to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag modern day gameplay detailed,

Your comments on our articles.

Welcome to Abstergo Entertainment

Ubisoft has given away some new details about how the modern day sections of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag will work, via a new post on its official blog. If you're one of the many AC players who never quite warmed to Desmond, rejoice; you're not playing as him anymore. You're playing as yourself.... read more

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag modern day gameplay detailed,

Postby Skippy_Live » 08 Oct 2013, 15:25

We are only in the modern time bit for 20-25 minutes? That isn't very long at all.
Skippy_Live 26

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag modern day gameplay detai

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Oct 2013, 15:29

Skippy_Live wrote:We are only in the modern time bit for 20-25 minutes? That isn't very long at all.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I've always found the modern bits a needless distraction from the game I actually bought, and Ubisoft must feel the same way otherwise why is Desmond (who they always claimed is the real star of the series) never mentioned on the box?

Oh and paragraph two seems to have an echo.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 08 Oct 2013, 15:59

Picture Google - if Google were secretly run by an ancient order out to create their own corrupt version of a perfect world.

So just picture Google then. :lol:

I have to agree with Cunning on this one. The best way to make the perfect Assassin's Creed game is to take out the modern day trappings and just focus on the historical side of things. Desmond was so bland I couldn't have cared less if a pack of rabid ferrets ate him alive. Stick with the past, that's where all the interesting stuff happens anyway.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Bugsquat » 08 Oct 2013, 16:12

As bland as Desmond was, we still need to acknowledge that he was vital as a framing device for the story that Ubisoft wanted to tell. The first Assassin's Creed could well have worked fine as a game set solely within the Crusades, and that's the end of that. But Desmond is the link between the characters and times.

I was about to suggest that maybe Desmond seems uninteresting because he is ostensibly just there to prop everything up - nothing more - but then I remembered that they do explore some of his backstory and he's still not particularly enthralling. Oh well.

I didn't like Shawn either. I don't like it when the 'snarky; aloof; Simon-Cowell-alike' stereotype of a British person is used.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Oct 2013, 16:26

Bugsquat wrote:As bland as Desmond was, we still need to acknowledge that he was vital as a framing device for the story that Ubisoft wanted to tell. The first Assassin's Creed could well have worked fine as a game set solely within the Crusades, and that's the end of that. But Desmond is the link between the characters and times.

I was about to suggest that maybe Desmond seems uninteresting because he is ostensibly just there to prop everything up - nothing more - but then I remembered that they do explore some of his backstory and he's still not particularly enthralling. Oh well.

I didn't like Shawn either. I don't like it when the 'snarky; aloof; Simon-Cowell-alike' stereotype of a British person is used.

Have you met either myself, FishyGinger, SilentDark or indeed anyone on these forums? Snarky and aloof is only a stereotype because it applies to so many Brits :lol:
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Bugsquat » 08 Oct 2013, 16:31

CunningSmile wrote:
Bugsquat wrote:As bland as Desmond was, we still need to acknowledge that he was vital as a framing device for the story that Ubisoft wanted to tell. The first Assassin's Creed could well have worked fine as a game set solely within the Crusades, and that's the end of that. But Desmond is the link between the characters and times.

Have you met either myself, FishyGinger, SilentDark or indeed anyone on these forums? Snarky and aloof is only a stereotype because it applies to so many Brits :lol:

Noted, but I think...it's just...kind of...a little... shut up!
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby SilentDark » 08 Oct 2013, 16:32

Bugsquat wrote:But Desmond is the link between the characters and times.

True, but does there need to be a link, one whole narrative driving the whole thing. The whole alien space god side of things is really off putting, the games are connected in that they all about the same two organisations, they don't really need a modern backdrop as a framing device, and even if they did, can't they do it Icewind Dale style, in which the story is being told by a narrator to an audience. There doesn't really need to be any gameplay elements set in present day, especially as they tend to be dull as ditch water anyway.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Grummy » 08 Oct 2013, 17:53

"You are hired by Abstergo Entertainment to explore history, supposedly in search of a good product. You are hired by Abstergo Entertainment to explore history, supposedly in search of a good product.

The statement so nice they named it twice?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Oct 2013, 17:55

CunningSmile wrote:Oh and paragraph two seems to have an echo.

Breadited.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Maximus T » 08 Oct 2013, 18:04

There is so much inconsistency and general idiocy in the modern day plot now!
"Hello new employee, we want you to help us find a great new product by living the memories of a Pirate Assassin!"
"Totally not being Templars or anything, we want to teach you about the on-going war between the assassins and the Templars from the assassin's point of view, so that you are much more likely to rally against us if you figure out what's going on, which shouldn't be difficult seeing as old Edward Kenway has f*ck all to do with new products!"
"Despite being an omnipotent worldwide organisation, I doubt we will notice our employees accessing restricted files or listening to top secret conversations that really should have been held in a proper meeting room, rather than the corridor."

Seriously, I'm glad they are keeping this part minimal, because a pedant like myself, the way things look at the moment, will be able to spot holes in the plot without even playing the game.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Maximus T 67