to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Hideo Kojima says torture scene in Metal Gear Solid 5 won't

Your comments on our articles.

"If violence will give new emotions that are important to the game, I want to put it in there"

At TGS this week, Eurogamer asked MGS creator Hideo Kojima whether the torture scenes in Metal Gear Solid 5, glimpsed briefly in its trailers, would hand over control to the player. Following on from that, EG also asked whether such scenes were necessary in games, and if there should be restrictions on how they are implemented.... read more

Hideo Kojima says torture scene in Metal Gear Solid 5 won't

Postby battfink83 » 20 Sep 2013, 11:11

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT POST

I find it a little hypocritical that people are focusing on the torture scene in gta 5.
I mean, its a game that involves class A drug use (forced), mass murder (forced), kidnap (forced) and all the other typical gta content, what makes torture any worse?

Its an 18 rated game, I just think if people are easily offended they shouldnt be buying one of the most violent game series on the market.
The scene in question is actually an important part of the game, trevor shows remorse for the first time and helps the victim, it also questions, lets say 'questionable' modern day practices that we know have been used by certain countries.
I actually found mgs1's torture scene more impacting, due to rockstars comedic element to theirs
battfink83 51

Re: Hideo Kojima says torture scene in Metal Gear Solid 5 wo

Postby SilentDark » 20 Sep 2013, 12:40

I don't think their should be a limit to how evil you can be in a game. If you are playing as a villain protagonist then he or she must be shown to actually be evil, not have it as an informed ability.

Rape, murder, torture, genocide. It's all very well telling the player that their character is the lowest scumbag on the planet with no morals or human decency of any kind, but if you don't show it how exactly he or she would beat a child to death, or eviscerate a puppy, I can't really appreciate it. Having me complicit in evil acts will drive home just how thoroughly evil the PC is supposed to be.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 20 Sep 2013, 14:09

Call me crazy but I think the scene in which a parcel is removed from a childs
Abdomen whilst he is being held down will spark more outrage than the pretty
tame torture scene from GTA5
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby ChaoticP » 21 Sep 2013, 05:06

If they can implement it in a way that has an emotional impact where they can actually get the player to question his/her actions I think they should make it playable. Will likely be attacked by the press, but that's what the rating system is for.
ChaoticP 51