to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Do all Xbox One games get dedicated servers? Cloud is "a too

Your comments on our articles.

Do all Xbox One games get dedicated servers? Cloud is "a too

Postby SilentDark » 01 Oct 2013, 13:23

"Every title can take advantage of our cloud services. Think of it as a tool in the toolbox for our developers to drive their vision and our goal is to make it easy and simple for them to do so."

Can anybody here translate executive waffle? For people trying to make things easy and simple they could start with their speech patterns and work from there.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Re: Do all Xbox One games get dedicated servers? Cloud is "a

Postby ChaoticP » 01 Oct 2013, 13:28

I wouldn't say he was elusive, but vague. From the wording it sounds like a deal would have to be struck with MS, or they are still working out the details on how it will be distributed.
ChaoticP 52

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Oct 2013, 13:42

SilentDark wrote:"Every title can take advantage of our cloud services. Think of it as a tool in the toolbox for our developers to drive their vision and our goal is to make it easy and simple for them to do so."

Can anybody here translate executive waffle? For people trying to make things easy and simple they could start with their speech patterns and work from there.

TRANSLATION MODE ENGAGED: The Cloud's there. Every developer can use it. It's quite easy for them to use. But they need to ask obviously.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 01 Oct 2013, 13:50

Now why couldn't they just say that. Or alternatively "I could give you a straight answer, but I'd rather not, so just make up some nonsensical jargon only accountants and lawyers can translate."
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Postby ChaoticP » 01 Oct 2013, 14:17

If I had to guess they haven't worked everything out, so they probably don't want to promise much, or there's some catch.
ChaoticP 52

Postby ABitOfACock » 01 Oct 2013, 14:42

does anyone else get the feeling that by the time the ps5 and whatever the next xbox is called get released we will need a degree in astrophysics to understand the specs ??? I'm lost man... I still think wifi is some sort of witchcraft... so cloud based gaming ??? not a clue...

I honestly miss the simplicity of putting 20p in afterburner in the arcade... I understood that... crap at it... and the big boys stole my candy floss while I wasn't looking... but at least I knew where my money was going... now it's being spent on machines that hover above our heads in the clouds... (i think)...

I should just get myself a rocking chair and some slippers and be done with it...
ABitOfACock 21

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Oct 2013, 14:45

ABitOfACock wrote:does anyone else get the feeling that by the time the ps5 and whatever the next xbox is called get released we will need a degree in astrophysics to understand the specs ??? I'm lost man... I still think wifi is some sort of witchcraft... so cloud based gaming ??? not a clue...

More frightening, there may never be a PS5 or NeXtbox after this generation for you to not understand the specs off. Several tech heads within MS and Sony have said that Cloud gaming is so flexible they may be able to update everything remotely and just use the box to stream it.

Not sure if I buy it personally, but then I'm as baffled as you about what all these numbers mean.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby DoucheVader » 01 Oct 2013, 15:42

Timmeh555 wrote:I would not say he is being elusive but he is simply saying that every can use it if they choose to but that not all will

There is likely a fee for devs and publishers to access the Cloud. There is NO way, MS will just open up the Cloud to any game at no charge. This is Micro$oft we are talking about LOL.

Don't be so naive people.
DoucheVader 19

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Oct 2013, 15:56

DoucheVader wrote:
Timmeh555 wrote:I would not say he is being elusive but he is simply saying that every can use it if they choose to but that not all will

There is likely a fee for devs and publishers to access the Cloud. There is NO way, MS will just open up the Cloud to any game at no charge. This is Micro$oft we are talking about LOL.

The same MS that scrapped patching fees on all games going forward and greatly reduced the price for indie devs to release their games? You're right, it's naive to expect them to do anything for free that would improve the reputation of their product.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Stevon » 01 Oct 2013, 23:13

DoucheVader wrote:

Guys does anyone understand how online multiplayer games are made?

Originally Devs would pay a server farm, to create dedicated servers, but it was expensive.

Or they could go with the cheaper method of p2p servers, but nobody likes those servers.

However its been stated with the cloud, that games dev are able to purchase servers (dedicated) at the same price or even cheaper then creating p2p servers. Thats the advantage of the cloud.
Stevon 3

Postby Twilight Error » 02 Oct 2013, 15:54

Stevon wrote:However its been stated with the cloud, that games dev are able to purchase servers (dedicated) at the same price or even cheaper then creating p2p servers. Thats the advantage of the cloud.

If that's the case, and I believe that it is, then Microsoft should be discussing this fact at every opportunity. Having dedicated servers for multiplayer games is a huge advantage over a continuation of the frustratingly antiquated P2P model.

And this is why my first child shall be named "Azure". And when children in the neighborhood want to play as a group, my child will act as liaison. And there will be lemonade and those little cakes with the icing swirl on top. And everyone will be happy and rejoice for the convenience of it all, and also for the cakes.

All hail Azure.
Twilight Error 43

Postby CunningSmile » 02 Oct 2013, 16:14

I like cakes with swirly stuff on them, and lemonade (although are we talking the stuff you guys have or the fizzy UK version? Helps conjure up the image) so if your daughter comes with them then I like her already.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Twilight Error » 02 Oct 2013, 16:27

CunningSmile wrote:I like cakes with swirly stuff on them, and lemonade (although are we talking the stuff you guys have or the fizzy UK version? Helps conjure up the image) so if your daughter comes with them then I like her already.

There will be fizz. Everything is better with carbonation. Azure wouldn't have it any other way. All hail Azure. And fizz.
Twilight Error 43