to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft defends free Xbox Games with Gold - "we've got som

Your comments on our articles.

Free games slate may "evolve" into something else after December

Speaking to OXM at our reader-exclusive Xbox One hands-on event last night, Xbox Live product manager Pav Bhardwaj has discussed the future of Microsoft's Games with Gold program, whereby Gold subscribers are handed two free downloadable Xbox 360 titles a month. There's still no definite word as to whether the program will continue past the end of 2013, but Bhardwaj suggested that it could "evolve" along lines drawn by Microsoft's free-to-play strategy on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.... read more

Microsoft defends free Xbox Games with Gold - "we've got som

Postby Blackie252 » 20 Sep 2013, 14:01

I think people want to much for nothing today, how can you complain at something given for free! They have no need or duty to provide free games so whatever we get is a bonus. It is exactly the same as the uproar when Fifa 14 was announced as a free addition to Xbox one pre-orders.

If you don't like the free game, well touch luck, play it anyway, you may be surprised and the fact you haven't paid for it means you haven't lost out!

Mini rant over!
Blackie252 23

Re: Microsoft defends free Xbox Games with Gold - "we've got

Postby Jobe wan kenobi » 20 Sep 2013, 14:15

Blackie252 wrote:I think people want to much for nothing today, how can you complain at something given for free! They have no need or duty to provide free games so whatever we get is a bonus. It is exactly the same as the uproar when Fifa 14 was announced as a free addition to Xbox one pre-orders.

If you don't like the free game, well touch luck, play it anyway, you may be surprised and the fact you haven't paid for it means you haven't lost out!

Mini rant over!

I think one of the main things is that the offerings are pretty poor compared to PS Plus in all honesty.
Jobe wan kenobi 44

Postby bamozzy » 20 Sep 2013, 14:29

Blackie252 wrote:I think people want to much for nothing today, how can you complain at something given for free! They have no need or duty to provide free games so whatever we get is a bonus. It is exactly the same as the uproar when Fifa 14 was announced as a free addition to Xbox one pre-orders.

Mini rant over!

Something for Nothing???

In case you hadn't noticed we have to pay for Gold! Generally what we get for this is no better than Sony offer for nothing- i.e the ability to play online games, access to media services etc... Until Microsoft offered us these 'Free' games we got nothing back in return that Sony offered for no extra cash. You can't say the service is any better generally... In fact if you can come up with something that Gold gives us (apart from the free games) that Sony doesn't offer then please enlighten me....

On the subject of the free games however - I have downloaded ALL so far even the games I have on disc too - Can't say I have got much entertainment from some (Magic, Defense Grid... ) and I have been disappointed that other countries have had 'better' games offered to them (I say better as I would be more inclined to play those) but I do appreciate the fact that others you can't please everyone...

I also understand from the information about the 'Free' games that the value will be about £20 a month so I already know that we will NOT be getting an 'A' rated big budget full title - doesn't stop me wanting it though....

Incidentally I do believe that you DON'T get to keep the games from PS+ if your subscription runs out - they are only playable during the subscription - however it does give some good discounts on games which you do get to keep
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Loving Destiny at the moment!!! I know the story isn't as 'Epic' as it could be but the game is so addictive!!
bamozzy 67

Postby jimbosolo » 20 Sep 2013, 14:59

With PS+ you never own the game merely rent it until you delete it. its no longer available or you cancel your sub. Now a lot of the games given away for 'free' are fairly recent and in some cases very recent. For those gamers and shops that rely on 2nd hand trade in`s this reduces the stock why pay for games when all you need is the console and £40 or so a year sub, oh and DRM.

Funny how when MS dropped the RRP of Xbox they gave everyone £100 of launch games and accessories for free as a way of saying thanks and sorry all in one. Sony never did that, ironic that the rrp of the ps3 was £425 at launch yet some people moan of the price of the xbox one. MS are giving away for free older titles because as they have said it gives people a chance to re-discover some classics, it`s no financial loss or job loss to the developers\publishers etc. MS have been using DRM since 2005 at least with the x360 and charging £40 for xbox live (Sega`s DreamArena online service reincarnated) since the beginning.

They do give away a lot of stuff for free and offer the best quality service but they are a business and have to run a tight ship, unlike sony who has never taken responsibility of their online service hence why it was free and why on at least 3 occasions millions of peoples personal info was stolen. Oh and before someone moans yes I did own a psone, ps2 slim and owned a 2nd hand ps3.
jimbosolo 15

Postby Metalratex » 20 Sep 2013, 15:18

I have no problem with old games as long they're good.
Metalratex 25

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Sep 2013, 15:24

bamozzy wrote:

Mini rant over!

Something for Nothing???

In case you hadn't noticed we have to pay for Gold!

Yes we pay for Gold, but unless I missed something in the T&Cs we pay for the ability to play online and to use the various apps. Games for Gold is a new thing they've introduced as a bonus, and since they didn't put the price up its indeed "something for nothing" By comparison Sony only started giving away games if you started paying extra each month and if you cancel they take them all away again.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 20 Sep 2013, 15:31

CunningSmile wrote:Yes we pay for Gold, but unless I missed something in the T&Cs we pay for the ability to play online and to use the various apps. Games for Gold is a new thing they've introduced as a bonus, and since they didn't put the price up its indeed "something for nothing" By comparison Sony only started giving away games if you started paying extra each month and if you cancel they take them all away again.

It isn't free though. I'm not complaining about PS+ or Gold, in fact I quite like Gold but you can't describe the games on either as free unless your accounting skillz really are mad...z.

I fear this could become quite a tedious argument over which is better though.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby crippyd » 20 Sep 2013, 16:08

I'm of the same opinion as Blackie above. We are already paying for the service without the games, so anything we get is a bonus even if it isn't a popular or recent game.
crippyd 64

Postby clanMOH » 20 Sep 2013, 16:26

Gamer's are so picky these days, always wanting free stuff. I mean I think people wouldn't be happy unless they were getting brand new releases for free. I've had an Xbox 360 since launch way back in 2005, I have had almost every game they've offered, with the exceptions of Magic The Gathering, Dead Rising 2 and Case Zero and Defense Grid. I am thankful that they are giving us anything, they don't have to.

Go back and look what PSN+ was offering its first few months, it was arcade games that nobody wanted to buy in the first place. Give Games For Gold a chance to grow, and honestly I stopped my PSN+ membership because you never own the games, it's a rental service where you have no say in what you rent, and to top it off, I have 90% of those games offered on Xbox 360 or PS3 anyway.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a gamer because of how many gamer's act online these days, then I remember that there are still plenty of good gamer's in the world, a few bad apples don't spoil the bunch.
clanMOH 10

Postby Noirtatsu » 20 Sep 2013, 16:43

When did they ever release Shadowrun and Banjo and Kazooie? Thats not how I remember it. https://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/xbox ... full-list/
Noirtatsu 1

Postby Maximus T » 20 Sep 2013, 17:16

Say you downloaded all the titles offered so far, I'm pretty sure that by now you will have effectively countered the amount you paid for gold with the value of the free games, if you understand what I'm saying here. I have been happy with the games offered, downloaded most of them, and it's great, as I never got anything else before for being a gold sub ('cept the online privileges etc.) so it can only be a good thing really.
and this...
Noirtatsu wrote:When did they ever release Shadowrun and Banjo and Kazooie? Thats not how I remember it. https://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/xbox ... full-list/

Those games were released in other countries like south Africa and Germany I think where the game we got would have been controversial or something.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby N00binator 360 » 20 Sep 2013, 17:24

Can we have GTA V as the free game for October and possibly Battlefield 4? TVM
N00binator 360 32

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Sep 2013, 17:25

Maximus T wrote:Say you downloaded all the titles offered so far, I'm pretty sure that by now you will have effectively countered the amount you paid for gold with the value of the free games, if you understand what I'm saying here.

The quality hasn't been great as far as I'm concerned. It'd also be disingenuous to not compare it to the same service offered by Sony, which is far superior.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Maximus T » 20 Sep 2013, 17:34

vadersmyfather wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Say you downloaded all the titles offered so far, I'm pretty sure that by now you will have effectively countered the amount you paid for gold with the value of the free games, if you understand what I'm saying here.

The quality hasn't been great as far as I'm concerned. It'd also be disingenuous to not compare it to the same service offered by Sony, which is far superior.

Didn't say nowt 'bout quality. I'm talking from a pricing perspective. If I explained I would just be reiterating my point. If I downloaded all of these free games, I will have downloaded near £40 worth of product, effectively paying back my gold membership this year. Relative to previously, this isn't too shabby. Relative to PSN+, less great, but who cares? I play Xbox and I'm getting free games, permanently saved to my hard drive.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby bamozzy » 20 Sep 2013, 17:53

I never said that I didn't see these games as a bonus - what I did say though is that we pay for Gold and compared to Sony which offers everything we get from Gold (with the exception of the free games) for nothing then by comparison we appear to be getting a rough deal. However the addition of the free games is a welcome one from my perspective regardless of the games we get. I have said that I have downloaded every game so far too however I would like us in the UK to have been given Banjo and Kazooie and/or Shadowrun instead of defense grid or Magic. I also think I said that you can't please everyone. I also mentioned the fact that Microsoft are giving us games valued at about £20 a month so in effect it has paid for itself. As this is only a new addition Gold it still has some way to go to cover my total investment and to be equal to my investment on my PS3 for the ability to play online or watch media apps.

Anyone though who thinks these are 'Free' though are mistaken as it does require you to spend money on Gold but I do see these as a 'Bonus' - maybe it is Microsofts way of trying to get everyone to buy 'Gold' rather than to reward those of us who have done so as I know a good many friends that have the console but do not wish to play online OR watch media apps
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Loving Destiny at the moment!!! I know the story isn't as 'Epic' as it could be but the game is so addictive!!
bamozzy 67

Next