to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

One last job: Vin Diesel reassembles Butcher Bay team to cre

Your comments on our articles.

It's an MMO-type experience with mercs

Vin Diesel has revealed that he and the folk of Tigon Studios are working on "the third chapter" in the Chronicles of Riddick series, having reassembled the Starbreeze Studios team responsible for 2004's acclaimed Escape from Butcher Bay.... read more

One last job: Vin Diesel reassembles Butcher Bay team to cre

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 10 Sep 2013, 14:17

Saw Riddick at the weekend and really enjoyed it, especially the first 40 minutes or so which in my opinion they could of made the whole movie about and not have bothered with the bounty hunters and it would of been just as good if not better.

I was actually thinking afterwards that if Riddick doesn't make enough of a profit for any further sequels to be made(Apparently there are 2 more movies planned) that a new game would be the best way to tell the end of the story.

It might not be how Vin Diesel and David Twohy want the story to reach its climax but its better than waiting another nine years for the next movie. Though I hope the movies get made. Id actually like to see a game set somewhere after Pitch Black and before The Chronicles of Riddick.
Johnbhoy69 51

Re: One last job: Vin Diesel reassembles Butcher Bay team to

Postby CSCS » 10 Sep 2013, 14:48

Yeah i enjoyed the new movie too was a more worth successor to pitch black than chronicles I don't know about having a MMO in this day and age but another Riddick game would be badass.
CSCS 13

Postby Maximus T » 10 Sep 2013, 15:10

Sorry, what was Riddick originally?
#browns
Maximus T 63

Postby ItchyRash » 10 Sep 2013, 15:27

I really enjoyed both Riddick games so would certainly be interested in a 3rd. Not if it's an MMO though. Instantly turned off the idea
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Sep 2013, 15:28

Maximus T wrote:Sorry, what was Riddick originally?

First appeared in the low budget film Pitch Black, which did unexpectedly well at the box office so was followed up with the game Escape from Butcher Bay, which turned out to be pretty good despite being a film tie in. Then they released a semi sequel in Dark Athena, plus a cartoon series all building towards the film Chronicals of Riddick which completely destroyed half the appeal of the character, tried to rewrite him as some epic hero from myth and pretty much killed the franchise.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Disilluzioned » 10 Sep 2013, 15:46

CunningSmile wrote:First appeared in the low budget film Pitch Black, which did unexpectedly well at the box office so was followed up with the game Escape from Butcher Bay, which turned out to be pretty good despite being a film tie in. Then they released a semi sequel in Dark Athena, plus a cartoon series all building towards the film Chronicals of Riddick which completely destroyed half the appeal of the character, tried to rewrite him as some epic hero from myth and pretty much killed the franchise.
You speak the sad truth. But Pitch Black was thoroughly excellent, as was Escape from Butcher Bay. Why did he have to go and say "MMO"?
Disilluzioned 10

Postby Xbox11 » 10 Sep 2013, 19:43

CunningSmile wrote:Chronicals of Riddick which completely destroyed half the appeal of the character

So you didn't enjoy the film ? I thought it was great
Xbox11 28

Postby Arm Fall Off Mav » 10 Sep 2013, 21:50

CunningSmile wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Sorry, what was Riddick originally?

First appeared in the low budget film Pitch Black, which did unexpectedly well at the box office so was followed up with the game Escape from Butcher Bay, which turned out to be pretty good despite being a film tie in. Then they released a semi sequel in Dark Athena, plus a cartoon series all building towards the film Chronicals of Riddick which completely destroyed half the appeal of the character, tried to rewrite him as some epic hero from myth and pretty much killed the franchise.

Butcher Bay was released to tie in with Chronicles rather than Pitch Black , and Dark Athena was made based on the popularity of Butcher Bay and had naff all to do with Chronicles. Having said that , I agree with you regarding the second film ruining the good will of the first , it's like they had written this unbelivebly bad ass character and then didn't know what to do with him so they just shoved a bunch a effects and Judy Dench at him.
They call me Hadouken 'cos I'm down right fierce!
Arm Fall Off Mav 44

Postby KernowDevil23 » 10 Sep 2013, 22:17

Arm Fall Off Mav wrote:so they just shoved a bunch a effects and Judy Dench at him.

It worked for Daniel Craig....... :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 10 Sep 2013, 22:48

Some of the main problems with Chronicles of Riddick can actually be traced back to Pitch Black. Pitch Black didn't go into any major details of what was happening in the universe beyond the planet with 2 suns. Most likely because they didn't expect to make a sequel. Which left Chronicles of Riddick trying explain Riddicks origin(Which is pretty stupid), The Nercomongers, The Underverse and Jack causing the plot to get convoluted. In my opinion it should have focused on Riddicks and Jacks ''relationship'' with the Nercomongers taking a back seat, perhaps making an appearance towards the end.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 Sep 2013, 23:12

An actual Pitch Black game would be sweet. Could be a horror/stealth experience with a moral choice element to it.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 10 Sep 2013, 23:19

OXM ETboy wrote:An actual Pitch Black game would be sweet. Could be a horror/stealth experience with a moral choice element to it.

Sounds similar to The Darkness
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Arm Fall Off Mav » 10 Sep 2013, 23:55

OXM ETboy wrote:An actual Pitch Black game would be sweet. Could be a horror/stealth experience with a moral choice element to it.

Just give me a sequel to Butcher Bay/Dark Athena and I'll be happy.

A stealth/action Pitch Black type game would be cool but I'm not sure how you would stay true to the character by sticking a moral choice element into it , I mean , the main point of Riddick is that he just doesn't give a shit about anyone. In Pitch Black , the only time he ever helped anyone was if he was forced or it didn't affect his own interests negatively. It was giving him some kind of goodness or moral compass that screwed up Chronicles so much. They tried to add layers to someone who's appeal is that he doesn't have them.

Hence the reason he makes a much better game character than a movie character , but then , that's why this is probably the only franchise in history where the games are better than the film they are based on.
They call me Hadouken 'cos I'm down right fierce!
Arm Fall Off Mav 44

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Sep 2013, 09:27

Arm Fall Off Mav wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:

Butcher Bay was released to tie in with Chronicles rather than Pitch Black , and Dark Athena was made based on the popularity of Butcher Bay and had naff all to do with Chronicles. Having said that , I agree with you regarding the second film ruining the good will of the first , it's like they had written this unbelivebly bad ass character and then didn't know what to do with him so they just shoved a bunch a effects and Judy Dench at him.

Really? I could have sworn the Dark Athena game and cartoon came out at the same time as Chronicles.

I think one of the worst crimes of the second film was their treatment of Jack. They took her from being an interesting (if one note) character and turned her into some teenage boy's fantasy of what a 'bad' girl would be.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator