to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

11 Microsoft classics that deserve an Xbox One reboot

Your comments on our articles.

If Killer Instinct can return, what next?

There's something slightly nasty about the word "reboot". I think it's the "boot" bit, which makes me think of kicking, which makes me think of "dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future's insatiable maw". But then, I have an active imagination - and so does Craig Owens, who composed the below piece about what Microsoft should do with its extensive back catalogue.... read more

11 Microsoft classics that deserve an Xbox One reboot

Postby Bugsquat » 21 Sep 2013, 09:28

I played 1 vs 100 every time it was on...until I found out that I wasn't eligible to win because I wasn't 18. I promptly stopped playing. :D
I haven't actually played Black and White before. I think I'd be up for giving it a go on the One when I eventually get one, and if they do it. Kinect functionality on that front sounds interesting.
It would be cool if Maxis could do a reboot of SimCity 4 - my favourite of the series, and I really like the aesthetic of having static objects in a painted style, with lots of detail, and moving objects in an animated style. I liked it in The Sims 1 too.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Re: 11 Microsoft classics that deserve an Xbox One reboot

Postby ElCritique » 21 Sep 2013, 09:55

Surprised that Jade Empire didn't make the list.

I think letting Insomniac develop Blinx would be perfect. They are a perfect fit for each other.
ElCritique 35

Postby mackered » 21 Sep 2013, 10:05

Not a Microsoft game but there is nothing I would rather do than play morrowind on current gen.
Not making a decision is actually a decision...... To do nothing.
mackered 57

Postby Metalrodent » 21 Sep 2013, 10:19

Brute Force looks way more interesting that GoW - lets have that back! :D

That said, Space Invaders is more interesting than GoW
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby schwepterbrowser » 21 Sep 2013, 10:33

So much hate for Gears, Rodent! It's awesome!

... I'd love to see Kameo given a second chance, I played the hell out of it when the 360 launched.
schwepterbrowser 57

Postby ChaoticP » 21 Sep 2013, 10:39

I can't think of what I would love to see more than a new Black and White game. I would also like to see Blinx given another chance, c'mon MS you can't leave your old mascot a stray.
ChaoticP 52

Postby Metalrodent » 21 Sep 2013, 10:48

schwepterbrowser wrote:So much hate for Gears, Rodent! It's awesome!

Heh, sorry - but I dont think I'll ever be able to forgive it, and I earned my right to moan through stress, anger and swears :lol: (and it gives our forum more variety, seeing as most here love it)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Rendombob101 » 21 Sep 2013, 11:02

Conker and Jade Empire deserves also a reboot.
Rendombob101 27

Postby SilentDark » 21 Sep 2013, 11:07

ElCritique wrote:Surprised that Jade Empire didn't make the list.

I think letting Insomniac develop Blinx would be perfect. They are a perfect fit for each other.

Presumably because it's a Bioware IP so any sequel/reboot that were released would be multiplatform.

I'd mlike to know why no Age of Empires. We don't have enough strategy games on consoles, so how about giving this a next gen makeover.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby bamozzy » 21 Sep 2013, 11:17

Just a couple that didn't make the list - Conker, Shadowman (n64), Darkwatch (vampire shooter - I think it was called on original xbox), Blast Corps, Sabre Wulf/Knight Lore.... and I could probably think of a lot more too
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Loving Destiny at the moment!!! I know the story isn't as 'Epic' as it could be but the game is so addictive!!
bamozzy 66

Postby PCG The_B » 21 Sep 2013, 11:23

SilentDark wrote:I'd mlike to know why no Age of Empires. We don't have enough strategy games on consoles, so how about giving this a next gen makeover.

Just to note there was an F2P update of Age of Empires called AOE Online which sadly is no longer accepting new players due to the closure of the GFWL marketplace and will be fully shut down once GFWL itself shutters in July 2014. I'd like to hope maybe they could do something on Xbox One though sadly the death of Ensemble doesn't leave a lot of options for RTS devs with console experience. :(
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby msbhvn » 21 Sep 2013, 11:37

PCG The_B wrote:
SilentDark wrote:I'd mlike to know why no Age of Empires. We don't have enough strategy games on consoles, so how about giving this a next gen makeover.

Just to note there was an F2P update of Age of Empires called AOE Online which sadly is no longer accepting new players due to the closure of the GFWL marketplace and will be fully shut down once GFWL itself shutters in July 2014. I'd like to hope maybe they could do something on Xbox One though sadly the death of Ensemble doesn't leave a lot of options for RTS devs with console experience. :(

GFWL is being scrapped? I know it's never been very popular, but to cripple a lot of the games that used it by pulling the plug is hardly going to help.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby bamozzy » 21 Sep 2013, 11:43

bamozzy wrote:Just a couple that didn't make the list - Conker, Shadowman (n64), Darkwatch (vampire shooter - I think it was called on original xbox), Blast Corps, Sabre Wulf/Knight Lore.... and I could probably think of a lot more too

Just remembered Jet Force Gemini too...
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Loving Destiny at the moment!!! I know the story isn't as 'Epic' as it could be but the game is so addictive!!
bamozzy 66

Postby TomAZ600 » 21 Sep 2013, 12:49

I would like a Shenmue sequel, playing Shenmue 2 on my 360 was a blast! Plus another Quantic Dream game.
TomAZ600 35

Postby marky c » 21 Sep 2013, 12:56

TomAZ600 wrote:I would like a Shenmue sequel, playing Shenmue 2 on my 360 was a blast! Plus another Quantic Dream game.

Beat me to it!Something Shenmue related(HD remakes)would be fantastic!
marky c 2

Next