to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dedicated servers "aren't the final answer" to multiplayer b

Your comments on our articles.

"Host advantage isn't as big a deal as some people think it is," says Mark Rubin

Dedicated servers for multiplayer games are, according to some residents of the internet, a universal panacea for iffy multiplayer performance - but just how much of that claim is grounded in fact? Are there scenarios in which player hosting actually delivers better results? We had a chance to chat with Infinity Ward's executive producer Mark Rubin about it at Gamescom in August.... read more

Dedicated servers "aren't the final answer" to multiplayer b

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 08 Oct 2013, 13:44

"We did some research on it," Rubin continued. "Two people living near each other, in the same sort of neighbourhood, had different internet service providers. And a player matchmaking with them who's also right next to them matchmakes well to one, but the other guy's ISP uses a totally different route, and suddenly he feels like he's in another country, even though he's right next door.

There are various factors affecting online multiplayer. Of course it depends on how [well] your Internet Service Provider manages their network. Other considerations include throughput or data rates, as well as the number of connected users or devices and so on. It also matters if you are wired directly to your access point or using wireless technology. Even the type or quality of your router will affect your online experience.

So having dedicated servers will not be the answer to dodgy connectivity.
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Re: Dedicated servers "aren't the final answer" to multiplay

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Oct 2013, 13:51

I think it's all powered by magic, really. Animal sacrifice is as likely to work as resetting your router.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 08 Oct 2013, 13:57

I'm sure my cat will understand as I place it on the altar. I could even eat her leftover biscuits when she's gone - result. :lol:
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Oct 2013, 13:59

Remember to save the cat's blood, so you can pour it over your controller while summoning Dark Powers to reconfigure your IP address. Waste not...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Oct 2013, 14:07

OXM ETboy wrote:Remember to save the cat's blood, so you can pour it over your controller while summoning Dark Powers to reconfigure your IP address. Waste not...

Did you know around the 6th to 10th century AD in Kazakhstan cats blood was considered an aphrodisiac?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 08 Oct 2013, 14:08

Was that smeared or drunk?
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Oct 2013, 14:17

The first one followed by the second one.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Xbox11 » 08 Oct 2013, 14:24

Total bullshit, Dedicated servers are better for everyone but the 1% weirdo who lives in the bottom of Loch Ness, This is being said to play down the fact they are still using player hosted matches as an answer in situations where they run out of servers.

i.e.

''Sony is only paying for a few, And they told us to tell everyone we are using servers for PlayStation players too''

GTFO
Xbox11 29

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 08 Oct 2013, 14:34

Off to chemist to find Miaowgra tablets as it's less messy.
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Oct 2013, 14:43

Xbox11 wrote:Total bullshit, Dedicated servers are better for everyone but the 1% weirdo who lives in the bottom of Loch Ness, This is being said to play down the fact they are still using player hosted matches as an answer in situations where they run out of servers.

i.e.

''Sony is only paying for a few, And they told us to tell everyone we are using servers for PlayStation players too''

GTFO

I find your disrespect towards Nessie disturbing. Lets show a little more empathy to our underwater ally.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Xbox11 » 08 Oct 2013, 14:51

FishyGinger wrote:I find your disrespect towards Nessie disturbing. Lets show a little more empathy to our underwater ally.

I have nothing but love for Nessie, And she deserves nothing but the best Fibre Optics delivered to her...Err doorstep
Xbox11 29

Postby battfink83 » 08 Oct 2013, 22:18

lol who does this guy think he's kidding? really made me chuckle this did.......
battfink83 51