Kinect Sports Rivals could be Xbox One's Mario Kart, says Ra

Your comments on our articles.

Kinect exclusive should still be an essential purchase "two or three years from now"

Rare's Simon Woodroffe wants Kinect Sports Rivals to be among the first games you buy for an Xbox One - even a few years after launch. The developer has extensive plans for post-release support, he told OXM at a recent preview event, and hopes that the game's cuddly aesthetic will stand the test of time.... read more

Postby Abe hikura » 07 Oct 2013, 10:59

Aiming high then, heard these words before "next maro kart, next smash bros" netheraned out well but colour me intrigued (which I imagine is sort of yellow/white)
Abe hikura 54

Postby Abe hikura » 07 Oct 2013, 11:09

Aiming high rare? Many (Sony) have said "next Mario kart" and "next smash Bros" but nether really manage it.
Colour me intrigued (which I imagine is a yellow/white colour)

However this is why I like Microsoft with Xbox. When they are "inspired" by Nintendo they go about it their own way and not out right rip off. Much unlike Sony
Abe hikura 54

Re: Kinect Sports Rivals could be Xbox One's Mario Kart, say

Postby SilentDark » 07 Oct 2013, 11:21

Look, it's nice to have a dream, but you might as well dream of riding a unicorn over the rainbow. Kinect Sports Rivals as a rival to Mario Kart, you must be joking. Mario Kart has the benefit of a huge cast of recognisable classic characters from various Mario games. Kinect Sports Rivals can't really say the same, it's the star power that makes Mario Kart sucessful, combined with a fun game that has turned it into one of Nintendo's powerhouse franchises. As for Wii Sports, well it's hard to say just how sucessful it would have been if it hadn't been bundled in with the console for the first few years and to be honest, in my personal opinion, Wii Sports was a glorified tech demo, something to show how the Wii remote worked, it was smart of Nintendo to bundle it in with the console outside Japan, because I don't think it would have done as well as a full release.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Chameleon » 07 Oct 2013, 11:46

I don' think they're saying it's the next Mario Kart - they're saying that what they want KS:Rivals to be to the X1 is what Mario Kart is to the Wii/any Nintendo hardware - an instantly recognisable exclusive that doesn't really age and is still going to be played years down the line.

Example: "You've got a Wii? Got Mario Kart with it? No? Go out and get it, you dumb ******! It's ****** fun!"
Now replace Wii with Xbox One, and Mario Kart with KS:Rivals. THAT's what they want. The sort of it's-mainly-for-casuals-but-I-like-it guilty pleasure that gamers will have a quick go on years later when they just want a quick blast of something rather than getting bogged down in some intense FPS or other.

Still a lofty goal, but potentially achievable, if you set your mind to developing it like that from the off, rather than starting off trying to be all hardcore, then realising you've not got that sort of product.

Edit: I'm still disappointed that Rare couldn't get this ready for X1 release day :( but better to delay it rather than release a substandard version.
Chameleon 44

Postby ChaoticP » 07 Oct 2013, 13:49

I think Kinect Rivals looks great, but I'm sort of worried that it won't get the attention it deserves due to the large amount of anti-Kinect gamer, who just don't believe in any possibility of a Kinect game being good.
ChaoticP 52

Postby steve_2003 » 07 Oct 2013, 15:00

ChaoticP wrote:I think Kinect Rivals looks great, but I'm sort of worried that it won't get the attention it deserves due to the large amount of anti-Kinect gamer, who just don't believe in any possibility of a Kinect game being good.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
Mind you, if you and I are Picking it up, that's two that they've sold. :D
steve_2003 64

Postby SilentDark » 07 Oct 2013, 15:36

ChaoticP wrote:I think Kinect Rivals looks great, but I'm sort of worried that it won't get the attention it deserves due to the large amount of anti-Kinect gamer, who just don't believe in any possibility of a Kinect game being good.

Well I'm willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong. I just don't rate their chances. That said apparently Child of Eden was an example of a kinect game done right. I can't possibly comment since I don't have a kinect but I'm saying it's not impossible to make a decent kinect game, it's just I don't believe most devs are that talented.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Raymond Franklin » 07 Oct 2013, 16:26

I cant wait for this.... I played the wave race level at Euro gamer... i must say honestly i couldn't have played it any better with a pad. I was very very impressed!!!

the only thing im annoyed about is the fact i cant play it at launch!
Raymond Franklin 7

Postby Maximus T » 07 Oct 2013, 18:14

I really hope this does well and gets out quite quickly (preferably the first dedicated Kinect game) so that it is likely the first one the sceptics experience, and is looking good and so should solidify Kinect's rep.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby SF1 » 07 Oct 2013, 18:25

I'd be willing to bet that KS:Rivals becomes part of a bundle when it's launched. Microsoft would be silly not to. If they also did one with the fantasia music game, that would be a potential big seller
SF1 30

Postby ChaoticP » 07 Oct 2013, 19:37

SF1 wrote:I'd be willing to bet that KS:Rivals becomes part of a bundle when it's launched. Microsoft would be silly not to. If they also did one with the fantasia music game, that would be a potential big seller

It was originally supposed to be a launch title, I'm glad they've been given more time to work on it. This game will likely set the bar for the expectations of Kinect games.
ChaoticP 52