to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Infinity Ward can't change Call of Duty too much because it'

Your comments on our articles.

"We can't change too many of the core rules," insists Mark Rubin

Infinity Ward appears to be making ch-ch-changes with Call of Duty: Ghosts, its vaguely post-apocalyptic and canine-loving Xbox One debut, but there's such a thing as a bridge too far. That's according to the studio's executive producer Mark Rubin, who explained to OXM at Gamescom that the franchise is, to some extent, the victim of its own success.... read more

Infinity Ward can't change Call of Duty too much because it'

Postby Neil H » 07 Oct 2013, 11:38

They should throw in a playable 'Righteous Slaughter 7' easter egg level in COD Ghosts just for the laughs - I wanna go on a s***-stick rampage!!!!
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Re: Infinity Ward can't change Call of Duty too much because

Postby J288gto » 07 Oct 2013, 13:58

"Infinity Ward can't change Call of Duty too much" which is a pity and Ghosts seems to have taken a lot of BO2 traits and features only they have added a doggy. Infinity Ward and COD have lost a little of their edge for me. It would take a MW2 class game to get me interested again. :(
J288gto 32

Postby danhalen74 » 07 Oct 2013, 14:09

i was going to swerve this but unless my issues with GTA are sorted ill be back sulking about quick-scoping xXDickheadzXx before you know it. i like the look of the squads addition to MP. me and some buds have been creating our own games like that for ages.
I play video games, ride motorbikes and sing the blues.

facebook.com/BVgrooves
facebook.com/danhalen74
@danhalen74
danhalen7@hotmail.com
danhalen74 48

Postby SilentDark » 07 Oct 2013, 14:41

Well they can't change it too much because for some fans gaming is serious business, and you don't want the inbox cluttered with death threats.

However, try adding cows as vehicles, or some kind of cow launcher weapon. CoD would be much improved with an increased bovine presence in my opinion. :lol:
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Baryonyx » 07 Oct 2013, 14:45

No wonder the series is stagnating (particularly when Treyarch aren't at the helm). This seems like a fairly thin excuse from IW as to why they won't update the core game, probably more borne out of their lack of creativity than anything. What, do they think the 'sports gamers' wouldn't play it if they gave it the overhaul it so desperately needs?
Baryonyx 42

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Oct 2013, 14:48

SilentDark wrote:Well they can't change it too much because for some fans gaming is serious business, and you don't want the inbox cluttered with death threats.

However, try adding cows as vehicles, or some kind of cow launcher weapon. CoD would be much improved with an increased bovine presence in my opinion. :lol:

For once I agree with you. The N64 South Park game holds a special place in my heart because of the cow launcher.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby PonderingWalrus » 07 Oct 2013, 16:26

Baryonyx wrote:No wonder the series is stagnating (particularly when Treyarch aren't at the helm). This seems like a fairly thin excuse from IW as to why they won't update the core game, probably more borne out of their lack of creativity than anything. What, do they think the 'sports gamers' wouldn't play it if they gave it the overhaul it so desperately needs?

I'm going to have to politely but strongly disagree with you there. I think the man makes a decent point about why Call Of Duty can't (or perhaps, rather, shouldn't) introduce dramatic changes and complete overhauls. Think about the title update in Black Ops 2 where they changed the reload and fire times of a few weapons by a fraction of a second and some fans started sending in death threats; if they completely revamp the game I can imagine there would be an outcry of ridiculous proportion.

The bottom line is this: while a lot of people dislike the fact that Call Of Duty has remained the same old, same old for years, a significantly large portion still love the Call Of Duty formula and will continue to purchase the games. Making big changes has a high risk of alienating existing fans while not being guaranteed to attract new ones, making it a bit of a dud move while the franchise remains popular.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby hazy33 » 07 Oct 2013, 17:20

SilentDark wrote:Well they can't change it too much because for some fans gaming is serious business, and you don't want the inbox cluttered with death threats.

Exactly! They don't want to upset the vocal MINORITY. Plus also a great excuse for a lack of imagination.
hazy33 25

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Oct 2013, 17:25

hazy33 wrote:

Exactly! They don't want to upset the vocal MINORITY. Plus also a great excuse for a lack of imagination.

Considering they get sales four or five times almost any other game I think minority isn't a word you can really use. Much as I dislike the series I'm fully aware that I'm the minority on this one
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Oct 2013, 17:53

I have to agree, they can't change it to something completely new, like an imaginary ball sport in which you use your hands and has 7 players. Call of Duty Rugby Sevens...you heard it here first.

I can see they're a victim of their own success, damned if they change it and damned if they don't so I feel quite sorry for them. Completely damned whilst they roll around like Scrooge McDuck.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby mackered » 07 Oct 2013, 20:04

Never thought I'd say this but I'm going to pass on this one. With the cost of xbone games I'm going to have to be more selective and this one will fall outside my selection criteria.

Infinity, of course, won't miss my meagre contribution to their coffers and neither will my team compatriots in multiplayer. The opposition, of course, will miss the cheap kills.
Under levelled strikes are Destiny's way of showing you that you're not as good as you thought you were. GT - sorethumbed
mackered 57

Postby silent alchemist » 07 Oct 2013, 23:47

So why not make the campaign better ie story, fun, put back co.op and why not give more maps on disc. This is what Activision will not do but run cod in to the ground like its other games in the past or like me if you are old its the same as EA and the old moh
silent alchemist 40

Postby CR33D » 08 Oct 2013, 02:14

silent alchemist wrote:So why not make the campaign better ie story, fun, put back co.op and why not give more maps on disc. This is what Activision will not do but run cod in to the ground like its other games in the past or like me if you are old its the same as EA and the old moh

I like Modern Warfares story it's the main reason i brought the game.

They still have Co-op just not spec ops, The Squad Modes(War Games) are the new Co-op they look fun but i'll miss spec ops i had huge fun getting the stars on it.

There are 16 launch maps for MW3 and 15 Launch maps for Ghosts. (1 being a pre-order bonus) I think that's good enough, It may add some fan favorites free too like MW3. I think the problem is not how many maps there are but if they're fun, On MW3 i only liked 4 maps.

Does anyone know if Face Off will return in Ghosts? It's the only mode i really played.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby EdDeRs1 » 08 Oct 2013, 09:26

J288gto wrote:"Infinity Ward can't change Call of Duty too much" which is a pity and Ghosts seems to have taken a lot of BO2 traits and features only they have added a doggy. Infinity Ward and COD have lost a little of their edge for me. It would take a MW2 class game to get me interested again. :(

although I probably will get this (eventually) it will take a MW1 class game to get me interested again, it has became too repetitive and mediocre for me, and I f**king HATE QUICK SCOPERS!!! GAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39