to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

GTA Online tips - how to rank up fast, make money and surviv

Your comments on our articles.

GTA 5's multiplayer is a hazardous place. Come prepared.

I played GTA Online for around 120 minutes last night. Of those 120 minutes, perhaps 20 consisted of swearing at server disconnects, or gesticulating in tears at Rockstar's equally non-functional support page. I spent another 10 minutes in an eerie sort of trance, contemplating my own punctured corpse while the game tried and failed to "load players".... read more

Postby Mercer543 » 02 Oct 2013, 12:59

You can also deposit money by accessing the bank's webpage on your phone.
Mercer543 22

Postby offline » 02 Oct 2013, 13:01

I'm still unable to connect, hopefully the problems will be sorted by the weekend with a bit of luck.
offline 1

Re: GTA Online tips - how to rank up fast, make money and su

Postby OXM ETboy » 02 Oct 2013, 13:03

Mercer543 wrote:You can also deposit money by accessing the bank's webpage on your phone.

Good spot, I've added that to the piece.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Scootles » 02 Oct 2013, 13:35

I understand why they did it, but I find it ridiculous you can make deposits on your phone. Completely eliminates the need for ATM's.
Scootles 28

Postby PCG The_B » 02 Oct 2013, 13:37

Here's one - upon pulling off a successful holdup, the person who grabbed the takings can divvy out the pay as they see fit - just hold Back and then go to Inventory and Cash to select who to give the cut to and how much percent, say if a random person has helped you out with a getaway.

If you're feeling especially altruistic, you can even give friends/teammates your spare ammo if they're running low. I think it's Y while holding your weapon to drop some ammo on the ground. (Not certain off the top of my head, might be B but you can definitely do it.)
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Thos. » 02 Oct 2013, 14:48

Couldn't get on myself, so I spent the time waiting for the game to fail to load browsing for tips on my laptop. Here's a few, if you enjoy a bit of grind:

Apparently the Gallivanter Baller gives you the biggest payout at Los Santos Customs. You have to wait 20+ minutes before dropping each one off, but you get 9 grand when you do. This is what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/cBpcaYE.png

Gerald's "Meth'd Up" mission is infinitely repeatable, needs 2 people and takes 3-5 mins for 5k.

"What I do is load into a solo GTAO instance (Load story, start>Online>Play Online>Solo) Then head north of LS to that strip of road where there is a chop shop a shop you can hold up and a clothing store right next to each other, sell a car at the chop shop, rob the store, get 2 stars, drive 100 meters into the desert, watch the cops, get 200 points for evasion, and repeat. Every 20 or so, try and sell a car, get 5-9k per car every 20, and 1.5k every 3-4 minutes."
Thos. 45

Postby LethalBuddha » 02 Oct 2013, 15:06

It seems as though the vote to kick system has changed dramatically, it only takes one person to click on the kick button for a person to be kicked. I don't know whether it's a bug with the online launch but if you get kicked 3 times, for doing nothing wrong, you get a bad sport warning.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby Blackie252 » 02 Oct 2013, 15:39

STAY ALIVE is a good one, you can bank all the money you want however the hospital bill still comes out of your bank. Your hard earned cash could go very very fast if (as I have found out) 1 random child kills you, the game spawns you near him he then kills you again and again and again. Had some help off some fellow OXM crew members though and he soon got the message and left!

Cheers SmokelessBig L and Gashey J Life savers!!
Blackie252 23

Postby Name incorrect » 02 Oct 2013, 15:53

Have to say ive been playing it for the past 2 days and ive not had any problems,some of my peeps have.Rockstar have done well on the multiplayer side of things even tho its abit laggy and buggy they smooth out in the next couple of week and the story line across gtao is rather good................see ya on the streets guys
Name incorrect 3

Postby freefallX » 02 Oct 2013, 15:55

Theres an OXM crew in GTA? i want in!
freefallX 19

Postby PCG The_B » 02 Oct 2013, 16:11

PCG The_B wrote:Here's one - upon pulling off a successful holdup, the person who grabbed the takings can divvy out the pay as they see fit - just hold Back and then go to Inventory and Cash to select who to give the cut to and how much percent, say if a random person has helped you out with a getaway.

If you're feeling especially altruistic, you can even give friends/teammates your spare ammo if they're running low. I think it's Y while holding your weapon to drop some ammo on the ground. (Not certain off the top of my head, might be B but you can definitely do it.)

Just checked - seems to be B to drop ammo, and Y to drop the entire gun.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Neil H » 02 Oct 2013, 16:57

After getting my character data wiped last night for the second time, i'm now about to start my third, and, in a desperate attempt to stop my character looking like a cross between Pete Burns and a stygian witch, hit the randomize button numerous times and discovered I can choose 'John Marston' as my grandad! Happy days :)
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby Abe hikura » 02 Oct 2013, 22:38

Currently ,y character has a women's head sure hope that gets fixed
Abe hikura 53

Postby EdDeRs1 » 03 Oct 2013, 13:41

"Crewmates are generally less likely to pull a grenade launcher on you for absolutely no reason" unless they are part of the OXM Crew....
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby evilfangs » 05 Oct 2013, 18:15

Your last tip is kind of right and kind of wrong.

Stores can be safe zones but you can be killed when you're inside a store.

You can shot from outside the store to open the doors then kill the person inside the store. For example if you're buying guns at the ammo store I could stand outside and shoot through the doors and kill you. How ever if you hide near the shooting range around the corner you can't be hit from outside.
evilfangs 2

Next