to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Division - fighting for scraps in the ruins of Tom Clanc

Your comments on our articles.

Hysteria, disease and player trading - another look at Ubisoft's always-online adventure

For all the backlash against Microsoft's now-repealed online requirement for Xbox One, the games industry remains sold on online games, with broadband-dependent titles among the biggest on show at this year's E3. The Division - a show-stealing surprise from Ubisoft - is one of them, an online role-playing game in which you play a member of the titular group, a Spec Ops force battling for control of a pandemic-stricken New York. As we revealed a few months back, the basics look a bit like Clancy stablemate Splinter Cell, but this is a shared world, seeming full of human opponents, and the main story is shaped by the encounters you have with other players.... read more

The Division - fighting for scraps in the ruins of Tom Clanc

Postby Grummy » 18 Sep 2013, 10:12

It's exciting stuff, it really is. The demo was fantastic, highly contrived, but fantastic all the same. There really isn't much more to say. This has the makings of being one of those games that I just get really pumped for as the release date closes in. If it continues to be this good for the next year or so, then by this time next year I'll be going ever so slightly crazy waiting for it.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Re: The Division - fighting for scraps in the ruins of Tom C

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Sep 2013, 11:21

My only concern with this is that it'll end up feeling very futile. If you and your friends spend hours completing a mission (say capturing a safe house) go off to bed and come back the following day to find it's been captured from you and all your stuff has been nicked I can imagine it getting very frustrating.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 18 Sep 2013, 12:06

Ubisoft is being purposely vague about how player factions work, citing the year and a half remaining before the game comes out

So we're looking at a spring 2015 release now?? Or is this an old quote?
This really looks like it's a proper 'next-gen' game, not just graphically, but with regard to the potential innovation it shows. Despite being a rather single-player kind of guy, I can't wait to hear more about it.
Chameleon 44

Postby ipsofacto » 18 Sep 2013, 12:44

This game looks soo good. It's just so far away! :(
ipsofacto 42

Postby JayBCobspiracy » 21 Sep 2013, 10:40

This article has made me sad. I genuinely thought I'd be playing this by Xmas this year. 2015??? Ah man. I'm actually starting to push back when I buy a XbONE as release games are a bit thin for my liking, and I still have stacks of 360 titles to play through. All the games I've been excited for all seem to be way off.
JayBCobspiracy 18

Postby Grummy » 02 Oct 2013, 16:32

So, Tom Clancy died today. I wonder if that will make any difference to the game title?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator