You can run a PS4 through your Xbox One, says Microsoft

Your comments on our articles.

"If you wanted to be playing Ryse and Killzone at the same time, you could snap that."

Romans! Brothers! Frenemies! Why fall we to strife and discord over whether to buy a PS4 or an Xbox One, when the consoles themselves make such wonderful bedfellows? I refer, of course, to the brand-splicing possibilities represented by the Xbox One's HDMI pass-through port, which allows you to pipe a video feed into the console's dashboard.... read more

Postby SteadiestShark » 20 Sep 2013, 12:13

That's a pretty interesting ability, however it unearths a couple of interesting questions:

1: Will the feed be impacted in some way in terms of quality?

2: Will it add a noticeable extra delay/latency?
SteadiestShark 5

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Sep 2013, 12:13

so could you run a 360 throught it? (not that mine has HDMI)
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Re: You can run a PS4 through your Xbox One, says Microsoft

Postby stylon » 20 Sep 2013, 12:22

Metalrodent wrote:so could you run a 360 throught it? (not that mine has HDMI)

Yes, this was confirmed by Major Nelson months ago :D

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-17-you-can-plug-an-xbox-360-into-the-xbox-one-says-major-nelson
stylon 58

Postby Currambo » 20 Sep 2013, 12:56

Currambo 54

Postby itsxkenny » 20 Sep 2013, 13:09

I dont think this is sending out a good message plug this in plug that in lets get real ppl i have a better idea turn off what your not using and turn it on when you need to think of how much electric you are going to waste having 2 consoles turned on just to save a few seconds switching.
We should all be do our bit to save energy and not just waste it having multiple devices switched on
itsxkenny 10

Postby SilentDark » 20 Sep 2013, 13:18

Don't most TVs come with two HDMI ports, so isn't switching between Ryse and Killzone basically a case of changing your input on the TV remote. I don't see how this is all that impressive.

Now if it had a grill, that would be a different story, and no I'm never letting that go.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Skippy_Live » 20 Sep 2013, 14:13

What would be the advantage of running a PS4 or an Xbox 360 through the Xbox One?
Skippy_Live 26

Postby Bugsquat » 20 Sep 2013, 14:26

This takes game compulsion to a whole new level...
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby TwinStripeUK » 20 Sep 2013, 14:32

SilentDark wrote:Don't most TVs come with two HDMI ports, so isn't switching between Ryse and Killzone basically a case of changing your input on the TV remote. I don't see how this is all that impressive.

Now if it had a grill, that would be a different story, and no I'm never letting that go.

Can you tell your TV 'TV- play PS4'? Nope, didn't think so... How about 'TV - upload', and then capture the video for it? No? Odd that...

As well as being a games console and an entertainment system, it's also the remote you never have to worry about losing...

The point they're making is that you can technically use anything you like on the HDMI pass through - if the device is sufficiently advanced, you'll also be able to control it through that too.
TwinStripeUK 20

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Sep 2013, 15:04

Skippy_Live wrote:What would be the advantage of running a PS4 or an Xbox 360 through the Xbox One?

It means you'll be able to use the split screen functionality of the One with the other consoles, so you could have the 360 image in one half of the screen whilst having the TV or an internet walk through next to it. You'll also be able to switch between the functions instantly rather than needing to change channel.

Also I presume you can play the PS games using the One controller, which many people may find more comfortable.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby GHOSTY05 » 20 Sep 2013, 15:56

Will sure give this a try when my one comes, see what GTA 5 is like to play through my xbox one!!

At least until they bring the next gen version out!!
GHOSTY05 43

Postby tazzrats » 20 Sep 2013, 16:15

CunningSmile wrote:
Also I presume you can play the PS games using the One controller, which many people may find more comfortable.

I dont think you can use the xbox controller, as it won't effect the game, it is simply an image overlay being snapped, no software in the ps4's case is being adapted, but still, this could be a neat feature! :)
tazzrats 29

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Sep 2013, 16:18

tazzrats wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:

I dont think you can use the xbox controller, as it won't effect the game, it is simply an image overlay being snapped, no software in the ps4's case is being adapted, but still, this could be a neat feature! :)

You say that, but surely the PS4 would be being used through the One, so the One controller would be the one you use? Certainly when they mentioned doing this with the 360 months ago the implication was you use the standard One hardware and pretty much treat the 360 as an external drive for playing 360 games.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Sep 2013, 16:39

tazzrats wrote:something or or another to do with the thread

Can I just say your profile gif is probably the best thing I've seen all day
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby CSCS » 20 Sep 2013, 17:37

Technology 8)
CSCS 13

Next