to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One cloud could "absolutely" support Gaikai-style game

Your comments on our articles.

"We just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience."

Microsoft's planning and marketing director Albert Penello has told Gamespot that streaming games from servers to your screen is perfectly possible, but that Microsoft needs to work out the cost and decide upon implementation first.... read more

Xbox One cloud could "absolutely" support Gaikai-style game

Postby SilentDark » 05 Sep 2013, 10:50

I like this idea, I'm constantly told how I don't own any of my games anyway so lets do it, turn gaming into a streaming subscription service like Netflix, you pay a publisher so much a month in exchange for full access to their library. Second hand market is eliminated, publishers see a constant stream of income. Let's go for it.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Re: Xbox One cloud could "absolutely" support Gaikai-style g

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Sep 2013, 11:25

SilentDark wrote:I like this idea, I'm constantly told how I don't own any of my games anyway so lets do it, turn gaming into a streaming subscription service like Netflix, you pay a publisher so much a month in exchange for full access to their library. Second hand market is eliminated, publishers see a constant stream of income. Let's go for it.

That was the thing I found most annoying about the scrapping of the family sharing thing. It was an obvious first step towards a streaming service; all it would have taken was someone like Netflix or Lovefilm to throw enough money at MS to get an unlimited 'family' and we could have all paid a tenner a month for as many games as we liked. Instead the whole thing gets scrapped because a bunch of people complained they'd have to go online for 2 seconds a day in order to play games that are increasingly looking like you'll need to be online to play them anyway!
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 05 Sep 2013, 11:35

SilentDark wrote:I like this idea, I'm constantly told how I don't own any of my games anyway so lets do it, turn gaming into a streaming subscription service like Netflix, you pay a publisher so much a month in exchange for full access to their library. Second hand market is eliminated, publishers see a constant stream of income. Let's go for it.

Maybe. But i like to be able to manage my gaming budget as a hobby style budget, not a bill. For instance i can choose to buy games when i have a little more money and can choose to game for free (assuming XBL etc. is all paid for) on games i already have when i don't have the expendable income.
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby Dave2123 » 05 Sep 2013, 22:21

I don't quite see the point of this as I assume they won't redo all the graphics to be 1080p native and all that sort of thing (make use of more RAM, CPU etc.). They're just going to create emulations that will be just the same, if not worse, than playing them on the 360. How many 360 games, let alone original xbox games, will people want to play. I play a few PS2 games occasionally, but that's because I have my PS2 and I'll still have my 360 for years as well. If I couldn't play those PS2 games, I wouldn't miss them. It seems like a bit of a waste of money really. It would be cheaper to just buy another 360 than pay monthly rates or per game to stream them all.
Dave2123 29

Postby skellen79 » 05 Sep 2013, 22:30

It may not appeal to all, but i have a large digital library as it is and would love to be able to still use this content all on the One, seeing as it is supposed to be the One place for all your entertainment. I know i'll be able to run my 360 through it but it's not the same.
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and where ever truth, love and laughter abide, I will be there in spirit.
Bill Hicks 1961-1994
skellen79 29

Postby evilcanofsoda » 05 Sep 2013, 22:34

Dave2123 wrote:I don't quite see the point of this as I assume they won't redo all the graphics to be 1080p native and all that sort of thing (make use of more RAM, CPU etc.).

This!.
Or even 4K... Since the Xbox One it's like 10 times more powerful I don't see the problem with giving games more resolution. (That of course if they make a really good emulator to run the games, maybe something like the virtual machine Wii on the WiiU).
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby lfcgorsty » 06 Sep 2013, 09:02

I like the idea, just because it would mean that the few Xbox 360 games I've not been able to complete in time for the Xbox One launch would be there to play and I could still give my 360 to my brother and not have it sat under my telly along with everything else
lfcgorsty 23