to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

GTA 5 Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Five plus three makes ten

Modesty isn't GTA's strong suit. The latest game doesn't have the emphasis of its prequel's opening line "daddy's back, bitches"; the slower-burn story takes its time getting up to speed, but when it does you're treated to radio adverts and player conversations taking pops at thinly-disguised Call of Duty clone Righteous Slaughter. "They're all the same!" proclaims bank-robber-failing-to-make-good Michael, the most erudite of the three protagonists, as he professes he's "more of a movie guy".... read more

GTA 5 Xbox 360

Postby Jobe wan kenobi » 16 Sep 2013, 15:06

Sounds amazing, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to contain my excitement until tomorrow!
Jobe wan kenobi 42

GTA 5 Xbox 360

Postby offline » 16 Sep 2013, 15:09

You mentioned how the freeway had more cars on it and such, is this the same for pedestrians on the street or is it still like driving through a ghost town with no hustle and bustle?

Great review.
offline 1

GTA 5 Xbox 360

Postby Sean Blackburn » 16 Sep 2013, 15:13

Doesn't surprise me this got a 10. It warms my heart to see a game develop over time into something amazing rather than a pushed release and something mediocre. Shame I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get my hands on this early but you can't win 'em all.
Sean Blackburn 19

Re: GTA 5 Xbox 360

Postby Timmeh555 » 16 Sep 2013, 15:15

Can't wait, sounds amazing
Timmeh555 43

Postby Thundercrackers » 16 Sep 2013, 15:21

A really well written, informative & thorough review, the game sounds incredible and i think the awe held by the reviewer shines through as a result :)

My only caveat is that it was Jon who reviewed GTA IV as a 10 - which as his opinion is fair enough etc - but it was a game i really couldn't get along with. It's all semantics anyway i guess, it's getting 9-10's and praise from everywhere, and there's 0 chance of me not buying this so it makes little difference. Still a great read, and i'm hopeful i can come away from it this time thinking it deserves a ten!
Thundercrackers 5

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Sep 2013, 15:29

generally slightly darker edge to the characteristic GTA satire. There are all the expected cracks at consumer culture - TV talent shows, social networking, and approximations of Microsoft and Apple all feature - but it feels less like it's being played purely for laughs

But is it fun to play? Vice City was one of my all time gaming high lights, whilst I thought GTA4 was a soul crushing grind of endless drabness best suited as the background accompaniment to a suicide attempt. Which is this?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Sep 2013, 15:34

If you kill yourself due to this game can I take your place as a mod? I feel like banning someone for the sake of it :P
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Bugsquat » 16 Sep 2013, 15:41

With Great Power, comes Great Respo...Oh, who am I kidding. :wink:
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Postby Twilight Error » 16 Sep 2013, 15:56

CunningSmile wrote:I thought GTA4 was a soul crushing grind of endless drabness best suited as the background accompaniment to a suicide attempt.

haha! That's pure poetry.
Twilight Error 39

Postby Grummy » 16 Sep 2013, 15:59

This getting a 10 isn't a suprise, it was never in doubt. On the balance of things I expect it will be an excellent game, but I too have concerns. Like Cunning, I thought GTA IV was hell to play, boring, depressing, controlled badly and ugly as sin. This *sounds* like it will be incredible, but some of the things you've mentioned concern me. The slow start, slower even than GTAIV which was itself incredibly slow and boring, that's not a good sign, it sounds like it'll be a real chore to play through the beginnings. Then there is the thing with Trevor, which concerns me a fair bit, the lack of choice to ignore a particular part because it is too graphic is a bad oversight. It's a small thing, but it bugs me that R* have chosen to include it then not let people by pass it. I personally feel R* have a duty to inform people and let them avoid the worst of the unpleasantness.

These are the only things I can see might be a concern though, the quality of the controls and general gameplay interface, the story pacing and Trevor. The rest of it really does sound rather excellent.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 16 Sep 2013, 16:11

Loved GTA IV, going to love this! Even though I'm a dirty traitor and will be playing in Sonyland. :lol:

I'm going to a midnight launch for the first time ever, more as a dry run for getting my Xbox One in a couple of months' time than not being able to wait a few hours to play this. I'm going to have to loiter in the nearby 24-hour McDonalds for ages as the last bus only gets in at 10:20pm. Then I'll have to get a taxi back, which I'm sure will cost a fortune. :roll:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Bin Boy Billy » 16 Sep 2013, 16:45

I cannot wait until tomorrow.
Bin Boy Billy 31

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 16 Sep 2013, 16:48

I read on Gameinformer that we shouldn't install both discs. I really dislike having to play from the disc though

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/16/rockstar-warns-xbox-360-players-not-to-install-both-gta-v-discs.aspx
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby OXM Jonty » 16 Sep 2013, 17:03

CunningSmile wrote:
generally slightly darker edge to the characteristic GTA satire. There are all the expected cracks at consumer culture - TV talent shows, social networking, and approximations of Microsoft and Apple all feature - but it feels less like it's being played purely for laughs

But is it fun to play? Vice City was one of my all time gaming high lights, whilst I thought GTA4 was a soul crushing grind of endless drabness best suited as the background accompaniment to a suicide attempt. Which is this?

I think it's a bit more fun than GTA 4, and the ending's definitely better (the one I got, anyway) but Michael and Trevor aren't pleasant people. They're funny sometimes, but they aren't nice, and that can be a bit draining at times.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Jonty » 16 Sep 2013, 17:05

offline wrote:You mentioned how the freeway had more cars on it and such, is this the same for pedestrians on the street or is it still like driving through a ghost town with no hustle and bustle?

Great review.

Glad you like it - the pedestrian density is maybe a bit higher, but it's still no Hitman, crowd-wise. The traffic density isn't a big jump but it's noticeable: it's hard work getting through traffic, and running up the freeway feels authentically suicidal.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Next