GTA 5's "level of perfection is not seen or understood in th

Your comments on our articles.

"We can all make a car drive down a street in a game, but can you do it in style?" says Benzies

Speaking to Develop, Rockstar North boss Leslie Benzies has suggested that Rockstar's willingness to linger over the "last five to ten per cent of work" is key to Grand Theft Auto's success. Such delaying tactics are possible, he explained, because Rockstar doesn't waste too much time pondering the mere act of making money.... read more

GTA 5's "level of perfection is not seen or understood in th

Postby magilicious1 » 04 Oct 2013, 11:14

I don't think anyone will ever discover all of GTA V's secrets. There will be things that developers put in there as part of a running joke or just for a laugh or maybe they just hid something so well no one will ever solve the riddle or discover it.

Someone will let slip 5 years down the line in an interview, but no one will ever just discover all of these things.
Part-time worker, full-time gamer.
magilicious1 27

Re: GTA 5's "level of perfection is not seen or understood i

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Oct 2013, 11:40

level of perfection is not seen or understood

Not the best choice of words considering how many problems the average user is currently having even playing the game, never mind discovering all these little extras.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 04 Oct 2013, 12:01

Everyone's got characters that are walking around but can they walk?

Um...yes. You know a little less time on the "style" and a little more time on "getting GTA online actually working properly in time for the big launch" might have been a more productive use of your time if you ask me.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Mendes » 04 Oct 2013, 12:49

CunningSmile wrote:
level of perfection is not seen or understood

Not the best choice of words considering how many problems the average user is currently having even playing the game, never mind discovering all these little extras.

I haven't had that many problems with multiplayer to be honest, but I agree the use of the word 'perfection' is a little awkward, though I expect this interview was before Online went live. Also I think he is talking above the artistic merits and detail of the game rather than its, albeit slightly wonky at the moment, netcode.

I think we have to praise Rockstar for holding up their hand and admitting there would be problems. I remember Call of Duty 2 multiplayer was a complete disaster for at least 3 - 6months, practically unplayable, and Activision (or Infinity or whoever), if I recall made no such statement before or after its release. It took them forever to fix the netcode, by which time most people had moved on.

Anyway I digress, Rockstar's world stands head and shoulders over the next nearest open world competitor, whatever that made be... as Benzies says it's that 5 to 10%, that final spit and polish, the little things that make the game world so beautiful.

Only last night I was rabidly enthusing about the games virtues to a normally uninterested girlfriend, pointing out that if I drive a car in to an orange tree the fruit drops to the ground. It's likely that she thinks I'm crazy but what other developer would bother to add details like that.
Mendes 35

Postby Mendes » 04 Oct 2013, 12:58

SilentDark wrote:
Everyone's got characters that are walking around but can they walk?

Um...yes. You know a little less time on the "style" and a little more time on "getting GTA online actually working properly in time for the big launch" might have been a more productive use of your time if you ask me.

Can't disagree more, without style the game would be just another generic open world with a bolted on multiplayer. It will be fixed and it will be brilliant, for me it already is great fun, I've had a few problems but no show stoppers. Admittedly, a friend just could not connect no matter what last night, I felt for him as I do for all the other players having problems.

A little patience is all that is required, we've waited 5 years, another month for them to iron out the problems is okay surely?

There were always going to be issues, a game this big cannot be fully tested, even with a Beta which I was involved in. There's no way to stress test the netcode and servers to the levels that would match real world go live week.

Also consider the likes of Skyrim / Fallout, huge games, huge number of bugs. It's the nature of the beast with games of this size and complexity.
Mendes 35

Postby SilentDark » 04 Oct 2013, 14:22

This isn't an indie game written by two or three people. This is a megalith of a franchise with millions of dollars put into it. I don't think I'm expecting too much for it to be stable. All those little features are kinda pointless when not everyone can appreciate them. As for patience. I'm sorry but this game was released, they took peoples money and with the micro transaction element they are asking for more. If it wasn't ready they should have delayed release. I'm a patiant man myself but when you sell a product that's unfished and expect the people who paid money for the game to basically act as your QA staff, well I just think that's wrong. If devs have a problem developing large open worlds then perhaps they need to set themselves more realistic goals in future.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Mendes » 04 Oct 2013, 17:01

SilentDark wrote:This isn't an indie game written by two or three people. This is a megalith of a franchise with millions of dollars put into it. I don't think I'm expecting too much for it to be stable. All those little features are kinda pointless when not everyone can appreciate them. As for patience. I'm sorry but this game was released, they took peoples money and with the micro transaction element they are asking for more. If it wasn't ready they should have delayed release. I'm a patiant man myself but when you sell a product that's unfished and expect the people who paid money for the game to basically act as your QA staff, well I just think that's wrong. If devs have a problem developing large open worlds then perhaps they need to set themselves more realistic goals in future.

Some fair points, though the single payer as far as I can tell is stable, the main problem is the multiplayer and there simply is no way for any company, no matter how large and how big a budget they have, to reliably test millions of people logging on at the same time from different parts of the world, they can only simulate and speculate, and ask all beta testers to log on at the same time hoping they are all available to do so. While playing the Beta I had none of the problems makings the press, still don't, there was some down time admittedly, therefore I can only assume the majority of these issues have surfaced due to, the not unexpected, demand.

Don't get me wrong, if the single player was suffering the same amount of issues as the multiplayer, or Fallout Las Vegas for example, I would wholeheartedly join your side of the argument, but for me the single player is enough of a technical triumph to allow Rockstar some leeway.

I don't agree with devs setting themselves realistic goals, especially Rockstar, I'd much prefer them to push the envelope every time, even if that means I have to suffer inevitable teething problems. If devs such as Rockstar don't push the boundaries I suspect I and many other gamers would become very bored sooner than later.
Mendes 35

Postby Jlee93 » 04 Oct 2013, 17:48

How do I join the OXM crew? By the way, first time commentor guys :)
Jlee93 3

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Oct 2013, 19:37

Jlee93 wrote:How do I join the OXM crew? By the way, first time commentor guys :)

Hello and welcome to the party. As for joining the OXM crew try the GTA thread in the forums, I'm pretty certain at least one of the regulars has the link in his signature for every post

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13809
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby mackered » 04 Oct 2013, 22:42

I must confess that at first I was slightly less than lukewarm towards this game. It does, however, finally suck you in totally. I love the fact that there are a myriad of things to do and a plea from me to rockstar would be that rather than expanding the world it would be nice if they expanded the environment that was already there. It would be nice if there were more and more varied shops for instance.

As regards MP, I'm steering away from that for a while till it stabilizes. Sure, it has been a bit of a shambles but that is more than likely that it is a victim of its own success. I'm sure that it will get resolved. For now, I'll keep slogging towards 100 percent and 70 gold medals ( lol it took me 3 hours to try to get one spaceship part until I realized that you could just fly the right helicopter in!
Just remember, when someone says "the individual must be sacrificed for the greater good" they are never the one making the sacrifice.
mackered 59