to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One's SmartGlass is "three and a half times" faster, ne

Your comments on our articles.

Low latency makes it viable as a game controller, says Microsoft

Stand back, everybody - that handsome, musclebound brute at the door is Xbox One's new SmartGlass app, which is "three and a half times faster" than the one you're used to on Xbox 360. Xbox Live's general manager Ron Pessner has sung the app's praises over at Xbox NewsWire - apparently, the latency has been lowered to the point that you could use your phone or tablet as a game controller.... read more

Re: Xbox One's SmartGlass is "three and a half times" faster

Postby jimbosolo » 06 Sep 2013, 18:25

lazercut123 wrote:I find it funny how Microsoft realised that an in-built screen is a bad idea, but The Unmentionable found it to be good. :lol:

I don't think so, MS helped make Sega`s Dreamcast supplying the OS and it used a built in screen via the VMU. Not to mention that the dreamcast is the precursor of xbox and segas online service became XBL.
jimbosolo 15

Postby KernowDevil23 » 06 Sep 2013, 18:47

jimbosolo wrote:I don't think so, MS helped make Sega`s Dreamcast supplying the OS and it used a built in screen via the VMU

But the VMU wasn't built in was it?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby mackered » 06 Sep 2013, 19:28

"But it has to be the right fit for the right game to use SmartGlass as a dedicated controller," he cautioned. "You can imagine the possibilities where a personal second screen would be really valuable, like play-calling in a football game."

Still banging on about bl..dy American Football I see
Under levelled strikes are Destiny's way of showing you that you're not as good as you thought you were. GT - sorethumbed
mackered 57

Postby Twilight Error » 06 Sep 2013, 19:51

lazercut123 wrote:I find it funny how Microsoft realised that an in-built screen is a bad idea, but The Unmentionable found it to be good. :lol:

No doubt. Even the very biased IGN voiced their disdain for that "other" controller scheme. It sounds more like a distraction than anything. SmartGlass, on the other hand, sounds like exactly what Microsoft wanted it to be -- a supplement. Being able to participate in games like Watch_Dogs and The Division while I'm away from home is definitely something I'd be interested in, and receiving calls from NPCs in Dead Rising 3...? Well, that's just cool.
Twilight Error 42

Postby LackofAuthority » 06 Sep 2013, 22:04

Twilight Error wrote:

No doubt. Even the very biased IGN voiced their disdain for that "other" controller scheme. It sounds more like a distraction than anything. SmartGlass, on the other hand, sounds like exactly what Microsoft wanted it to be -- a supplement. Being able to participate in games like Watch_Dogs and The Division while I'm away from home is definitely something I'd be interested in, and receiving calls from NPCs in Dead Rising 3...? Well, that's just cool.

Yeah I agree, the current SmartGlass is more of an silly tool, I use it for typing and other silly stuff.

The ability to sit and play a version of Watchdogs or The Division while I munch my lunch in work just give's me raging wood.
I get bored playing Angry Birds and other silly mobile games as they don't really link to anything except the odd FB update with 'I got 3 stars in this' messing around on my iPad and/or playing Xbox are 2 of my favourite passtimes. Mashing them together just makes sense!

I can see an addiction forming here and I aint going to no rehab!
Listen to me, do as I say! (or don't, I don't care)
LackofAuthority 6

Postby lfcgorsty » 07 Sep 2013, 10:27

See as an NFL fan and an annual buyer of Madden, I would love the ability to create plays on SmartGlass, it would make the game feel a bit more unique when playing the connected careers as a coach.
lfcgorsty 23

Postby IPlayGamesUK » 07 Sep 2013, 13:13

Will have to wait and see if Smartglass becomes useful for me.
IPlayGamesUK
IPlayGamesUK 10

Postby wheat78 » 09 Sep 2013, 09:45

love this..always wanted to see a poker game using the smartglass as the cards you've been dealt. When at home with friends, they could all sync up with the app to your xbox, no dealing, automated betting the lot.
please someone develop this game!
wheat78 9

Postby Decent_Jam » 09 Sep 2013, 19:30

wheat78 wrote:love this..always wanted to see a poker game using the smartglass as the cards you've been dealt. When at home with friends, they could all sync up with the app to your xbox, no dealing, automated betting the lot.
please someone develop this game!

You know you can do that right now in your home with a pack of playing cards, some blu tac and some place mats right?
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62