Xbox One's Kinect isn't being used to gather data for advert

Your comments on our articles.

And "you can be sure it wouldn't happen without the user having control over it"

Microsoft's planning and marketing director Albert Penello has chimed in on controversy over Kinect on Xbox One's viability as an advertising tool, commenting that he's unaware of any plans to gather data for advertising purposes. Should Microsoft ever allow advertisers to track user behaviour via Kinect, he went on, this will require your explicit consent.... read more

Xbox One's Kinect isn't being used to gather data for advert

Postby Neil H » 04 Oct 2013, 11:43

Anyone see the new ep. of South Park the other night? had a good laugh at the internet meltdown over NSA paranoia :lol:
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Re: Xbox One's Kinect isn't being used to gather data for ad

Postby Hollg » 04 Oct 2013, 13:09

I never believed it would be allowed without asking explicitly for that permission. When some Microsoft staff indicated it could be used in this way, they were explaining how it COULD be used, not how it was going to be used. Unfortunately, too many people hear what they want to hear rather than what is actually said.

I have no doubt the NSA or whoever would like to use it, but Microsoft I believe will fight them over the issue. Microsoft have also realised that allowing the console to be used without the Kinect sensor gives customers the choice of unplugging it if they feel uneasy.

The advertising or snooping applies to any device and ANY console that has a camera connected while online. It seems the Kinect gets all the bad publicity just because its Microsoft.
Hollg 29

Postby msbhvn » 04 Oct 2013, 19:06

It always makes me laugh when they talk about "targeted" ads, like it would make a difference.

Any product that shoulder-barges its way into your face through ads that stand in the way of something you're trying to do, like on YouTube, immediately removes itself from consideration as a purchase for me.

Ads that try to trick you into clicking on them, like the seventy five "download" buttons on any free software site, make me instantly think the product is worthless.

A lot of websites, sadly including this one, have so many adverts you can hardly find the site content and get eye-strain. Auto-playing videos annoy me as well as they are literally wasting my bandwidth.

Then you get video services like Crackle, where they have a quota of ads to show you and end up just repeating the same one several times in a row. I must have seen that Cadbury "win your chocolate bar in solid gold" advert twenty times during a ninety minute film.

Nobody asks for advertising, yet it is used more and more invasively. Why should we believe that Kinect will be used any differently?
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby robertmartin » 08 Oct 2013, 06:01

At the Association of National Advertisers Masters of Marketing Conference, Yusuf Mehdi, corporate VP-marketing and strategy for Microsoft, outlined how he expects the new system could affect marketing, and Ad Age published an article that literally SALIVATES over the goldmine of data they seem to expect.

http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/?utm_source=digital_email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage&ttl=1381760447

Microsoft needs to address some questions, like

What message was Mehdi supposed to deliver to the Marketing conference?

Is Ad Age's article truly reflective of Mehdi's remarks?

If not -- how does a pro outfit like Ad Age get it SO DAMN WRONG?

If it is accurate, how does Microsoft reconcile Penello and Mehdi's seemingly opposite messages?

Microsoft's marketing department seems to be talking out of both sides of its mouth. I've gotta ask, why would they do that?

Also:

"you can be sure it wouldn't happen without the user having control over it"

If Kinect can measure my heart rate, as Ad Age contends, how do I in any way have "control" over that?
robertmartin 2

Postby Grummy » 08 Oct 2013, 19:09

robertmartin wrote:At the Association of National Advertisers Masters of Marketing Conference, Yusuf Mehdi, corporate VP-marketing and strategy for Microsoft, outlined how he expects the new system could affect marketing, and Ad Age published an article that literally SALIVATES over the goldmine of data they seem to expect.

http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/?utm_source=digital_email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage&ttl=1381760447

Microsoft needs to address some questions, like

What message was Mehdi supposed to deliver to the Marketing conference?

Is Ad Age's article truly reflective of Mehdi's remarks?

If not -- how does a pro outfit like Ad Age get it SO DAMN WRONG?

If it is accurate, how does Microsoft reconcile Penello and Mehdi's seemingly opposite messages?

Microsoft's marketing department seems to be talking out of both sides of its mouth. I've gotta ask, why would they do that?

Also:

"you can be sure it wouldn't happen without the user having control over it"

If Kinect can measure my heart rate, as Ad Age contends, how do I in any way have "control" over that?

I read that, interesting article. My one big takeaway form it was if Kinect can monitor our responses for improved advertisement, then that gives consumers a massive advantage, every time an ad turns up, just give it the middle finger until it goes away. They'll get the message soon enough.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator