to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

GTA 5 tips: how to make a million dollars in Los Santos

Your comments on our articles.

Playing the stock market, who to rob and where to look for loot

As that friend of the small businessman Tony Montana reminds us, once you get the money, you get the power, and once you get the power, you can get the women - or, as the case may be in a more enlightened age, men. While similarly acquisitive, Grand Theft Auto 5 is a little bit more laidback, a touch less calculating about what players should do with their earnings than old Scarface.... read more

GTA 5 tips: how to make a million dollars in Los Santos

Postby MILLZY117 » 19 Sep 2013, 14:14

Do you receive money from replaying heists you have already completed? I've finished the main story and have £27 million per character. I was wondering whether I could keep doing the last heist and increase my money that way.
MILLZY117 9

Re: GTA 5 tips: how to make a million dollars in Los Santos

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Sep 2013, 14:20

I have no idea - I'll check. Not sure you need the money, though ;)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 19 Sep 2013, 14:30

OXM ETboy wrote:I have no idea - I'll check. Not sure you need the money, though ;)

That was a long lunch-break.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby LethalBuddha » 20 Sep 2013, 10:37

You can earn $12000 from the Mckenzie field hangar, $5000 for doing it in the buggy and $7000 for the plane.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby Drago » 22 Sep 2013, 16:40

I tried replaying heists for more money but is doesn't work. And it says you can buy the jet? Where from?
Drago 1

Postby tin » 22 Sep 2013, 16:45

how do you hack the atm's as i cant find a way.
tin 4

Postby William80 » 25 Sep 2013, 11:02

I purchased the McKenzie Airstrip. I keep getting emails from Minotaur telling me i made 19,500 this wee from the property. Where do i collect this money?
William80 1

Postby OXM ETboy » 25 Sep 2013, 11:07

It should just show up in your wallet, but it'll only show up in the wallet of the character who owns that property.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby DHUK » 25 Sep 2013, 13:03

I think we all aspire to own the Golf Club (especially with Franklin to see the looks on the faces of the WASPS). It is proving....challenging, however, to earn the stupid amount of cash required.
I will say that I think there is a good investment following a random event where you pick up a man whose rental car has broken down and deliver him to the airport. He offers you a tip (which I forgot to listen to), and later I checked the markets and someone experienced a 50 point spike (some 25% growth), which would be a nice way to get a handful of millions. Think it was one of the insurance companies.

Edit : The stock was for AUG (AuguryInsurance) that would represent a 44.94% gain

Look out for that.
DHUK 41

Postby TaylorGreenfield » 26 Sep 2013, 15:20

Please answer!!!!! When do you unlock the hidden treasures? I'm just around 10% game complete and haven't seen any of the $ icons on the sea. Do you unlock these after doing a mission or something?
TaylorGreenfield 1

Postby andylang1 » 26 Sep 2013, 23:19

how do u get the side missions
andylang1 1

Postby ruination » 01 Oct 2013, 16:51

Few things here I just want to help out with. :wink:

tin wrote:how do you hack the atm's as i cant find a way.

Well, you don't really "hack" them. When someone (the NPC) is at the ATM, wait until they withdraw their money then do what you do best in any GTA game: rob 'em by beating them up, shooting them, whatever you think will get you the cash.

DHUK wrote:I think we all aspire to own the Golf Club (especially with Franklin to see the looks on the faces of the WASPS). It is proving....challenging, however, to earn the stupid amount of cash required.
I will say that I think there is a good investment following a random event where you pick up a man whose rental car has broken down and deliver him to the airport. He offers you a tip (which I forgot to listen to), and later I checked the markets and someone experienced a 50 point spike (some 25% growth), which would be a nice way to get a handful of millions. Think it was one of the insurance companies.

Edit : The stock was for AUG (AuguryInsurance) that would represent a 44.94% gain

Look out for that.

Actually, the stock is TNK (Tinkle). After he makes it to the airport he will give you a stock tip and it will immediately start to rise. This stock peaks at 33% increase and stays there. That's when you cash out and sell them.

TaylorGreenfield wrote:Please answer!!!!! When do you unlock the hidden treasures? I'm just around 10% game complete and haven't seen any of the $ icons on the sea. Do you unlock these after doing a mission or something?

There isn't a "$" symbol that appears on your map when you are looking for treasure. It's all out of sheer luck when you run upon it, but doing a quick Google search will give you exact locations on where to find it. Best thing for you to do is keep going through the story line. Eventually you will make enough money to buy the dock with the submarine and boat, which really helps when you want to explore underwater with the scuba gear.

andylang1 wrote:how do u get the side missions

They appear randomly throughout the map. Your map/screen will flash real quick, and you will see a dot on your map that is blue, needing help. To get full 100% completion, they need to be done.
ruination 1

Postby BlindHorse » 21 Oct 2013, 12:11

So, I felt compelled to create an account here just in order to reply to this article.

Let me make a few corrections:

1. You can't hack ATMs. You can't hold up a Gruppe Sechs van by pointing a gun at the driver - it has bulletproof glass and will drive away at top speed.

2. "Walk the Dog" ... nice idea ... if you're one of the one in five people who actually has an iPhone and so can get the Chop app on their phone. Otherwise, don't hold your breath for being able to use Chop for anything other than a permanent supply of poop.

3. "Do the same mission with different characters". I presume you were talking about the Hidden Package glitch where it respawns when you switch characters. But this was patched less than a week after the game's release. So, again, no cigar on this point.

4. "Get on the property ladder" - Sure, except almost every property requires about 100 in-game weeks to actually turn a profit. Given that GTA IV, which was a longer game, only took 20 in-game weeks to complete to 100%, buying property only really serves to make you poorer, not richer (unless you fancy waiting around for a couple hundred hours after finishing the game...)

5. The two points about investment are both completely factually inaccurate. You CANNOT influence stock prices outside of a few scripted opportunities, so don't waste your time trying blow up companies' assets in the hope their competitors' stock will rise. It won't, and you'll have wasted good ammo. The BAWSAQ can apparently be influenced by the COLLECTIVE actions of players, although how exactly this happens remains rather murky and unclear.

6. "Execute heists well, but don't pay too much" - This is the only valid advice in the entire article. Congrats.

Maybe it would help if you actually tested some of the rumours you hear about the game before passing them off as tried-and-tested facts. Just a thought.
BlindHorse 2

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Oct 2013, 12:32

Hey ho, BlindHorse. Thanks for the heads-up on the errors in this piece. You're quite right as regards the ATM hacking thing and players needing the iPhone app to use Chop, and yes, I muddle up the LCN and the BAWSAQ in my points about playing the stock market. Bear in mind that this is an older piece, though - I can't recall when that patch you mentioned came out, but I think my advice about the Hidden Package pre-dates it. As regards the property ladder point - hey, I didn't say it would make you a millionaire overnight ;)

I'll make some changes to the copy.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby BlindHorse » 21 Oct 2013, 14:27

Yo, well, to be fair, I gotta apologize about my tone in that comment - completely unwarranted, but I've recently been trying to get a word out of Rockstar on when they plan to make the iFruit available to the rest of us, and so I have kind of slipped into "angry rant" mode by default.

To give credit where it's due, much of the advice here does actually work if you just slightly change the way you phrase it.

Anyway, not really my place to be giving people crap for trying to put forward some help on this front, so yeah, my bad about the tone of the message.

Worth adding that Franklin's the fifth of Franklin's street races is a motorbike race that nets $5250 profit every time you win, so you can easily make $30,000 - 40,000 in one night. This was easily the most profitable activity in the game outside of heists for me.
BlindHorse 2

Next