to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ryse for Xbox One runs at 1080p - three new Combat Executio

Your comments on our articles.

What's the best way to kill a man? In slow motion and high resolution, obviously

I look for a certain Something from the first news article of the working week - a certain je ne sais quoi, a touch of class, of passion. Failing that, footage of pop-eyed classical menfolk hewing each other's legs off works pretty good. Here are three more Ryse: Son of Rome execution videos for your delectation.... read more

Ryse for Xbox One runs at 1080p - three new Combat Executio

Postby TronZler » 16 Sep 2013, 13:49

Cool stuff!
I realise Ryse isn't everyones cup of tea but its certainly on my day one purchase list. I always loved stuff about the Roman era,and add to that such gorgeous graphicness an i'm sold! Take ma moneh
TronZler 23

Re: Ryse for Xbox One runs at 1080p - three new Combat Exec

Postby The Cherokee » 16 Sep 2013, 14:01

This game was originally of no interest to me, but as I have gotten to know it, I have decided to find a place for it in my game library on day one :)
The Cherokee 7

Postby Daniel2 » 16 Sep 2013, 19:19

erm, i would hope everything runs in native 1080p on xbox one? or am i missing something...
Daniel2 24

Postby ChaoticP » 16 Sep 2013, 20:47

The game looks gorgeous, maybe not a day one purchase, but still a game wouldn't mind picking up at some point.
ChaoticP 47

Postby mackered » 17 Sep 2013, 20:49

Don't know about the makers of Ryse but if I were making a launch day title for Microsoft's flagship new console, I would have made it native 1080p. Maybe that's beyond their capabilities.

I thought little of this game when it was first announced and that's getting less with every announcement I see.
I'm crafting but where's the bling?
mackered 50

Postby ChaoticP » 18 Sep 2013, 03:59

I'd prefer the game to run smooth at 900p than get poor frames at 1080p. To get it to run native would probably mean removing effects and lower detailed textures, I think this is the best route. I don't think the reduction will be all that noticeable, but disappointing nevertheless, it definitely puts a damper on the hopes of seeing a game in 4K resolution(which I doubt will become standard anytime soon).

Things people need to keep in mind when talking about resolution is these games are doing a lot more in terms of visual effects, and textures.
ChaoticP 47

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 18 Sep 2013, 06:58

I've decided to stick up a bit for the One on this one.

1. Most people will play on their telly, meaning the difference between native 720p and native 1080p is barely noticeable to many, much less 900p.

2. It's not as if PS4 is running everything at 1080, either. Although it certainly seems at this point that over the course of the generation, the PS4 will be in a position to make less compromises in framerate and resolution.

3. The game still looks very nice from what I've seen with it's textures and effects and oldy-worldy whatnot.

4. 900p is still a big leap forward from what we're getting in many AAA games now. Many of the current gen's best are running at some upscaled version of 600p or less.

5. It's a launch title. I hardly think that Ryse will become the apex model of XBoxOne graphical capability. It's likely been rushed much quicker than they would've liked. The game as a whole has changed almost completely from it's original idea as far as interfacing with the game.

6.1080p or 900p, it STILL matches pretty much anything the PS4 (my personal choice of 1st next-gen console to buy) for graphical prettiness, surpassing most of them and taking Killzone all the way.

Some people, I feel, put too much emphasis on resolution and even framerate, although too LOW of either and obviously it's unnaceptable. We're playing consoles here. If people want the best graphics, PC is where it's at. The TV and the upscaling will minimize most of the deficit for almost everyone, to the point where they won't know the difference between 900p and 1080p, myself included when playing on TV.

Contrary to what MS said, specs ARE important, but on console they are LESS important than say on PC. As long as XBO and PS4 offer a gaming experience comfortably beyond what current consoles offer, that's what really matters and Ryse is easily beyond anything on current-gen consoles, in terms of overal visuals. It's not a race against the PC.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby ChaoticP » 18 Sep 2013, 09:01

wotsahotspotnot wrote:I've decided to stick up a bit for the One on this one.

1. Most people will play on their telly, meaning the difference between native 720p and native 1080p is barely noticeable to many, much less 900p.

2. It's not as if PS4 is running everything at 1080, either. Although it certainly seems at this point that over the course of the generation, the PS4 will be in a position to make less compromises in framerate and resolution.

3. The game still looks very nice from what I've seen with it's textures and effects and oldy-worldy whatnot.

4. 900p is still a big leap forward from what we're getting in many AAA games now. Many of the current gen's best are running at some upscaled version of 600p or less.

5. It's a launch title. I hardly think that Ryse will become the apex model of XBoxOne graphical capability. It's likely been rushed much quicker than they would've liked. The game as a whole has changed almost completely from it's original idea as far as interfacing with the game.

6.1080p or 900p, it STILL matches pretty much anything the PS4 (my personal choice of 1st next-gen console to buy) for graphical prettiness, surpassing most of them and taking Killzone all the way.

Some people, I feel, put too much emphasis on resolution and even framerate, although too LOW of either and obviously it's unnaceptable. We're playing consoles here. If people want the best graphics, PC is where it's at. The TV and the upscaling will minimize most of the deficit for almost everyone, to the point where they won't know the difference between 900p and 1080p, myself included when playing on TV.

Contrary to what MS said, specs ARE important, but on console they are LESS important than say on PC. As long as XBO and PS4 offer a gaming experience comfortably beyond what current consoles offer, that's what really matters and Ryse is easily beyond anything on current-gen consoles, in terms of overal visuals. It's not a race against the PC.

I agree, I think there is far too much emphasis being put on the resolution, few people will actually be able to look at their TV screen and tell whether a game is running at 1080p or 900p unless they have a huge TV like say a 60inch TV. This is just the start of the gen, even though the consoles have architecture similar to PCs the games still have to be optimized, especially in the case of the X1 and its ESRAM. Many people also neglect the fact these games are doing much more visually(higher polycounts, more detailed textures, particles effects, etc.). This gen will not be outdoing PCs, but this is still a huge leap forward.
ChaoticP 47

Postby xXPiperAlphaXx » 18 Sep 2013, 14:54

wotsahotspotnot wrote:I've decided to stick up a bit for the One on this one.

Beautifully put.
xXPiperAlphaXx 16

Postby Dave2123 » 18 Sep 2013, 19:25

You've sort of contradicted yourself in the article. You say it's 900p native and then go on to say it's 1080p native. Also, I'm extremely disappointed that, even with The One's amazing tech, we still can't get all games 1080p native. It really isn't very good. Some 360 games are 1080p native, so every single next gen game should be.
Dave2123 29

Postby CR33D » 18 Sep 2013, 19:30

Dave2123 wrote:You've sort of contradicted yourself in the article. You say it's 900p native and then go on to say it's 1080p native. Also, I'm extremely disappointed that, even with The One's amazing tech, we still can't get all games 1080p native. It really isn't very good. Some 360 games are 1080p native, so every single next gen game should be.

That was the original article, he updated the article when he found out about the twitter message.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby mackered » 18 Sep 2013, 20:27

ChaoticP wrote:I'd prefer the game to run smooth at 900p than get poor frames at 1080p. To get it to run native would probably mean removing effects and lower detailed textures, I think this is the best route. I don't think the reduction will be all that noticeable, but disappointing nevertheless, it definitely puts a damper on the hopes of seeing a game in 4K resolution(which I doubt will become standard anytime soon).

Things people need to keep in mind when talking about resolution is these games are doing a lot more in terms of visual effects, and textures.

I'm sorry but I beg to disagree with you. 1080p would run on any half-a..ed PC two years ago. Microsoft are touting the one as a current PC equivalent. A LAUNCH FLAGSHIP title should do exactly that, not say, sorry we couldn't get it to run.

Poor framerate or lowered textures would just tend to show a poor engine. Others can get it to run, I would expect Microsoft to do the same.

I love ms and love my console but there really is no excuse. Like I posted before, didn't think much at the reveal, even less now.
mackered 50

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 19 Sep 2013, 08:27

Well, as I say, Ryse still looks nice and I challenge almost anyone to try and tell the difference between 900p upscaled to 1080p, and true 1080p on my 32'' TV.

Console gaming is console gaming and should be compared only to console gaming. Compared to the consoles and games we currently have, the XBoxOne and Ryse is some fair way ahead of the 360 and it's library of games.

EDIT: As far as MS 'touting the One as a PC equivalent', I don't recall them ever saying such a thing, but I'll give you some benefit there and believe you. If that's what they said, I wouldn't surprise me as everything that has come out of their mouths in the past year has sounded to me like a terrible mistake. This is what turned me from being a hardcore XBox gamer into after E3 considering preordering a PS4. The stubborn refusal to sell Kinect separately being the thing that finally did it, whatever their reasons for holding on to it. If they're comparing XBOne to a PC they're fools but I imagine if that's what they're saying then it's just PR nonsense that no onein their right mind ought to believe for a second. You just need to compare the cost of XBOne and PS4 to a good gaming PC to see that it's simply not right or fair to compare them.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby Xbox11 » 20 Sep 2013, 06:37

You can all make as many excuses as you want, But at the end of the day this is 2013, nearly 2014.

A brand new console should be running games in native 1080p with ease, I bought a 1080p Samsung TV more or less around the launch of 360.

Its not as if they haven't had time to put a decent machine together, 1080p has been the norm for ages, My TV was only 40 inches and i could tell a big difference between 1080p and 720p, Ive never run 900p through it but i imagine i would see the difference too.

Anyone who says frame rates don't matter and resolution isn't important is obviously blind and owns a black and white TV license.

HDMI 2.0 has just been approved and is able to run 4k @60hz , something Xbox One should of been able to do at least in video, And you're telling me it cant even manage 1080p, 'Is acceptable because its a console'

The only reason Microsoft get a slight excuse with this is because its using Crytek's engine which in the past has been known to be slightly.... 'power hungry' Will it run Ryse?
Xbox11 28

Postby mackered » 20 Sep 2013, 21:12

wotsahotspotnot wrote:Well, as I say, Ryse still looks nice and I challenge almost anyone to try and tell the difference between 900p upscaled to 1080p, and true 1080p on my 32'' TV.

Console gaming is console gaming and should be compared only to console gaming. Compared to the consoles and games we currently have, the XBoxOne and Ryse is some fair way ahead of the 360 and it's library of games.

EDIT: As far as MS 'touting the One as a PC equivalent', I don't recall them ever saying such a thing, but I'll give you some benefit there and believe you. If that's what they said, I wouldn't surprise me as everything that has come out of their mouths in the past year has sounded to me like a terrible mistake. This is what turned me from being a hardcore XBox gamer into after E3 considering preordering a PS4. The stubborn refusal to sell Kinect separately being the thing that finally did it, whatever their reasons for holding on to it. If they're comparing XBOne to a PC they're fools but I imagine if that's what they're saying then it's just PR nonsense that no onein their right mind ought to believe for a second. You just need to compare the cost of XBOne and PS4 to a good gaming PC to see that it's simply not right or fair to compare them.

The point is I'm not playing it on your 32inch TV, my post was about ME playing not YOU playing. I'm playing it on my 32" monitor and I CAN tell the difference. I can also tell the difference on my 42" TV. Whether or not YOU can tell the difference is of no interest to ME when I'm spending MY money which is why none of it will be spent on RYSE.

Also, I'm not a fool and nor is anyone who compares the xbox one to a PC. The xbox one IS a current gen PC basically. What makes high end pc's ridiculously expensive is the (often unnecessary) lengths that some gamers will go to for graphical fidelity and over clocking thus requiring extra cooling and psu capability. I did not compare it to a high end gaming PC but a current PC which is what it is. The only fool around is the person who thinks that it isn't a PC. A current gen, basic gaming PC is actually cheaper than an Xbone.

Time will tell whether xbox one or ps4 is the better call but I'm pretty sure that if you are used to xbox live you are going to be pretty hacked off on the ps4 version but good luck to you.
mackered 50