to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ten minutes of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag underwater and

Your comments on our articles.

Nautical but nice

There's been quite a few of these gameplay videos for the nautical-themed Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag coming from Ubisoft, and it appears they're not about to let up yet.... read more

Postby Maximus T » 08 Sep 2013, 16:38

This looks really cool now. There seems to be a lot of things to do, but all meaningful things unlike a lot of the stuff in Assassin's Creed 3. (Anyone fancy a game of bowls?) This looks like it could possibly be the best Assassin's Creed game yet.
#browns
Maximus T 63

Re: Ten minutes of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag underwater

Postby SmgUk » 08 Sep 2013, 16:58

Should of made this game as not a assassins creed game so the player can choose to be a pirate or be part of the royal navy etc.

And I still think game based on the Sharpe books/tv series would be a good idea.
SmgUk 25

Postby lazercut123 » 08 Sep 2013, 17:11

Seems good, but I prefer the look of Ubi's other game, Watch Dogs.
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby Grummy » 08 Sep 2013, 17:20

Edward Kenway, the Whaler from Wales.

Also, when he opens the first chest underwater, why does he grope his man parts straight after? "Eh boyo, treasure gives the bloody horn it does".
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Bugsquat » 08 Sep 2013, 17:21

I'm trying to avoid watching these videos as much as possible because I want my first experience of the game to be a completely fresh and new feeling but my curiosity keeps getting the better of me. Gosh darn it!
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Postby Dave2123 » 08 Sep 2013, 17:38

Nice to see AC4 getting an article. :wink:
Dave2123 29

Postby brandyandy1xx » 08 Sep 2013, 19:53

Is it just me or does anyone think AC4 is what the Pirates of the carabian (yes my spelling sucks) games should of been
brandyandy1xx 8

Postby F.N.G » 08 Sep 2013, 19:58

Oh god, it makes me tired just looking at it. The AC franchise turned something brilliant into a yawntastic, joyless and interminable curse. Like The Simpsons, or Family Guy. Or Halo. Too little butter spread on too much bread. They should kill this one off. See what i did there? :P
F.N.G 7

Postby ipsofacto » 08 Sep 2013, 20:08

I hope this is less restrictive than the previous AC titles. Think I'd enjoy just roaming around being a badass pirate, killing a bit in between a lot more than the 'go here', 'go there' like AC1 and 2
ipsofacto 42

Postby mackered » 08 Sep 2013, 20:09

Grummy wrote:Edward Kenway, the Whaler from Wales.

Also, when he opens the first chest underwater, why does he grope his man parts straight after? "Eh boyo, treasure gives the bloody horn it does".

No it was the crabs he caught from the box. Sorry, couldn't resist!
I'm crafting but where's the bling?
mackered 50

Postby GHOSTY05 » 09 Sep 2013, 08:45

I really want to swim in that blue ocean, looks very inviting!!
GHOSTY05 39

Postby Grummy » 09 Sep 2013, 15:07

mackered wrote:
Grummy wrote:Edward Kenway, the Whaler from Wales.

No it was the crabs he caught from the box. Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'm actually sad that hasn't been used as marketing spiel. "You can go hunt Whales, plum the depths of the ocean for buried treasure, go fishing, catch crabs...." all we need then is a bout of scurvy and it'll be a proper pirating adventure.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby lwa03pdw » 10 Sep 2013, 15:12

Am I the only one noticing that for a game that is largely about killing and fighting that all of the combat animations are exactly the same, cut and paste for AC3?? Obviously the dual swords which are new are necessarily unique because they have nothing to steal from the previous game but the fist fighting at the start of the video is completely taken from AC3, the way the uselessly circle you, close enough to touch you but doing nothing and every one of the beat downs Edward delivers I've seen Connor do a million times. Even the individual punches are the same. In fact the only thing that is new is the stupid hunched over walk he has. This is supposed to be some super charismatic ladies man and he walks like a hulking brute without the muscle.

All in all desperately disappointed with how painfully neglected the animation is. The setting looks beautiful and the naval stuff will be awesome and I will almost certainly buy the game but I will walk around as Edward wishing he moved with half the brisk confidence of either his son or grandson all the while beating people up with the same combat techniques that seem to get passed down through genetic memory or did the assassins just formalise their training after Ezio died?

The AC franchise is crying out for a new release at least every other year. I know GTA is a different beast but the benefits of taking your time between iterations is clear and waiting another year for a truly brand new AC would be totally worth it IMO.
lwa03pdw 1

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Sep 2013, 15:24

lwa03pdw wrote:The AC franchise is crying out for a new release at least every other year. I know GTA is a different beast but the benefits of taking your time between iterations is clear and waiting another year for a truly brand new AC would be totally worth it IMO.

Have to disagree with you there. AC3 had been in production for longer than any of the other games in the franchise and was by far the weakest, messiest and over blown of the bunch, probably as a result of having too much time. Just because somnething has a long time spent on it doesn't make it better, and just because something is an annual release doesn't mean it was built in a year.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby lwa03pdw » 10 Sep 2013, 15:59

I agree it is not as black and white as "more time equals better game" Jesus look at Hitman for crying out loud. All I am saying is that if they don't even have enough time to create unique animations for a game that is incredibly character driven then they are obviously not giving themselves enough time. AC3 may have been a mismatch of half finished ideas and needless systems but at least the characters Haytham and Conner had personality and a unique style to them far away from Ezio and Altair before that.

I just think that for a franchise that draws you into these incredible and tragic characters it is going to seem so jarring to see cut and paste animations. How am I supposed to get drawn into this new assassin when the first time he gets in a fight I just see Conner with blonde hair?

I hope you can see my point, this is not about wishing time and money was doubled (although that would be very effective if the producers did a better job of managing the scope so that time and money was appropriately and effectively implemented) it is about expecting that shortcuts aren't taken with the main protagonist of a character driven game.....

Is that too much to ask?
lwa03pdw 1

Next