to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One "needs" a digital game trading and loaning system,

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft exec promises more digital initiatives after console's launch

A digital game trade-in and loaning system for Xbox One is more a question of 'when' than 'if', Microsoft's planning and marketing director Albert Penello has told Gamespot - the manufacturer plans to reopen discussions on that front after the console goes on sale.... read more

Xbox One "needs" a digital game trading and loaning system,

Postby Thos. » 05 Sep 2013, 11:08

A new game, or 6 month old game, or 1 year old game are, in virtually every case, cheaper on disc.

Make digital downloads cheaper, and I'll buy them instead.
Thos. 43

Re: Xbox One "needs" a digital game trading and loaning syst

Postby GHOSTY05 » 05 Sep 2013, 11:20

Thos. wrote:A new game, or 6 month old game, or 1 year old game are, in virtually every case, cheaper on disc.

Make digital downloads cheaper, and I'll buy them instead.

Amen...

Its simple, until digital gets cheaper and i mean like £35 or less then ill be sticking with my Disc games thanks
GHOSTY05 39

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 05 Sep 2013, 12:02

I still don't believe that the library sharing was everything that Microsoft now seem to be saying it was. I struggle to comprehend how they believe that one way of tackling the second hand market or piracy was to enable one person to buy a game and then 10 others to play it for free, and when you then consider that then the physical disc could only be sold on once, the who thing seems too ridiculous to comprehend. In theory, one person could have bought the disc, digitally lent it to 10 others who then played it to completion, before 'selling' it to another person who did exactly the same meaning that the developer and publisher got paid once and 22 people got to play it! No, there is no way that Digital Sharing is what Microsoft are suggesting it was and to hear them now speaking about it is like hearing how a fisherman put back the biggest fish ever caught without having photographed or weighed it, and without a single witness, only to then attempt to claim the world title. No one would believe the fisherman, and I am surprised if many really believe Microsoft.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Thos. » 05 Sep 2013, 12:09

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I still don't believe that the library sharing was everything that Microsoft now seem to be saying it was. I struggle to comprehend how they believe that one way of tackling the second hand market or piracy was to enable one person to buy a game and then 10 others to play it for free, and when you then consider that then the physical disc could only be sold on once, the who thing seems too ridiculous to comprehend. In theory, one person could have bought the disc, digitally lent it to 10 others who then played it to completion, before 'selling' it to another person who did exactly the same meaning that the developer and publisher got paid once and 22 people got to play it! No, there is no way that Digital Sharing is what Microsoft are suggesting it was and to hear them now speaking about it is like hearing how a fisherman put back the biggest fish ever caught without having photographed or weighed it, and without a single witness, only to then attempt to claim the world title. No one would believe the fisherman, and I am surprised if many really believe Microsoft.

You haven't got it quite right there, customer 2 would have to pay Microsoft to activate the game.

But indeed, the whole policy was very mysterious - The PS3 originally had game sharing for 5 people, which was cut back to 2, allegedly when publishers complained. The only thing I can think of was that as Microsoft were planning on enabling game publishers to get a cut of all second hand sales, part of that agreement was allowing the 10 share plan?

We will never know...
Thos. 43

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Sep 2013, 12:19

AllusiveTurtle wrote: Stuff

Alternatively, and from the admittedly small sample of my immediate friends, new game sales would go up. I've got several friends who for various reasons are perm signed off work and rarely leave the house. They play a lot of games, but normally buy preowned because it's cheaper. Since they are house bound they can't share between them so end up buying the same games. That's three people each spending £40 to buy 4 preowned games at a tenner each; the developer never sees a penny from any of them. They are all aware of the long term effect this has on the industry but can't afford to buy new.

Because of family sharing they had already agreed to co-ordinate their shopping. Each would buy a different game each, new, and share them. That's at least 3 or 4 sales the industry wouldn't normally get money from, three people getting to play newer games at no extra cost to them, and Game going bankrupt because they can no longer be a parasite feeding on the industry they purport to support. Every one was happy, until it got taken away.

And even the cynic in you must recognise the concept of sugar coating an otherwise bitter pill? The seemingly too good to be true family sharing was probably exactly as good as MS are making out, exactly because it was supposed to sweeten the other features they knew people might not be so keen on. Unfortunately they made a balls of the announcement and all anyone focused on was the negatives and missed the spoonful of sugar.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 05 Sep 2013, 12:25

MS needs to get tough with the publishers. EA and ActiVision seem to think it's acceptable to charge £59.99 for a game on Games on Demand with no way of getting a discount through trade ins. Those same games are around £35 on Amazon when you pre-order, less with trade ins, and with only a few hours longer to wait for release day delivery. If Amazon can sell the disc version at that price, surely the digital version that has less overhead should be just as cheap?
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 05 Sep 2013, 12:38

CunningSmile wrote:more stuff.

I don't see it working though, Cunning. For every person that co-ordinate their purchases because not everyone in their 'clan' can afford to buy the game, they would be far more people who could afford to buy the game, but don't because their mate has already done so. I would suspect that sales of some games would simply plummet. The big multiplayer games, the CoD's, BF's, Halo's etc. would probably not suffer too badly, as more than one person would need to access the game at the same time, but the smaller games, or those that are bought for their solo content, would potentially see sales drop below the limit of sustainability.

I totally accept that Microsoft needed (and possibly still need!) to sugar-coat their product, and quite possibly that the Digital Sharing was seen as that sweetener, but I suspect that not only was the DS not what it was presumed by many to be, but that it was pulled in the 180 because MS knew they couldn't take another hit, and that the expectations of the consumer were much higher than MS were capable of meeting.

To hear them speak about it now is like having a guy bragging about the size of his endowment, only to get into the changing rooms after a football match and wear shorts in the team bath; it doesn't happen! You wiggle it with pride!. If it is as good as was said, Microsoft would be waving their willy for all to see, not hiding it behind the 180!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Dave2123 » 05 Sep 2013, 22:36

God, people are so stupid. I don't know why MS listened to them, because the majority of people are very ignorant, narrow-minded and stuck in there ways, of course they were going to oppose anything new, different and innovative. They told MS to get rid of it and now they realise it was pretty good and they want it back (some of it, anyway). Being the nice guys MS will do it, but they should really say 'get lost, you told us to get rid of it, we're not bringing it back now, you hypocrites'.
Dave2123 29

Postby lfcgorsty » 06 Sep 2013, 09:10

I'm not sure people seemed to grasp the full details that were announced about it, not necessarily on here, but in general. Yes, it could be shared with 10 "friends or family" who had Xbox Live Gold, but it could only be shared with 1 friend at a time as well as yourself. Depending on the situation, it could have worked in the publishers favour.

If I added 4 mates, my brother and my brother in law. I'd lend it to a mate for example, he'd play it for a bit before I let my brother use the game, my mate would either then have to wait or go and buy his own copy, it would work as an unrestricted demo, so if a game was good enough that they'd want to play it whenever, it would tempt them to buy it.

It might not have worked like that necessarily, but it is one possible outcome.
lfcgorsty 19

Postby brendanb69 » 08 Sep 2013, 00:22

don't care about digital downloads, they take ages to download and you don't get a booklet or anything with it,i love buying disks and I hope to god that disks will be around for a long time to come, if disks go away and everything is download then you are restricting sooooo many people who don't have internet and they wont be able to play new games, is that the future we really want, were we punish people for not having internet.
brendanb69 3

Postby Grummy » 08 Sep 2013, 01:15

brendanb69 wrote:don't care about digital downloads, they take ages to download and you don't get a booklet or anything with it,i love buying disks and I hope to god that disks will be around for a long time to come, if disks go away and everything is download then you are restricting sooooo many people who don't have internet and they wont be able to play new games, is that the future we really want, were we punish people for not having internet.

All fair arguments.

I used to feel the same about Disc based games, used to love seeing my collection on the shelf, but nowadays I look at it and just think 'I'm not using 95% of those, they're just money taking up space' so I sell them instead. I personally believe in the digital future, but I don't believe it starts tomorrow, it's something we have to move into gradually, give people time to adapt to the change, to see the good value and benefits it brings and, crucially, allow those people who don't have internet access to finally do so. The future WILL be digital, it's the next step for the industry for it to grow, it's just a case of when, and I don't see any need to rush it along right now.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Sep 2013, 08:33

Plus the fact is that on the One you don't need to finish downloading the game to play it, so the waiting time is greatly reduced.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator