to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Does Titanfall need single player? Respawn talks bots-only b

Your comments on our articles.

Xbox console exclusive "wasn't always the Titanfall that you're playing today"

Respawn's always-online shooter Titanfall doesn't just blend the peanut butter of infantry gunplay with the double chocolate spread that is giant robots. It's also a mixture of the whipped cream that is multiplayer and the nougat that is a "proper" narrative. I find the resulting, artery-clogging confection incredibly hard to put down, but will it be quite as attractive to those who'd rather not mix their condiments - those who, to junk this sticky analogy, would rather experience the story and world without being interrupted by other players?... read more

Does Titanfall need single player? Respawn talks bots-only b

Postby MrRandomHero » 01 Oct 2013, 15:19

As part of that 5% that finishes (and only plays) single player I guess there's nothing for me here. Ah well.
MrRandomHero 31

Re: Does Titanfall need single player? Respawn talks bots-on

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Oct 2013, 16:03

"And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game."

Can't help thinking that as ex-CoD developers they are looking at market research from a pretty skewed end of the market. Yes, maybe only 5% of people finish the SP on CoD (it's got pretty sh*t plots to be fair, and even at 6 hours it can be a bit of a slog to care about) but you've only got to look at the number of successful FPS games on the market who's MP lobbies are dead ten minutes after launch to realise that's not the whole story.

I'm afraid that by designing a game apparently based on the preferences of Call of Duty players all we'll end up with is another generation of homophobic 11 year olds screaming at each other.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 01 Oct 2013, 16:36

CunningSmile wrote:
"And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game."

Can't help thinking that as ex-CoD developers they are looking at market research from a pretty skewed end of the market. Yes, maybe only 5% of people finish the SP on CoD (it's got pretty sh*t plots to be fair, and even at 6 hours it can be a bit of a slog to care about) but you've only got to look at the number of successful FPS games on the market who's MP lobbies are dead ten minutes after launch to realise that's not the whole story.

I'm afraid that by designing a game apparently based on the preferences of Call of Duty players all we'll end up with is another generation of homophobic 11 year olds screaming at each other.

I have to agree. The problem is that the quality of COD campaign has gone downhill in sync with their focus on multiplayer. It's not really any wonder that a low percentage finish the game, not because it's difficult or long, but because it has become an absolute boring slog of re-hashed ideas and re-spawning enemies.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby G00N3R » 01 Oct 2013, 18:46

Does [insert game here] need [single player / coop / multiplayer (delete as applicable)]. No. The answer is always no.

A game doesn't *NEED* anything. The developers should make the game that THEY want to make. I actually believe that games which focus on one mode tend to be the best games, rather than those who are primarily singleplayer/multiplayer, but then go and tack on the other mode.

However, I also want to comment on that 5% quote, because I believe its very misleading. I am about to post some stats from the games I've played on PC, on my Steam account. These are the % of players who have earned the achievement for completing the game. You can see these stats by checking the global achievements for any game. Console stats may obviously be different, and I don't have access to those stats, but I'd be shocked if they were significantly different.

Skyrim: 34%
Borderlands 2: 35%
Xcom: 33%
Deus Ex HR: 36%
Orcs Must Die 2: 28%
Portal 2: 45%
Sleeping Dogs: 36%
Serious Sam 3: 07% (this is the only game I've ever seen this low and I've always wondered why)
Hitman Absolution 37%
Resident Evil 6: 46% Leon, 33% Chris, 31% Jake
Dead Island 21%
Tomb Raider 48%
Bioshock Infinite 47%
Metro Last Light 47%
Resident Evil Revelations 38%

... do I need to continue? With the exception of one or two games, pretty much everything I've just checked is between 33% and 48%. So I don't know where this guy is getting 5% from, but it seems to me to be just plain wrong, and it makes me wonder why he would be trying to spread false information.

Actually you know what OXM, the next time a developer tries to get away with this, please ask them to comment on these stats. I'd love to know how they explain it.
G00N3R 49

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 01 Oct 2013, 19:33

I found out that 48.5% completed the CoDMW1 campaign on any difficulty, it wasn't specific about the platform, I took it to mean multi platform. Of course the number will probably have decreased somewhat year on year, but I doubt very much it's as low as 5%. I'd bet money on it, in fact.

I won't get Titanfall, and the reason is precisely because there is no single-player of any kind, seemingly. This is one part of next-gen I'm NOT looking forward to, the incorrect assumption that no one wants single player anymore. While I don't mind devs reallocating a higher focus on multiplayer, I will never support a game that shuns single player completely, unless it's in the mold of Test Drive Unlimited, where the map is so huge and other players so well behaved that you don't even notice you're NOT playing alone.

EDIT: It turns out it was platform specific, it's the 360 version.

Here's a link if you're so inclined to see for yourselves: http://kotaku.com/5125969/some-call-of-duty-4-stats-to-boggle-the-mind
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby ipsofacto » 01 Oct 2013, 22:39

I always used to finish the COD single player. Only on Veteran because it posed a bit of a challenge and yielded that ever-so important Gamerscore!
But in all seriousness, I just can't see myself pumping days on end into this game unless they do something drastic to keep it fresh. I'd sooner have a game with a decent story now than anything always-online. Looks good but won't pick this up on release. Especially with Witcher and Destiny not THAT far behind
ipsofacto 45

Postby ChaoticP » 02 Oct 2013, 05:21

I don't see a problem with a strictly multiplayer experience, just as I have no problem with a strictly single-player experience as long as they deliver that's all that matters. Would like to see how well the narrative is mixed into the multiplayer. Sounds promising so far, but I don't think we'll know how well it works out until months after the game's release.
ChaoticP 51

Postby ChaoticP » 02 Oct 2013, 05:36

wotsahotspotnot wrote:I found out that 48.5% completed the CoDMW1 campaign on any difficulty, it wasn't specific about the platform, I took it to mean multi platform. Of course the number will probably have decreased somewhat year on year, but I doubt very much it's as low as 5%. I'd bet money on it, in fact.

I won't get Titanfall, and the reason is precisely because there is no single-player of any kind, seemingly. This is one part of next-gen I'm NOT looking forward to, the incorrect assumption that no one wants single player anymore. While I don't mind devs reallocating a higher focus on multiplayer, I will never support a game that shuns single player completely, unless it's in the mold of Test Drive Unlimited, where the map is so huge and other players so well behaved that you don't even notice you're NOT playing alone.

Here's a link if you're so inclined to see for yourselves: http://kotaku.com/5125969/some-call-of-duty-4-stats-to-boggle-the-mind

Why be upset over the exclusion of a tacked on mode? I get people like a single-player experience, but I think those resources are much better spent focusing on the core game which in this instance is multiplayer.
ChaoticP 51

Postby Decent_Jam » 02 Oct 2013, 07:41

wotsahotspotnot wrote:I found out that 48.5% completed the CoDMW1 campaign on any difficulty, it wasn't specific about the platform, I took it to mean multi platform. Of course the number will probably have decreased somewhat year on year, but I doubt very much it's as low as 5%. I'd bet money on it, in fact.

I'm sorry but that's just gross exaggeration. The fact that this game, and possibly others in the future, will not have single player does not mean that there's an assumption that no one wants single player anymore. Ridiculous claim based on nothing but your own opinion, which I am happy to respect as such, but to claim it is fact just won't do.

You only have to look at Skyrim this gen to see the popularity and value of single player games, next gen will still offer those experiences, it just has more power and flexibility to offer more multiplayer options.

I think this title is well suited to be multiplayer focused, and it will do well.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Watch Dogs, TF, BF4, KI, Forza 5 - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 61

Postby SilentDark » 02 Oct 2013, 07:47

Playing through a games story with a bunch of ten year olds swearing at each other sounds like a new level of hell. I don't really get the thinking behind it either. Surely the point of multiplayer is to be able to set up a match, find players and go. Who actually wants to play online then wait ten minutes at the end of the level while you watch the cutscene. If the cutscenes aren't skippable then that's going to annoy players who just want to get on with the killing, and if they are then anybody who is actually interested in the story might have to miss out because other players just want to get on with it.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby ChaoticP » 02 Oct 2013, 08:50

SilentDark wrote:Playing through a games story with a bunch of ten year olds swearing at each other sounds like a new level of hell. I don't really get the thinking behind it either. Surely the point of multiplayer is to be able to set up a match, find players and go. Who actually wants to play online then wait ten minutes at the end of the level while you watch the cutscene. If the cutscenes aren't skippable then that's going to annoy players who just want to get on with the killing, and if they are then anybody who is actually interested in the story might have to miss out because other players just want to get on with it.

If the the cutscenes are anything like they showed at E3 or Gamescom there shouldn't be much worry about watching 10 minute cutscenes, it seems the narrative is worked into the gameplay more or less.
ChaoticP 51

Postby CunningSmile » 02 Oct 2013, 09:23

Decent_Jam wrote:I'm sorry but that's just gross exaggeration. The fact that this game, and possibly others in the future, will not have single player does not mean that there's an assumption that no one wants single player anymore. Ridiculous claim based on nothing but your own opinion, which I am happy to respect as such, but to claim it is fact just won't do.

You only have to look at Skyrim this gen to see the popularity and value of single player games, next gen will still offer those experiences, it just has more power and flexibility to offer more multiplayer options.

Yes, you only need to look at Skyrim; an amazing and hugely popular single player game that it's publisher has decided to follow up with an MMO because "online play is the future" Look at the next gen launch titles like Titanfall, ESO, Destiny and forward to the likes of Division and its a meta-game of of spot the SP experience. Even with games like Watch Dogs, that on the surface looks like the ideal lone wolf experience, its a struggle to get more than 1/3 into any interview before they mention other players invading your game.

His statement isn't based on his own opinion, it's based on the fact that EVERY SINGLE interview with developers revolves around the slow drawn out death of single player, and even if a core SP game is released the first interview is always about why they didn''t include MP.

Even more depressing is the fact it's now looking like developers hold this belief because of a really bad grasp of statistics
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 02 Oct 2013, 10:17

I'm quite happy with multiplayer games but I'd quite like them to have some sort of bots and the like. I suppose you could say it's harder to program the AI but if the original Unreal can do it why can't developers from this century do it? I'd much rather shoot a robot in the face and for it to say 'well done sir, you decapitated my silly self' than to get a voice message telling me how much of a fornicating fish fiddler I am.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby SilentDark » 02 Oct 2013, 17:41

I concur, I never played games online back in my PC gamer days, but holy shazbot did I love Unreal Tournament, easily my favourite PC FPS. Story was barely there but it was just really fun to play. Even against bots.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby combatwars » 18 Feb 2014, 03:28

G00N3R wrote:Serious Sam 3: 07% (this is the only game I've ever seen this low and I've always wondered why)

Serious Sam 3 was bundled many times and there was also 90% off coupons for it so basically it was Steam gift fodder. Also, the Serious Sam Complete Pack was on sale multiple time and the Russian Store price for it was extremely cheap which caused most traders to go haywire with it. Everyone who had an extra $1 laying around bought it and let it simmer in their accounts to bolster their e-penis.

Also, I want to say that I'm one of those idiots who buys every single CoD game out there because I don't have a life. I always go through the campaign first before even thinking of playing multiplayer so this being multiplayer-only is a huge disappointment for me. I also do look at maps and take a shit load of screenshots on Steam because I find it...interesting like the recent CoD Ghosts where there were trophies in a shelf ingame for surviving 2012 and another trophy for breaking the most pots and barrels.
combatwars 2

Next