to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - five reasons I'm a little w

Your comments on our articles.

It's a pirate's life for me? Ed considers the downsides

Like a serene Caribbean sunset from roundabouts, oh, 1705, my feelings for Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag are largely rosy. Ubisoft appears to have dumped the third game's laborious pacing, and has restored a lot of the second game's colour and vivacity. But as with most sunsets, there are a few straggly black clouds of misgiving to reckon with.... read more

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - five reasons I'm a little w

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 Oct 2013, 16:27

I also miss Altair,I preferred him in Assassins Creed 1 before they just made him Ezio in Altairs armour. Ive always disliked Ezio.

Just the other day I picked up AC3 from the last time I had played it which was about January. Continuing on from where I left off in Sequence 7 Ive actually been enjoying it more now than I did up to that point. Could barely remember a thing of the story though. A handy feature for future games should involve some kind of recapping of the story so far.
I completed loads of Naval Missions and a further 2 memory sequences then I got to a Desmond mission which takes place in a Stadium and it completely killed the enjoyment for me, Desmond is worse than Ezio but both are insufferable in my opinion.

Protagonists have never been Assassins Creed strong suit and its a bit disappointing to hear Edward Kenway isnt much of an improvement.

On a different note have you OXM guys actually seen this run on current gen yet? Im very eager to know how it compares
Johnbhoy69 51

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - five reasons I'm a litt

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Oct 2013, 16:29

I've only played it on a "next gen PC", I'm afraid. You should probably hedge your expectations a bit, though...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TippiestRook99 » 04 Oct 2013, 16:39

OXM ETboy wrote:I've only played it on a "next gen PC".

Image :wink: :wink:
And that's why my butt hurts - Troy Baker - Men in Black:Alien Crisis

Since having a blog is mainstream these days.Featuring a review of Elder Scrolls Online Virtual Boy.
http://eternalshag78.wordpress.com/
TippiestRook99 55

Postby Plamsa wing » 04 Oct 2013, 17:44

Any idea if they've brought back proper non-lethal combat? Removing it in Assassin's Creed 3 was a pointless choice, especially when you play as a guy who can assassinate a bear for no particular reason.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Oct 2013, 17:47

I don't think it's possible to harm anyone without killing them, no. Stun moves don't seem very piratical to me, though if grumpy old Sam Fisher can manage a bit of mercy...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Plamsa wing » 04 Oct 2013, 17:50

So no starting fist fights in the bar then? Bloody pirates!
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Oct 2013, 17:57

OXM ETboy wrote:I don't think it's possible to harm anyone without killing them, no. Stun moves don't seem very piratical to me, though if grumpy old Sam Fisher can manage a bit of mercy...

I thought Fisher had always had non lethal moves avaliable to him, it was just Conviction that made him into Terminator
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Grummy » 04 Oct 2013, 18:05

I could go into a long rant about why you're totally wrong about the combat, but methinks we may have been down this road a time or two before :mrgreen:

It's a nice article, but I do think you're being overly critical, perhaps as a measure of protection in response to AC3 being a general let down. I think this looks stonkingly good, so good in fact, that I'm considering forgoing the next gen version for now so I can play it sooner this gen instead.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Oct 2013, 18:16

Indeed, we have been known to differ as regards AC combat ;) You're right, I'm probably being overly critical - I just wasn't quite as blown away by my hands-on as I thought I'd be.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby comabob » 04 Oct 2013, 18:33

I only got 1 reason why im concerned about AC4

Its an AC game.

That is all.

Comabob out. :wink:
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby Grummy » 04 Oct 2013, 18:47

OXM ETboy wrote:Indeed, we have been known to differ as regards AC combat ;) You're right, I'm probably being overly critical - I just wasn't quite as blown away by my hands-on as I thought I'd be.

At half a dozen games into a series, that's no surprise though. I find at a point like this there is an issue for developers of keeping their game familiar for series fans but changing/adding enough to feel different. Unless they were to make a dramatic overhaul I don't think there was any way you could feel any different than you do. Even then, a dramatic overhaul could have jumped up and bitten them in the bum. I think the reality is that you're playing an AC game and you were aware that you were playing an AC game.

If you think about it though, how much could they actually do to make it different without changing the core of the game that has made it popular and successful? The setting is slightly familiar, but certainly new enough to be interesting, at least for me. They could have done other settings, but how different would they be really? Feudal Japan? A gorgeous setting to be sure, but it's not anything we haven't seen before in Tenchu and the base gameplay would be very familiar, it would rely almost entirely on the story to be different and stand out. World War 2? We've seen that in The Saboteur, and whilst Ubisoft would certainly make a more polished job of it, it's not like the setting is all that unique. I guess my point is that whilst different settings could have been used, they're just aesthetic changes, the pure gameplay would remain largely the same. It's how they utilize it that really makes the difference now and I wonder how much of a chance you had to do that? For example, the stealth mechanics they've added seem interesting and quite new to the series.

I get the impression that you've been focusing a bit too much on the staples of the series and not enough on the new ways they're implemented. It's easy to become weary of Assassin's Creed if you just focus on how the game plays, because it's never really changed all that much. Look to the new things, the expanded naval element, how much of a pirate can you be? Is there any level of mercantilism, supply and demand at different ports? What about new hunting elements like Whaling etc? The under water searches? How is the variety in the landscape, is it so different as to be constantly interesting to explore? See, I read this article, and after AC3 I understand the concerns, but when I watch the videos of AC4 I'm always interested in the new stuff, how interesting the game looks to just bop around not being an Assassin, just exploring places and doing stuff. When that's the goal, as long as the game play is smooth and fun, I'm not concerned by how overly familiar or limited it might be.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby CR33D » 04 Oct 2013, 19:06

I really wanted some kind of Co-op this time round in the story it's a shame there isn't any. Even a versus mode with naval ships would be great. I'll keep an eye on this but i'm not that much intrested.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Oct 2013, 12:47

All good points Grummy. I'm not bothered by the choice of setting (though I think an AC set in Japan could be awesome) and you're right, there's only so much you can move the goalposts when you're this many sequels into a franchise. Still, adding a few more gadgets isn't really "moving the goalposts" - look at how many new guns, perks and so on Call of Duty manages with every sequel - and my worries about the combat, modern day setting and protagonist aren't really to do with how "innovative" the game is or isn't.

All that notwithstanding, this is probably going to be a great game. I just thought I'd sound a few cautionary notes, given that we've spent quite a lot of time praising the new features, and bearing in mind the possibility of an unfortunate disconnect 'twixt preview and review coverage ;) I haven't had a chance to explore the stealth stuff in depth, but it seems like they're onto a good thing there.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 11 Oct 2013, 07:14

One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Fenchurch » 11 Oct 2013, 09:24

I learnt a long time ago that no matter how good and 'new' an AC game looks, it's still going to be exactly the same if not worse than ever. They may add more features, more collectibles, more 'content', but it's just the same rehashed, reused garbage. Either that or they string out stories so thin and for so long that I don't even care any more. Say hello to the Lost of the gaming world...

The only time the series has improved for me is from AC 1 --> AC 2
Not the clothing brand...
Fenchurch 30

Next