sure why OXM bother with these sorts of articles any more.

You have an article that basically says 'wait until you've used it before shouting about not wanting it', followed by the same old comments from the same old people saying it's a gimmick and that people don't want it... :roll:
Here's an idea: Wait until you've tried it!!! It's NOT kinect 1.0 and unless you've been to Gamescom YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT.

FFS. Haters gonna hate.
Chameleon 44

Postby CunningSmile » 03 Sep 2013, 14:49

ScientificWonder wrote:NSA and Kinect.

New site rule; anyone who comes up with a paranoid conspiracy theory that Kinect will be spying on their banal pointless little lives will have their details passed to the relevant intelligence agency ;)
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 03 Sep 2013, 15:17

Chameleon wrote:Frankly, I'm not sure why OXM bother with these sorts of articles any more.

You have an article that basically says 'wait until you've used it before shouting about not wanting it', followed by the same old comments from the same old people saying it's a gimmick and that people don't want it... :roll:
Here's an idea: Wait until you've tried it!!! It's NOT kinect 1.0 and unless you've been to Gamescom YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT.

FFS. Haters gonna hate.

Except it's like, you know, a discussion? I'm seriously not trolling or trying to start an argument or nothingk. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. These are two questions I'm genuinely interested in hearing people's thoughts on, especially those who love the Kinect:

A. In your opinion, what is the single best Kinect game?
B. Which single Xbox One Kinect game are you most looking forward to?

(And just to clarify: I'm talking here about games specifically built around using the Kinect as the control mechanism, not an FPS with a bolted-on Kinect feature)
Thos. 45

Postby CunningSmile » 03 Sep 2013, 15:27

Thos. wrote:
Chameleon wrote:Frankly, I'm not sure why OXM bother with these sorts of articles any more.

FFS. Haters gonna hate.

Except it's like, you know, a discussion? I'm seriously not trolling or trying to start an argument or nothingk. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. These are two questions I'm genuinely interested in hearing people's thoughts on, especially those who love the Kinect:

(And just to clarify: I'm talking here about games specifically built around using the Kinect as the control mechanism, not an FPS with a bolted-on Kinect feature)

Which game that used the triggers did you most enjoy on the 360? And I'm talking about games specifically built around the triggers, not an FPS that used them instead of the X button.

Kinect on the One is designed to be used alongside the other control options, and not just for Wii like party games. Almost every game so far announced for the One has Kinect functionality built in, and just like the trigger buttons it's supposed to be used in conjunction with everything else not instead of
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 03 Sep 2013, 15:34

A: Probably Steel Battalion and/or Fable: The Journey. Yes, that's the kind of statement that gets me beaten up in bars. SB in particular I think was horribly misjudged. The whole point of it, after all, is that steering one of these mechs is really arduous - the tricksiness of motion control actually contributes to the illusion, in other words - and I think it's the height of hypocrisy to slam it for difficulty while lamenting the shortage of "serious", "core" Kinect games, as many have.

B. Kinect Sports Rivals, I guess, though I know fairly little about it.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Chameleon » 03 Sep 2013, 15:35

Thos. wrote:

FFS. Haters gonna hate.

And we've also gone through this a number of times, in various threads. In fact, I reckon you can probably go into just about any Kinect 2.0 related thread on this site and see the same question with the same answers in one guise or another.

The best Kinect-Only game I've played is probably Kinect Sports Season 2, and the Kinect-Only game I'm most looking forward to on X1 is Kinect Sports Rivals. Bit of a theme going there, I have to agree. There aren't many Kinect-Only games, especially not for the X1, but I'm looking forward to the other uses just as much. (I treated Child of Eden as Kinect only on 360 and enjoyed that - does it count?)
Many of them are 'gimmicky' but, once proven useful they get to transcend that status. I'm hopeful Kinect 2.0 will manage this feat.

Back in the days of Amstrad CPC's and Spectrum ZX's, joysticks came with one fire button. Consoles came along, and went with two, then three buttons - these were considered useful. Then came SFII, complete with 'gimmicky' six-button controller. Not so silly to have six or more buttons now.
When the original Xbox came out, triggers were still 'gimmicky' (though there were clear predecessors).

The better gimmicks stay and become part of systems going forward, but most of them start as gimmicks.

But the point I was trying to make stands - the same old judgements are applied by those who don't see the point in Kinect in every single thread that mentions it. It's become rather old and boring when there's nothing new to be said - BECAUSE NO-ONE WHO IS COMPLAINING HAS TRIED IT.
Last edited by Chameleon on 03 Sep 2013, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Chameleon 44

Postby SilentDark » 03 Sep 2013, 15:41

SmgUk wrote:
3D is a gimmick

Maybe at the moment it is but apparently one day everything will be 3D we see in 3D therefore it is logical that eventually 2D TV's etc will be a thing of the past.

And the same goes for the Kinect and motion controls in general it might be a Gimmick for now but one day i'm sure people will look at a control pad and laugh :lol:

Let's take the 3D thing for a start, no it will never ever become standard because 2D TVs still give you a 3D image. Look at any TV show or film you've ever seen. 3D is basically a perception thing, you know where objects are in relation to the environment or each other based on how they look, when watching, let's say Eastenders, you know where the characters are in relation to each other, objects like for instance the doors, the bar, background characters etc. adding a 3D effect doesn't enhance your ability to percieve these things, therefore I think I can safely say it doesn't improve the program in any really quantifiable way. The only way you can get a truly 3D experience would be from technology along the lines of Star Trek's holodeck, where you can percieve characters in relation to each other and yourself and thereby alter your perspective based on your own position within said environment.

Getting back to kinect, unless someone can demonstate an actual quantifiable improvement over how games are traditionally played, then it is something that will always remain a gimmick.
SilentDark 65

Next