to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Halo 4 designer brands "sexy" MGS5 character "lazy and explo

Your comments on our articles.

Kojima tries to address remarks about "erotic" design

343 Industries designer David Ellis isn't too chuffed with Hideo Kojima's "erotic" - or as Kojima would now prefer to word it, "sexy" - Metal Gear Solid 5 character Quiet. Ellis took to Twitter to air his distaste yesterday, after Kojima released a close-up shot of said character's rear end, soliciting feedback on the design from cosplayers.... read more

Postby CloudStrife 900 » 06 Sep 2013, 10:31

Couldn't agree more. There's no need for it in my opinion. What next? Solid Snake in a Borat? Female characters can be sexy and well dressed at the same time, take the latest tomb raider for example.
CloudStrife 900 16

Postby GHOSTY05 » 06 Sep 2013, 10:33

I love it!! :mrgreen:

Although i think i will find it a little distracting, maybe tone it down a little.
GHOSTY05 42

Re: Halo 4 designer brands "sexy" MGS5 character "lazy and e

Postby OXM Aoife » 06 Sep 2013, 10:37

CloudStrife 900 wrote:Couldn't agree more. There's no need for it in my opinion. What next? Solid Snake in a Borat? Female characters can be sexy and well dressed at the same time, take the latest tomb raider for example.

To be fair, Raiden ran around stark bollock naked in MGS2...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CloudStrife 900 » 06 Sep 2013, 10:44

OXM Aoife wrote:
CloudStrife 900 wrote:Couldn't agree more. There's no need for it in my opinion. What next? Solid Snake in a Borat? Female characters can be sexy and well dressed at the same time, take the latest tomb raider for example.

To be fair, Raiden ran around stark bollock naked in MGS2...

Lmao! Fair point, but that was due to circumstance. Don't get me wrong mate, I don't mind some skin showing on a character, but there's a tasteful way of doing it.
CloudStrife 900 16

Postby Grummy » 06 Sep 2013, 10:46

Major news! Japan continues to be Japanese.

Seriously, if this was a screen shot from Valve for HL3 or something, I'd get the furore, but it's Japan, you can't judge them by western standards, you just can't, it's an exercise in futility.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Aoife » 06 Sep 2013, 10:48

CloudStrife 900 wrote:Lmao! Fair point, but that was due to circumstance. Don't get me wrong mate, I don't mind some skin showing on a character, but there's a tasteful way of doing it.

Nah you're right, I don't like Quiet's design at all. There should be context for a character's outfit, and she just looks like she forgot to get dressed that morning.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Maximus T » 06 Sep 2013, 10:52

I'm pretty sure that not all cosplayed characters are done so because they are sexy, but more to the point, what is Metal Gear Solid supposed to stand for? I don't know, but looking at what they've released about this latest instalment, I've seen child soldiers. Two things now spring to mind. Firstly, why are people more concerned about character appearances than having child soldiers in a game? Secondly, if there are child soldiers in the game, the tone seems darker and more serious, so how is having a character dressed like that at all even logical for the game design, let alone being acceptable anyway? Just in case I didn't make myself clear:
1) The design doesn't fit with the game.
2) The design is still unacceptable because of what Cloud Strife said.
I respect Japan for a lot of things, this, not one of them.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby OXM Aoife » 06 Sep 2013, 10:53

Grummy wrote:Major news! Japan continues to be Japanese.

Seriously, if this was a screen shot from Valve for HL3 or something, I'd get the furore, but it's Japan, you can't judge them by western standards, you just can't, it's an exercise in futility.

I don't buy that. I can call Killer is Dead a horribly misogynistic game, because it is. Doesn't matter where it was made, it makes me feel uncomfortable as someone with lady parts.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Sep 2013, 10:57

Maximus T wrote:I'm pretty sure that not all cosplayed characters are done so because they are sexy, but more to the point, what is Metal Gear Solid supposed to stand for? I don't know, but looking at what they've released about this latest instalment, I've seen child soldiers. Two things now spring to mind. Firstly, why are people more concerned about character appearances than having child soldiers in a game? Secondly, if there are child soldiers in the game, the tone seems darker and more serious, so how is having a character dressed like that at all even logical for the game design, let alone being acceptable anyway? Just in case I didn't make myself clear:

Child soldiers have always been in it, in fact Raiden's entire back story (and so the plot of MGS2) pretty much revolves around the concept of child soldiers.
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby CloudStrife 900 » 06 Sep 2013, 10:57

OXM Aoife wrote:Nah you're right, I don't like Quiet's design at all. There should be context for a character's outfit, and she just looks like she forgot to get dressed that morning.

Lol! You're not wrong, definitely forgot to put something on. See I wouldn't mind so much if it was an unlockable costume, like Sheva from RE5, but to force you to run through the story dressed like that is pretty lame. Call me old fashioned, but that's just not sexy at all.
CloudStrife 900 16

Postby MILLZY117 » 06 Sep 2013, 11:02

Is this not a bit hypocritical considering Cortana received a "graphical update" in Halo 4? The gaming industry should be past this by now and I thoroughly agree that the design of Quiet is distasteful. It's sad to think that she will probably be referred to as "the one with the boobs".
MILLZY117 9

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 06 Sep 2013, 11:07

Oh lord is that it? I mean really? Ignoring all other factors, she'll be freezing wearing just that....
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby Maximus T » 06 Sep 2013, 11:10

CunningSmile wrote:
Maximus T wrote:I'm pretty sure that not all cosplayed characters are done so because they are sexy, but more to the point, what is Metal Gear Solid supposed to stand for? I don't know, but looking at what they've released about this latest instalment, I've seen child soldiers. Two things now spring to mind. Firstly, why are people more concerned about character appearances than having child soldiers in a game? Secondly, if there are child soldiers in the game, the tone seems darker and more serious, so how is having a character dressed like that at all even logical for the game design, let alone being acceptable anyway? Just in case I didn't make myself clear:

Child soldiers have always been in it, in fact Raiden's entire back story (and so the plot of MGS2) pretty much revolves around the concept of child soldiers.

Still does not make it acceptable in my opinion. Children, stolen from their families, often also seeing said families be executed, then forced to fight on front lines for whatever gang or cartel that took them, wait, look over there, a scantily clad women, that suddenly justifies their presence, or is it the child soldiers that justifies her outfit? Themes confused. Sure, if you've had child soldiers in your games before, go for it, but don't confuse the tone with such character design.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Sep 2013, 11:19

OXM Aoife wrote:
Grummy wrote:Major news! Japan continues to be Japanese.

I don't buy that. I can call Killer is Dead a horribly misogynistic game, because it is. Doesn't matter where it was made, it makes me feel uncomfortable as someone with lady parts.

I would say something similiar only I'm far more testicularly superior to yourself. It's released worldwide and damages gaming image as it were and is quite demeaning to womenfolk. Would be better (slightly*) if it were released in japan only as it does seem to be their culture and while I think it's fairly sad who am I to judge a different culture. It's when it's unleashed, I think is the most apt word for those breasticles, on the rest of the world I think it's a problem.

*Is that better for you people who want absurd things like words spelt properly? You sicken me and that picture shows nothing but giraffe back. It's probably a man in a suit.
Last edited by FishyGinger on 06 Sep 2013, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby vadersmyfather » 06 Sep 2013, 11:24

FishyGinger wrote:I would say something similiar only I'm far more testicularly superior to yourself. It's released worldwide and damages gaming image as it were and is quite demeaning to womenfolk. Would be better (slgithly) if it were released in japan only as it does seem to be their culture and while I think it's fairly sad who am I to judge a different culture. It's when it's unleashed, I think is the most apt word for those breasticles, on the rest of the world I think it's a problem.

slgithly to you to.

Oh, and with regard to your signature...

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Next