to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

DICE "looking into" Kinect head tracking for Battlefield 4 o

Your comments on our articles.

"I think time will tell what these new platforms can do"

Speaking with Xbox Wire, Battlefield's executive producer Patrick Bach has dropped the strongest hint yet as to exactly how the previously confirmed Xbox One Kinect integration will feature as part of DICE's upcoming blockbuster, Battlefield 4.... read more

DICE "looking into" Kinect head tracking for Battlefield 4 o

Postby J288gto » 18 Sep 2013, 13:25

It depends on how fast and accurate the head tracking is. When you glance left or right it has to be fast, faster than the camera pans I suppose to make it worthwhile. I would love to glance right or left in a chopper or Tank and the game to recognise that direction and speed precisely.

As for infantry the same applies. If I'm on a corner and want to peek or lean round it then I need a quick movement - not a hey I'm using kinect blow my head off type movement. :lol:
J288gto 26

Re: DICE "looking into" Kinect head tracking for Battlefield

Postby Metalrodent » 18 Sep 2013, 15:01

Could be interesting, however how would they make things like turning round work, I assume the controller would still be needed to have total view control (and obviously to play the rest of it lol)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby stylon » 18 Sep 2013, 15:46

I'd imagine this would feel really weird - keeping your eyes fixed straight ahead whilst turning your head from side to side...

Would still like to give it a go though... I know there's something similar for PC gamers into their flight sims/racing games but never tried it myself.
stylon 48

Postby SN1P3R SK33T » 18 Sep 2013, 17:34

stylon wrote:I'd imagine this would feel really weird - keeping your eyes fixed straight ahead whilst turning your head from side to side...

Would still like to give it a go though... I know there's something similar for PC gamers into their flight sims/racing games but never tried it myself.

Head traking was pretty cool on Forza 4. It allowed you to use your wing mirrors and things. First off you have to make the consious effort to move your head rather than just your eyes but it worked.

Not too sure about using it for an FPS in that way though as Racing and Gun Fighting are very different things. It'd be cool more for peeking round corners, tilting your head to the side, as most people do anyway without knowing. Also It'd be cool for looking around in a Heli or Jet.

Voice commands would be the best thing to utilize Kinect for. Issuing orders like "Attack Charlie", "Defend Hill Top!". Also being able to spot by just shouting "Enemy" or something would be cool. Means you can free up a button on the controller for something else.
SN1P3R SK33T 3

Postby mackered » 18 Sep 2013, 20:11

So, you turn your head thru 90 degrees and stare at the wall. Meanwile, the screen pans thru 90degrees and shows a different view which you can't see because you are staring at the wall :mrgreen:

Head tracking only really useful with something like oculus rift although could be good in car racing I suppose and lean
I'm crafting but where's the bling?
mackered 50

Postby ChaoticP » 18 Sep 2013, 23:55

The lean feature could work quite well being you don't have to turn your head away from the screen, in fact it sounds like one feature that could work better with Kinect than with a controller. A lot of games I never used the lean feature because it felt somewhat awkward to do with a controller, this sounds more natural.
ChaoticP 47