to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft's Penello: "I don't see anything better on a compe

Your comments on our articles.

"When I look at these games, I don't see a difference"

In a PAX interview with Rev3 Games' Adam Sessler, Microsoft's product planning director Albert Penello has explained his view that console spec announcements can be misleading, and also defended the company's decision to bundle a Kinect with every Xbox One.... read more

Postby Neil H » 06 Sep 2013, 12:29

I love what this bloke has to say - Microsoft should have put him on stage months ago. In fact, give him the CEO job :idea:
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 06 Sep 2013, 12:30

I think there is a fundamental difference between people's adoption of Live (and the Ethernet cable) and with people's attitude to Kinect and that it is a real stretch to see the commonality between the two. The reason most people have broadband in their homes is first and foremost to enable them to access the internet, gaming may well be a very close second, but a huge percentage of gamers are children and thus they are utilising the internet capabilities provided by their parents. Sticking an Ethernet cable in the box simply allowed people to patch into a (mostly) pre-existing capability. There is a huge difference in the numbers of people that would want to be on Live, compared to those that would want to utilise Kinect, and whilst sticking the Kinect in the box will undoubtedly boost the take-up, I would be exceptionally surprised if it anywhere near matches the take-up of the Ethernet cable.

I am curious to see what MS do with the Kinect, but have to admit to not seeing anything as yet that makes me want to remove it from the box. I will likely set it up upon receipt, but whether it stays set up is something entirely different.

Aoife, out of curiosity, do you know how the sensor is mounted, or whether their is a bracket that allows it to be mounted on top of the TV?
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Microsoft's Penello: "I don't see anything better on a c

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Sep 2013, 12:32

Neil H wrote:I love what this bloke has to say - Microsoft should have put him on stage months ago. In fact, give him the CEO job :idea:

Agreed. He still talks in fluent PR, but at least he is actually understandable.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 06 Sep 2013, 12:35

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
Aoife, out of curiosity, do you know how the sensor is mounted, or whether their is a bracket that allows it to be mounted on top of the TV?

I believe it has no mount per say as of yet but third parties are working on something?
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby games1master_uk » 06 Sep 2013, 13:25

I think some people missed the point he was making. Ive been playing consoles since atari 2600 days. Who remembers the gun on the snes and mega drive great bits of kit but few people had one so no surport now if the gun was released with the consoles there would have been more surport. Then theres the mech game on xbox the one u needed a huge controller to play i think only 1 game was ever made for it now if it had been released with the console i bet hundrads of games would of been released for it. That is what he is saying now the kinect is sold with xbox game makers can make games with kinect in mind kmowing every xbox1 has one.

Just think cod using kinect so when u turn your head right the game turns right.
Racing games u can see all around the cockpit just by turning your head same for flying combat games
games1master_uk 52

Postby SilentDark » 06 Sep 2013, 13:29

games1master_uk wrote:Just think cod using kinect so when u turn your head right the game turns right.
Racing games u can see all around the cockpit just by turning your head same for flying combat games

But if I turn my head, I'm no longer looking at the screen. However if the illumiroom works out, then the combination of the two technologies could be very interesting.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Sep 2013, 13:31

games1master_uk wrote:Just think cod using kinect so when u turn your head right the game turns right.

Great in theory however try sitting in front of your TV and turning your head 90 degrees to the right, go on do it now and we'll wait.

You back? Good, how much of your TV screen could you see with your head like that? Regardless of whether Kinect picked up on the movement and adjusted the picture accordingly you'd also need a robot arm to move the TV screen round in front of your face.

I'm actually an advocate of Kinect, but anything that depends on you moving your head will fail because you still need to be looking front and centre.

EDIT: Dark beat me to it.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Sep 2013, 13:46

The oblivious answer would of course be to turn your body. Say you turn your body to the left so it thinks your head is turning right. Am I a guinness or what.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby richwk » 06 Sep 2013, 15:05

I think the salient point with the new Kinect is, it simply has to work in our living rooms. I believe that's largely why the first version became the white elephant it did - it didn't work for the majority of 'normal' people. If the functionality is fixed so that it is, above all, easy to use, there might be more take-up. Will Microsoft be able to monitor if people have the new Kinect plugged in and are using it?
richwk 30

Postby Maximus T » 06 Sep 2013, 15:19

richwk wrote:I think the salient point with the new Kinect is, it simply has to work in our living rooms. I believe that's largely why the first version became the white elephant it did - it didn't work for the majority of 'normal' people. If the functionality is fixed so that it is, above all, easy to use, there might be more take-up. Will Microsoft be able to monitor if people have the new Kinect plugged in and are using it?

I reckon that there will be way more games which are primarily controller based with added Kinect functionality, so larger areas are not so necessary until you get a Kinect only title, e.g. Dance Central or Kinect Sports. People should be able to use it a decent amount with little trouble. I also think that MS will be able to gather data on Kinects use.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby SF1 » 06 Sep 2013, 18:32

CunningSmile wrote:

Great in theory however try sitting in front of your TV and turning your head 90 degrees to the right, go on do it now and we'll wait.

You back? Good, how much of your TV screen could you see with your head like that? Regardless of whether Kinect picked up on the movement and adjusted the picture accordingly you'd also need a robot arm to move the TV screen round in front of your face.

I'm actually an advocate of Kinect, but anything that depends on you moving your head will fail because you still need to be looking front and centre.

This type of system is already available with dedicated head trackers on PC. Google trackIR and watch some YouTube videos or something. It basically works by translating a small turn of your head, say 5 degrees into a larger (user configurable) change on screen, say 25 degrees or something. That way a small turn of your head allows your eyes to comfortably still see the screen reflect the larger point of view change displayed. Lots of people use this system in flight sim or driving games to great effect.
SF1 28

Postby Geois » 06 Sep 2013, 19:16

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I think there is a fundamental difference between people's adoption of Live (and the Ethernet cable) and with people's attitude to Kinect and that it is a real stretch to see the commonality between the two. The reason most people have broadband in their homes is first and foremost to enable them to access the internet, gaming may well be a very close second, but a huge percentage of gamers are children and thus they are utilising the internet capabilities provided by their parents. Sticking an Ethernet cable in the box simply allowed people to patch into a (mostly) pre-existing capability. There is a huge difference in the numbers of people that would want to be on Live, compared to those that would want to utilise Kinect, and whilst sticking the Kinect in the box will undoubtedly boost the take-up, I would be exceptionally surprised if it anywhere near matches the take-up of the Ethernet cable.

I am curious to see what MS do with the Kinect, but have to admit to not seeing anything as yet that makes me want to remove it from the box. I will likely set it up upon receipt, but whether it stays set up is something entirely different.

I'm not so sure that ethernet was as widely available or in as many homes as you think in 2001/2002. In the early 2000's a lot of us still rocked a dial up connection using a phone line.
Geois 14

Postby games1master_uk » 07 Sep 2013, 09:01

CunningSmile wrote:

I was just making a point of whats possible not being funny though if you are driving in real life u never drive with your head at 90 degrees you would crash more so in england where we have corners. Microsoft can create 2 small screens you can use as side mirrors for racing games that sit at the side of the tv so it would be almost like a simulator now that would be cool.
games1master_uk 52

Postby SilentDark » 07 Sep 2013, 11:51

games1master_uk wrote:Microsoft can create 2 small screens you can use as side mirrors for racing games that sit at the side of the tv so it would be almost like a simulator now that would be cool.

Although the cost of such an add on would be quite large, given that not everyone would be likely to buy it and it only has one real application racing games probably wouldn't be designed with it in mind.

I'm still waiting for my grill MS. Why have you not attached a grill yet?
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Spartan Edge » 07 Sep 2013, 13:25

Seriously, does anyone think that Ryse looks anything other than unremarkable? All Ryse proves to me, is that Kinect doesn't work, as it was supposed to be a totally Kinect controlled game. It now uses voice commands only. something a simple mic could accomplish, Whoopie.... :lol:
Spartan Edge 13

Next