to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Turn 10: "you don't usually see" a launch game as innovative

Your comments on our articles.

"Usually the flagship titles come along a bit later," suggests Dan Greenawalt

Why do racing titles make such good console launch titles? It's a question many have pondered, including OXM's resident car nut Jonty, who once suggested to me that both cars and videogames consoles are "aspirational" lifestyle products, and that combining the two is thus rather like plaiting gold with platinum. Or eating chocolate ice cream off a diamond. Or something.... read more

Turn 10: "you don't usually see" a launch game as innovative

Postby hazy33 » 16 Sep 2013, 14:02

Innovative? Really. Where's a full day/night cycle? Weather effects ie. Rain and snow. What about motobikes?
All we here is this drivatar system which you just know isn't going to make a blind bit of difference when playing, or not.
hazy33 21

Re: Turn 10: "you don't usually see" a launch game as innova

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Sep 2013, 14:16

hazy33 wrote:Innovative? Really. Where's a full day/night cycle? Weather effects ie. Rain and snow. What about motobikes?
All we here is this drivatar system which you just know isn't going to make a blind bit of difference when playing, or not.

Depends what you mean by innovative. The sun rising and setting isn't something I'd call innovative (been happening for about 13 billion years) but a new physics engine and a completely new way the AI has been set up is.

You may dismiss drivatar as not making a blind bit of difference but i can guarentee now that if Day/Night was the only thing that had changed someone else would be on here saying it doesn't make a blind bit of difference but where's the new variable AI that adapts to your driving style and mimics human behaviour.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby majormomsticky » 16 Sep 2013, 14:50

I for one am looking forward to this game got it with my pre order day one edition :D
majormomsticky 30

Postby crippyd » 16 Sep 2013, 14:53

This is the only game I'm getting on the pre order. I'm quite excited for it now. Really looks good on the videos.
crippyd 54

Postby Maximus T » 16 Sep 2013, 16:06

hazy33 wrote:Innovative? Really. Where's a full day/night cycle? Weather effects ie. Rain and snow. What about motobikes?

I don't see why you would need a day/night cycle, as races usually don't take 12 hours to complete. Mixing in motorbikes would be illogical for a franchise which has been solidly 4 wheels since its conception. Wouldn't be innovative either. I can see the Drivatar system making a lot of difference, should be effectively as though you were playing multiplayer the whole time, not the boring perfectly-glued-to-racing-line AI you can see previously.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Baryonyx » 16 Sep 2013, 18:18

Some open wheeled physics would be cool.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 36

Postby SF1 » 16 Sep 2013, 18:35

Baryonyx wrote:Some open wheeled physics would be cool.

Good job we get that this time around with indycar and the 70's F1 cars.

I have the LE on pre order and will spend the run to Christmas playing the hell out of this, fifa14 and crimson dragon. Good times coming!
Oh, and yes, from what we've heard FM5 IS innovative in all the ways mentioned, but I'd like more info on the multiplayer aspects. Personally I would prefer what we have coming than a lesser sim or compromised frame rate/resolution to accommodate time of day changes or weather. Rain would be great if that could be done in the future, but only if its done properly :)
SF1 24

Postby hazy33 » 16 Sep 2013, 18:40

CunningSmile wrote:

Depends what you mean by innovative. The sun rising and setting isn't something I'd call innovative (been happening for about 13 billion years) but a new physics engine and a completely new way the AI has been set up is.

You may dismiss drivatar as not making a blind bit of difference but i can guarentee now that if Day/Night was the only thing that had changed someone else would be on here saying it doesn't make a blind bit of difference but where's the new variable AI that adapts to your driving style and mimics human behaviour.

Drivatar is just a new word for car behaviour. Certainly won't be Artificial Intelligence at all. They have to come up with these terms to get the hype up but it's effectively meaningless. And I am a Forza fan, I've nothing against it.

Allow you to design your own car from the chassis up with accurately modeled aerodynamics and race those against friends creations. THAT would be truly innovative.
hazy33 21

Postby Maximus T » 16 Sep 2013, 20:32

Not really, you could do that with your quad bikes in pure, not sure about the aero dynamics but you could definitely build from chassis up, and I believe they are doing that in The Crew, too. There are already so many ideas out there from this gen that the bulk of innovation will now come from the new tech.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby hazy33 » 17 Sep 2013, 00:42

Maximus T wrote:Not really, you could do that with your quad bikes in pure, not sure about the aero dynamics but you could definitely build from chassis up, and I believe they are doing that in The Crew, too. There are already so many ideas out there from this gen that the bulk of innovation will now come from the new tech.

That's exactly it. The game could test your aero in a wind tunnel to give the vehicle a for table of performance data which could then be used to set its in race stats thereby forgoing the horrendous processing power needed if it did all that on the fly during a race.
hazy33 21