Why Batman: Arkham Origins isn't actually the story of Batma

Your comments on our articles.

A playable Year One wouldn't have made for "great, empowering gameplay", says Warner Bros

Batman: Arkham Origins delves a little further back into Bruce Wayne's history than Arkham Asylum, but it doesn't actually allow you to play through the events that kick-started his career as the Dark Knight. At a recent press event, I spoke to WB Montreal's senior producer Ben Mattes about why the studio chose Batman's second year as the space in which to stage their origin story, and asked whether a Year One setting was ever an option.... read more

Why Batman: Arkham Origins isn't actually the story of Batma

Postby Cokney Charmer » 08 Oct 2013, 10:42

Totally agree with the WB view on this.

A game based on the Year One story just wouldnt work. In the word of Bruce Wayne himself from Year One, when he makes a mess of his first night in the Cowl, "F'ing Amateur", his first year is made up of mistakes as he finds his place as Batman and that as a game would feel weak, a Batman that can make mistakes?

Origins is doing the right thing, its a blend of themes from Year One and Knightfall which gives the Arkham version of Batman more for the player to do and experience then if you allowed the player to relive his very first year. This way in Origins, as the player you can see Batman not yet at his prime but not so Amateur that you would expect him to fail as he finds his feet. A Batman 2 years into his "work" meeting new villains for the first time is a great setting for both the game and the story that WB wanted to tell.

As a fan of Bats from the comic books to animation, movies and now the Arkham series, it all makes sense :)
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Re: Why Batman: Arkham Origins isn't actually the story of B

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 08 Oct 2013, 10:54

Year one is definitely best enjoyed as a graphic novel.

Something Id like to see would be more playing as Bruce Wayne himself. Weve seen plenty of the criminal side of Gotham but what about the rich and powerful citizens of Gotham that Bruce Wayne has to associate with when keeping up appearances. Not all could have gained their money legally.

The games so far have taken place in a single night but Id like a game take place over a longer time period. Where Both Batman and Bruce Wayne are needed.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Oct 2013, 11:18

Cokney Charmer wrote:Totally agree with the WB view on this.

A game based on the Year One story just wouldnt work. In the word of Bruce Wayne himself from Year One, when he makes a mess of his first night in the Cowl, "F'ing Amateur", his first year is made up of mistakes as he finds his place as Batman and that as a game would feel weak, a Batman that can make mistakes?

Origins is doing the right thing, its a blend of themes from Year One and Knightfall which gives the Arkham version of Batman more for the player to do and experience then if you allowed the player to relive his very first year. This way in Origins, as the player you can see Batman not yet at his prime but not so Amateur that you would expect him to fail as he finds his feet. A Batman 2 years into his "work" meeting new villains for the first time is a great setting for both the game and the story that WB wanted to tell.

As a fan of Bats from the comic books to animation, movies and now the Arkham series, it all makes sense :)

Agree entirely, this way we get the best of both worlds: We get a Batman who feels bad ass fighting the thugs and mobsters he's experienced up until then, but who is still out of his depth now he's up against 'super' villians for the first time. We get to see the realisation that he can't do it all alone and needs help and allies if he's going to succeed which personally I think is a much more interesting story then the first time he puts on the mask.

The more I read of this game the more impressed I get. I was the first to bemoan the lack of Rocksteady, but WBM seem to have really given this some thought and consideration rather than go for the cash grab quicky sequel I was expecting.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Cokney Charmer » 08 Oct 2013, 11:46

I got the chance to go to the Origins dev session at Eurogamer Expo as well as a nice 20 minute chat with the developers on the Origins Demo Booth after I had played it and got to discuss all things Arkham with them, so friendly and humble in talking with me as an Arkham Fanboy.

They did admit one of their biggest fears when taking over from Rocksteady was how the fans would react to a brand new developer in WB Montreal taking over the franchise from RS and they wanted to do something that felt fresh and the only way they could do that without stepping on RS's toes was a prequel story.

For me the only negative side to Origins is the MP which just feels tagged on to sell DLC but then the challenge rooms are back and with SP DLC planned as well the MP, much like with the rebooted Tombraider is something that can be ignored if you dont like it but its something extra to do if you do enjoy it.

Really looking forward to the release in just a few weeks now, and what a great interview by Aoife to help build up more excitement.
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22