to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Hands-on: why Call of Duty: Ghosts' map destruction hasn't c

Your comments on our articles.

Ed picks up an Xbox One controller and annoys the terrain

You don't stop moving in a Call of Duty game. Not unless you're in possession of an unshakeable terrain advantage, backed by the full might of your team, and utterly sure that you know where each and every individual enemy is, which way they're facing and what they're armed with. This rule even holds during objective capture - players don't so much "dig in" as jog on the spot, edging from one access point to the next, throwing themselves down irresolutely for a few seconds, leaping upright at the slightest flicker on their peripheral vision.... read more

Hands-on: why Call of Duty: Ghosts' map destruction hasn't c

Postby masseysot90 » 06 Sep 2013, 15:05

i think its terrible the game itself doesn't look new fresh ive most cod tites and think now what are they doing keeping the same concept I really do think battlefield 4 will maybe kick call of duty out of charts maybe because there is to many kids playing cod at the moment
masseysot90 7

Re: Hands-on: why Call of Duty: Ghosts' map destruction hasn

Postby GHOSTY05 » 06 Sep 2013, 15:19

I have just gone off these games completely.

Battlefield 4 is leagues in front of COD in my opinion.

Destruction/vehicles are key in a war game for me.
GHOSTY05 39

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 06 Sep 2013, 16:19

OXM ETboy wrote:Best not to attempt that precision hop through a ground floor window once you're hurtling around the map like a punctured balloon.

Haha! That's just too funny. . :mrgreen:
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby slimm35 » 06 Sep 2013, 16:36

http://youtu.be/yRriF6Pu1kk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJIIgdSW6O4

I posted these in the other COD article, and they are a good laugh, (should have waited for this article). Destruction wise there just is no comparison. Seeing as call of duty is more arcade oriented i guess their "destruction" (if thats what you want to call it) works, but its hardly innovative.
slimm35 27

Postby Twilight Error » 06 Sep 2013, 17:16

I'd definitely agree that Titanfall is the one that Activision needs to worry about -- not that I think there's much to be done about it. Call of Duty was the generation-defining game for the 360, and it looks like Titanfall is primed to do the same for the Xbox One. I had a great time play COD with my friends over the last 8 years, but we're all ready for something else at this point. I'd love to see Titanfall take its place, for many years and through many sequels. It has the run-and-gun element we all love, but with enough of a twist to make it appear new and refreshing.

We've had fun, COD, but I want to see other people.
Twilight Error 39

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 06 Sep 2013, 18:02

Twilight Error wrote:We've had fun, COD, but I want to see other people.

My sentiments exactly.
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby RyanGowran » 06 Sep 2013, 18:02

why Call of Duty: Ghosts' map destruction hasn't convinced me - yet
Because you've played battlefield and as the title suggests Call Of Duty is dead
RyanGowran 23

Postby SadCheesecake » 06 Sep 2013, 19:19

I've always thought CoD was better than Battlefield, I feel like travelling back in time and killing myself in the past. I liked that they changed the setting of Black Ops 2 completely but it was still the same pretty much. Now it doesn't just look like they're keeping it the same, these graphics look worse thanCoD 4 did, it's just going backwards, I can't believe it's supposed to be next gen...
SadCheesecake 7

Postby mackered » 06 Sep 2013, 19:37

slimm35 wrote:http://youtu.be/yRriF6Pu1kk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJIIgdSW6O4

I posted these in the other COD article, and they are a good laugh, (should have waited for this article). Destruction wise there just is no comparison. Seeing as call of duty is more arcade oriented i guess their "destruction" (if thats what you want to call it) works, but its hardly innovative.

Thanks for those, I needed a laugh this evening
I'm crafting but where's the bling?
mackered 50

Postby Ivan Johnson » 07 Sep 2013, 21:02

Granted those maps don't look so interesting. But I'm interested in the FreeFall map. Looks like thiings gonna be shifting on its own. That's what they should have shown. But then again lets not forget even Battlefield 3 looked better than COD. It still didn't do as well as COD. It's the gameplay and excitement what makes COD a success. Battlefield's "Capture Flag" mode gets kind of boring for COD players. Map is too big and some don't like to deal with having to jump in jets and helicopters to get around. COD is more casual and the perks and kill streaks makes it fun. But in Ghosts, its nice to have that extra boost in graphics but its still gonna be fun.
Ivan Johnson 1

Postby Dave2123 » 08 Sep 2013, 17:04

Twilight Error wrote:I'd definitely agree that Titanfall is the one that Activision needs to worry about -- not that I think there's much to be done about it. Call of Duty was the generation-defining game for the 360, and it looks like Titanfall is primed to do the same for the Xbox One.

I have to disagree. I still think that all of those people will carry on buying CoD when they get The One, I really don't think that will change. Also, I think that people are more excited for other games than Titanfall. I know it's for 360 too, but people are far more excited for Watch Dogs. Would you say that that will take over from GTA - by your logic it will, but I think all of the games mentioned in my post, and BF too, will do well. I just think that because CoD is just leagues ahead of anything else in terms of sales, nothing will overtake it for a good few years. That doesn't mean that other franchises won't come up and challenge it, but people have been saying for years that BF will challenge CoD, but it hasn't come anywhere near yet. BF3 sold 8 mil in the first month, MW3 sold 6.5 mil in the first day. To conclude, I don't think Activision have anything to worry about. Perhaps by next next gen they will begin to decline, but certainly not straight away when next gen comes out.
Dave2123 29

Postby bamozzy » 20 Sep 2013, 14:47

Well I have Ghosts (Hardened Edition) Pre-ordered from Amazon (£69.00 as opposed to Games £89.99) but must say I am not as enthusiastic about this as I was Black Ops 2 despite the Map Destruction. I think the thing that has dented my enthusiasm the most is MW3. Whilst the previous 2 games from Infinity ward were in my opinion, leaders in CoD genre, MW3 felt like a mess. I wonder if that is because it was more of a collaboration (not just IW) and I notice Ghosts is going to be too. I really do think they need to seriously work hard to beat Black Ops 2

On the Subject of BF4, I have BF3 and whilst that is a good game it is very different from CoD and I struggle with Air Vehicles - there is also no way to learn or improve my 'Skills' without it being detrimental to my team. Also if you have a good pilot on one of the teams this makes the game very one-sided and not balanced too - not a criticism just an observation but there is definitely room for both. It annoys me as a fan of the shooter genre that you almost have to like one or the other however I think the competition is great as it means the developers are working hard to give us a better gaming experience (or so they should). At the end of the day it benefits us as the gamer and I look forward to playing CoD, BF, Titanfall and any other game
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60