to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Valiant Hearts: The Great War - putting a brave face on the

Your comments on our articles.

Sorry Riley - we've found our new favourite war dog

Think about how many games you've played that encourage you to pick up a gun and pull the trigger. Quite a few, aren't there? Now, consider just how many of those games then encouraged you to stop and think about the real human cost of whatever war - fictional or historical - you're blindly playing a part in. Not too many, I'm willing to bet.... read more

Valiant Hearts: The Great War - putting a brave face on the

Postby SkinnerChinner » 17 Sep 2013, 11:12

I like my history, and I'm a sucker for the art style (picked up Rayman Origins for a bargin £5) - encouraging to see the developers tackle the source material is such a mature manner rather than another FPS (not that a decent WW1 shooter couldn't be good, if handled right). Looks like the story/characters are going to play an important part - but how are the game-y bits shaping up? Is then intention for it to be an XBLA or full release?
SkinnerChinner 35

Re: Valiant Hearts: The Great War - putting a brave face on

Postby OXM Aoife » 17 Sep 2013, 14:17

SkinnerChinner wrote:I like my history, and I'm a sucker for the art style (picked up Rayman Origins for a bargin £5) - encouraging to see the developers tackle the source material is such a mature manner rather than another FPS (not that a decent WW1 shooter couldn't be good, if handled right). Looks like the story/characters are going to play an important part - but how are the game-y bits shaping up? Is then intention for it to be an XBLA or full release?

Gameplay looks good - I only saw two very short sequences, one involving the French POW Emile and the other with American soldier Freddie. Looks beautiful in motion, though the puzzles themselves seemed quite simple - but it did seem quite early on in the game, and the developer assured us that things get considerably trickier later.

As to whether it'll be XBLA or retail I'm not entirely sure. I think it's XBLA only at present, but here's hoping it'll see a full release eventually.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Twilight Error » 17 Sep 2013, 14:22

SkinnerChinner wrote:...encouraging to see the developers tackle the source material is such a mature manner rather than another FPS...

I couldn't agree more. There have been a handful of games over the years that have succeeded in telling a good story (Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons being a recent example), and I'd definitely like to see more of the same. It's refreshing to discuss games as works of art or as literary achievements.
Twilight Error 39

Postby OXM Aoife » 17 Sep 2013, 14:35

Twilight Error wrote:I couldn't agree more. There have been a handful of games over the years that have succeeded in telling a good story (Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons being a recent example), and I'd definitely like to see more of the same. It's refreshing to discuss games as works of art or as literary achievements.

Amen to that. See also: Child of Light - http://www.oxm.co.uk/62529/ubisofts-chi ... e-endings/
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Bugsquat » 17 Sep 2013, 15:57

The First World War is part of my A2 History. What would be your appraisal of this game as a medium of relaying the history of the time Aoife?
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 18 Sep 2013, 01:59

I remember an early MOH game on the original XBox which had you fighting through the bombed out streets of Arnhem to the soundtrack of one wailing choirboy and a few sad, lonely 'lamento-strings'. I always felt that this was an attempt by a legit AAA game to examine the human cost of WWII, and all that good stuff.

I'll certainly look to pick this up when it comes out.

Aside from that, does anyone know whatever happened to the 'X360-WWI-title-that-never-was': To End All Wars?
It was literally only a few months from release or supposed to be, but never saw the light of day in the end. They were brimming about it's historical accuracy and cool WWI tech etc. All I can imagine is that it got pulled because of the recent emergence of CoD MW, and the suits decided a WWI would've never flown against that wind.

As usual, the suits....Were wrong......
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby Bugsquat » 18 Sep 2013, 08:21

Yeah, Medal of Honor: Frontline. I remember.

I remember 'To End All Wars' too. Didn't you guys do a preview article on it in the magazine years ago? I thought it looked pretty cool.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Postby MutilateTheDead » 20 Sep 2013, 08:33

Bugsquat wrote:The First World War is part of my A2 History. What would be your appraisal of this game as a medium of relaying the history of the time Aoife?

All anyone ever needs to read/learn about ww1 is in an amazing book called Somme mud! The soldier you follow I this book goes 'over the top' of the trenches in around 10-15 battles and survives all of them. It is so well detailed, I'm going to read it again!
MutilateTheDead 46

Postby Insaneyokel » 26 Sep 2013, 19:29

I think this will bring the First World War to another generation and in a way that is tasteful from what I have seen. As a teacher of History I am always looking at ways to make children see this tragic conflict in a new light and not something that is represented in black and white photos. It also makes me smile that video gaming, the much maligned medium is going to bring this fresh view, that's one in the eye of my more conservative colleagues who think as I have played GTA i am about to go ram raid the school canteen and rob the kids of their lunch money :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47