to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dear Eidos Montreal - I'm worried about your Thief reboot

Your comments on our articles.

Ed hails the quiet brilliance of classic Thief, and ponders what might have been lost in the intervening years

A terrible, potentially career-ending confession: I never got round to playing the Thief games - from whose dank, fragrant soils the entire first-person adventure genre may well have sprung - back when they were a Thing. That's a failure of taste I'm now rectifying, having finally picked up a copy of 2004's Deadly Shadows - generally deemed to be the worst of the three, though also the vehicle for the trilogy's most depraved spine-tingles, and the one Thief escapade I can get running on this filthy dog of a PC.... read more

Dear Eidos Montreal - I'm worried about your Thief reboot

Postby Twilight Error » 15 Sep 2013, 15:40

I've never played a Thief game, either, so I'm not sure what to expect outside of what I've read in articles like this one. Still, the comparisons (good or bad) to Dishonored have me intrigued. I'll probably pick this one up, but will keep my excitement for it at bay.

On a side note, I really like your writing style, Ed. You've been blessed with a great sense of rhythm and humor.
Twilight Error 43

Re: Dear Eidos Montreal - I'm worried about your Thief reboo

Postby OXM ETboy » 15 Sep 2013, 17:43

Thank you sir! I enjoyed writing this.

Deadly Shadows is worth a play for the Cradle and widow's mansion levels alone, though I expect you'll weary of the open world bits pretty quickly. It's a fascinating, grotty universe.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Insaneyokel » 15 Sep 2013, 19:11

Have to say with the changes that have been reported, I am wondering what is left that is quintessentially Thief. Dishonoured was good, but Thief defined this genre (if in fact it is a genre, but you know what I mean) dishonoured really should be considered as emulating Thief, but I am sure others will disagree.

On a side note, have to agree with the first comment, Ed this is a well written article :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby OXM ETboy » 15 Sep 2013, 20:00

Ta yokel :)

I don't doubt it'll be a good game, I'm just not sure it'll be a good Thief game.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Maximus T » 15 Sep 2013, 22:14

I haven't played any of the Thief games. Hell, I barely now what they look like. But I am aware of the concerns. I was excited for Dishonoured, and the comparisons drawn from the classic Thief games to it made me just the more excited for it. When a new Thief game was announced, I was excited to finally play such a classic in a genre I love, it seemed to be displaying the choice of approach similar to Deus Ex HR and Dishonoured. But when it was shown to be a reboot rather than a sequel... I could see concerns people would have. Firstly, it caused people who were not aware of the brand's history to brand it a rip-off of Dishonoured, not helped by the visuals which I must say are very reminiscent. I think the rest is covered in your article Ed. I have a feeling that whilst it will most probably be a good game, it will not emulate the classic I hoped for, even though I don't know what the classic should feel like. :?
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby Baryonyx » 15 Sep 2013, 23:28

I'd always say that you can judge a gaming lightweight by their knowledge of Thief. Greet a friend as a 'taffer' and see what he says. (or taffyr).

To that end, I am becoming increasingly concerned that this Thief has been swept away in glitz and bombast, having it's essential character diluted with lazy mechanics and AAA trappings. Disgusting. Deadly Shadows is the one of the best games of all time (and has been my site avatar here for as long as I can remember). Some seriously valuable IP is being messed with here and I will be extremely unhappy if this doesn't feel like Thief. Dishonored needs to be ignored completely in this case, because as good as it is, it has bugger all to do with Thief.
Baryonyx 42

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Sep 2013, 23:46

Baryonyx wrote:I'd always say that you can judge a gaming lightweight by their knowledge of Thief. Greet a friend as a 'taffer' and see what he says. (or taffyr).

In that case I'm a complete and utter no hoper - I haven't the foggiest of any Thief lore :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby hazeleyes » 16 Sep 2013, 23:37

Install 'tfix' for Thief 1 and 'tafferpatcher' for Thief 2, and they'll run just fine on modern systems.
hazeleyes 1