Rare: Kinect isn't "the devil's device", but it can tell whe

Your comments on our articles.

"I think it's the biggest differentiator we've got," says Kinect Sports Rivals developer

Xbox One's overhauled, souped-up Kinect sensor is actually sensitive enough to work out when you're bluffing at poker, Rare's Simon Woodroffe has told OXM - the studio has knocked together a demo in which the device monitors player expressions for telltale signs of unease.... read more

Rare: Kinect isn't "the devil's device", but it can tell whe

Postby gtstcactus » 04 Oct 2013, 15:29

"Now I can play poker in my pants......." lol sounds seedy
gtstcactus 9

Re: Rare: Kinect isn't "the devil's device", but it can tell

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Oct 2013, 15:32

I wonder if Kinect can tell from your expression whether you're playing in your pants.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TheElderMan » 04 Oct 2013, 15:54

No. Clothing detection will be part of the new system. If any unclothed humans are spotted, a image is taken and uploaded to Redmond.

If you subsequently try to end your LIVE gold subscription, they send them back to you with a note that reads "Wouldn't it be a shame if your mother got sent these..."
TheElderMan 19

Postby Neil H » 04 Oct 2013, 16:00

In my own mad little world, I like to theorize that Kinect was designed by top secret scientists to track down the alien-lizard people that live among us, with its sensor working similar to Roddy Piper's glasses in 'They Live' :? :? :?
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby SilentDark » 05 Oct 2013, 14:25

Now that it's in every box, [it's more like] 'use it where it makes sense, don't use it where it doesn't'.

I would hope this is the case, but I can see that for many developers their imagination will possibly outstrip their ability. Nice to see at least a couple of devs aren't just throwing in Kinect based controls for the sake of it. If this keeps up, my initial fears might well prove to be unfounded.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Oct 2013, 19:06

SilentDark wrote:
Now that it's in every box, [it's more like] 'use it where it makes sense, don't use it where it doesn't'.

I would hope this is the case, but I can see that for many developers their imagination will possibly outstrip their ability. Nice to see at least a couple of devs aren't just throwing in Kinect based controls for the sake of it. If this keeps up, my initial fears might well prove to be unfounded.

I'm not going to say I told you so, but I have prepared a little I was right dance I may upload to YouTube ;)

With the previous Kinect every game that wanted to use it felt like they had to justify the fact you had bought a Kinect almost single handedly. With the One we've all gone one so no one needs to justify it, it's just an option to use
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 05 Oct 2013, 19:09

Neil H wrote:In my own mad little world, I like to theorize that Kinect was designed by top secret scientists to track down the alien-lizard people that live among us, with its sensor working similar to Roddy Piper's glasses in 'They Live' :? :? :?

OBEY! :wink:
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69