to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Over 80 percent of Payday 2's sales were digital

Your comments on our articles.

1.58 million copies were sold, according to Starbreeze

The recent first person heist-em-up Payday 2 hasn't done badly for Starbreeze - we'd already heard that it was profitable more than a week before release, but new figures released this weekend reveal most of those sales weren't on shop shelves.... read more

Over 80 percent of Payday 2's sales were digital

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Sep 2013, 17:06

no suprise they were digital when the company didn't print enough physical copies - hardly astounding news lol
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Over 80 percent of Payday 2's sales were digital

Postby ninjadan8988 » 15 Sep 2013, 17:25

I ended up having to purchase this online, since all the stores had sold out of their copies. I'd be curious to know if the story would have been the same had there not been the retail shortage, or if the digital version wasn't available much sooner after release than most games.
ninjadan8988 56

Postby senote » 15 Sep 2013, 17:44

1) Anybody who buys a new game through Xbox Games on Demand is an idiot. The prices are ridiculous.
2) I played this game, if I had bought it digitally I'd be kicking myself, I rarely trade my games because I'm a hoarder, this will be getting traded.
3) When a game looks and plays like this you can tell the budget was 5 cans of redbull and a long weekend, being profitable isn't difficult.
senote 27

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Sep 2013, 21:20

senote wrote:1) Anybody who buys a new game through Xbox Games on Demand is an idiot. The prices are ridiculous.
2) I played this game, if I had bought it digitally I'd be kicking myself, I rarely trade my games because I'm a hoarder, this will be getting traded.
3) When a game looks and plays like this you can tell the budget was 5 cans of redbull and a long weekend, being profitable isn't difficult.

1). I bought it digitally, the price was only a few quid more than most shops and websites were charging, but since no one had it in stock that few quid was worth it. And just because you don't agree please don't call me an idiot
2). Sorry if you didn't enjoy it, but I found it really fun if a little stingy with plot exposition. Many others did as well, including most reviewers.
3). And so what if it didn't look AAA? It had more imagination and originality than the last four CoD games put together. Even if I'd hated it I would still consider it thirty quid well spent to encourage more experimentation and less stagnation in gaming
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby senote » 15 Sep 2013, 22:37

CunningSmile wrote:
senote wrote:1) Anybody who buys a new game through Xbox Games on Demand is an idiot. The prices are ridiculous.

1). I bought it digitally, the price was only a few quid more than most shops and websites were charging, but since no one had it in stock that few quid was worth it. And just because you don't agree please don't call me an idiot.

My apologies, I should clarify, that comment wasn't referring specifically to this game but any purchase through MS GoD, the pricing is insane, and by purchasing games this way you send the message that this pricing structure is okay.

CunningSmile wrote:
senote wrote:2) I played this game, if I had bought it digitally I'd be kicking myself, I rarely trade my games because I'm a hoarder, this will be getting traded.

2). Sorry if you didn't enjoy it, but I found it really fun if a little stingy with plot exposition. Many others did as well, including most reviewers.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it's that it's overhyped for what it is, the AI is appalling, the missions are repetitive and there's what 5 maybe 6 actually variations, it's fun sure, but it's not a good game, it's fun like Doom is these days.

CunningSmile wrote:
senote wrote:3) When a game looks and plays like this you can tell the budget was 5 cans of redbull and a long weekend, being profitable isn't difficult.

3). And so what if it didn't look AAA? It had more imagination and originality than the last four CoD games put together. Even if I'd hated it I would still consider it thirty quid well spent to encourage more experimentation and less stagnation in gaming

My comment wasn't regarding the fact the game has been announced as profitable before launch. You hit the nail on the head with the CoD comment, but I'm not convinced this game is in any way more 'experimental'. I would say it had potential, it was a great idea, but it was poorly executed compared to what it could have been.
senote 27

Postby Baryonyx » 15 Sep 2013, 23:19

It wasn't very good anyway, was it? Fantastic idea, but the execution was a let down.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 41

Postby battfink83 » 15 Sep 2013, 23:33

these numbers mean jack squat. the game was, and still is impossible to get on disk
battfink83 52

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Sep 2013, 09:25

senote wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:1). I bought it digitally, the price was only a few quid more than most shops and websites were charging, but since no one had it in stock that few quid was worth it. And just because you don't agree please don't call me an idiot.

My apologies, I should clarify, that comment wasn't referring specifically to this game but any purchase through MS GoD, the pricing is insane, and by purchasing games this way you send the message that this pricing structure is okay.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because it's your opinion and taste so there's no way I can argue. Plus I thought point one was the most interesting.

I fully agree that most of GoDs prices are insane. Charging £50 for a six year old game is not acceptable, and I agree buying it sends the wrong message. However I think with Payday 2 the message was very different. Amazon was selling this game at £25, Game at £35 (even though no one had any stock) and so £30 on GoD was a competative price and people bought it. That was the message; sell us a game at the right time and at a competative price and we will buy it, and the publisher can make more profit as the retailer isn't keeping a cut. Same with the sales the last six months or so; Lego Batman 2 and Arkham City for £7.50 each? Done. Max Payne 3 for £8 a year after release? Done. Bully (which regularly sells for £20+ on eBay) for £3? Definately Done.

I think going into the next generation, with it's emphasis on digital distribution, that is the perfect message to send publishers and GoD. Retailers are no longer the only route to distribution, in fact because of the second hand market they are a competitor costing you money. Make DL a viable alternative and people are willing to buy from you directly
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator