to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Call of Duty: Ghosts - seven tweaks that make a surprisingly

Your comments on our articles.

Who let the dogs out?

You know, people often ask me how exactly I manage to keep saying good things about Call of Duty each year, despite the fact that Call of Duty is always, always terrible. It can be difficult to address these questions, because my mouth is usually full of Activision's money, but the short version is that I don't have to! I just parrot what it says in the nice letter from their PR department, adding a few bon mots of my own, then retire in a state of on-message bliss to Bobby Kotick's personal harem - perhaps lingering on the stairs to upend a chamber pot over a passing Battlefield fan.... read more

Call of Duty: Ghosts - seven tweaks that make a surprisingly

Postby Bugsquat » 08 Oct 2013, 15:57

Just be careful nobody takes your opening out of context Ed.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts - seven tweaks that make a surprisi

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Oct 2013, 16:00

Probably got a little carried away there ;)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Oct 2013, 16:27

If you're going to get accused for taking bribes anyway you may as well make light of it :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Oct 2013, 16:31

I have a terrible confession - I actually prefer this to Battlefield 4 at the moment.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 08 Oct 2013, 16:55

OXM ETboy wrote:I have a terrible confession - I actually prefer this to Battlefield 4 at the moment.

Having played both, i agree. One is probably the better game (BF4) but the other is more fun.
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby bamozzy » 08 Oct 2013, 16:56

I am a Call of Duty Fan!! Let me just start by saying that first and foremost BEFORE everybody else starts calling me a fanboy or something!! The honest truth is I am a First Person Shooter fan and have been really since Goldeneye on the N64. I have played FPS shooters before Goldeneye (Doom, Wolfenstein) as I have been gaming for over 30 years now but Goldeneye - especially the MP is the game that really established my preferred gaming style.

Having said all of that, Call of Duty is the closest I have come in current FPS games to that Goldeneye experience. Nothing else really come close to that fast paced frantic gun action. Battlefield is to slow and the vehicles ruin it for balanceas you always get some really good pilot that destroys all your vehicles before you can even get in them or get them off the ground. I am not saying Battlefield is a poor game - far from it as I really enjoy playing that too at times. I used to be up all night playing match after match of Goldeneye with my friends and seem to be doing that with each new Call of Duty title too.

CoD4 was my first introduction to the series nad no one can ever say a bad word about that - it is often regarded as the greatest CoD game of all time although it does have its flaws. People often complain about the aging enging in the more up to date titles BUT I can still see the improvements in graphics - whilst hey may not be up to BF3 standards - they are not far off and run smoothly at 60fps - which to me is more important for that fast paced action. I can't say I wasn't disappointed with MW3 however but that had nothing to do with its engine - more the Lag, Matchmaking, crap spawns and the DLC content. Black Ops 2 though is a lot, lot better!

I have pre-ordered Ghosts (Hardened Edition for 360) and am really looking forward to it now - before this article. I am also looking forward to playing BF4 too (I have BF3 and wasa season pass holder on that too). It really annoys me that people seem to think you can only like one or the other and target CoD as it is the Market Leader (at the moment at least). Personally I am looking forward to seeing all the other companies efforts to try and knock CoD off the top spot too and think that the competition can only be a good thing for us the gamer. If each try and outdo what the other has to offer then we the gamer should be getting better games out of it and that can only be a good thing - regardless of your first choice preference. Even if you like BF but hate CoD - the reason the BF series is as good as it is is because of its competition.

I am not surprised at the improvements to Ghosts - it is inevitable! For tem to stay top they cannot just release the same game year after year (as some seem to suggest) but have to make improvements. MW2 tried to improve on CoD4 by giving us more customisable killstreaks and perk options (not saying they all worked but at least they tried). MW3 gave us even more scorestreak (as they became) options and so it goes on...... No doubt the things that really worked from 3 will be carried forward too. If people actually played the different versions of CoD they would see the graphical progress (even if it seems slight - there is still progress - CoD4 really does look dated by BO2 or even MW3's standards) and they really do pack so much more in as well - look at how much co-op has grown or Zombies too. You didn't get any of that with CoD4.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Oct 2013, 17:45

bamozzy wrote:there is still progress - CoD4 really does look dated by BO2 or even MW3's standards) and they really do pack so much more in as well - look at how much co-op has grown or Zombies too. You didn't get any of that with CoD4.

Maybe true about the MP I don't know but the single player has been going mostly downhill since the first few games. 1 and 2 (and surprisingly UO) were great, 4 was pretty much a cliche but managed to work very well but it seems once that was big the various developers found the word 'cool' in the dictionary and gave up on substance.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby fishclaws » 08 Oct 2013, 17:59

OXM ETboy wrote:I have a terrible confession - I actually prefer this to Battlefield 4 at the moment.

agreed ed - bf4 feels a bit samey to bf3 - you can't just hop on for a quick match like cod - it feels too much like an expedition sometimes to get ur first kill- especially on the beta map as everyone seems to have an unhealthy obsession with the big shiny skyscraper
when the sun shines - i feel the urge to eat apples
fishclaws 29

Postby bamozzy » 08 Oct 2013, 18:11

FishyGinger wrote:
bamozzy wrote:there is still progress - CoD4 really does look dated by BO2 or even MW3's standards) and they really do pack so much more in as well - look at how much co-op has grown or Zombies too. You didn't get any of that with CoD4.

Maybe true about the MP I don't know but the single player has been going mostly downhill since the first few games. 1 and 2 (and surprisingly UO) were great, 4 was pretty much a cliche but managed to work very well but it seems once that was big the various developers found the word 'cool' in the dictionary and gave up on substance.

I do agree that CoD4 was in my opinion one of the finest campaigns in the Call of Duty series and that sniper/stealth mission by far the best level ever too. That being said they would be hard pressed to beat that regardless of how they tried. Nothing will ever come close to beating the impact that had because it has been done - even if they tried another sniper or stealth based mission or detonated another nuclear bomb (or equivalent) unless you have NEVER played CoD4 it really will not impact so much and will always be compared to it. Nowadays I take them at face value and just play through them for the spectacle and achievements but I still do enjoy them. At least they are not littered with QTE's and do offer some 'fun'. I would still rather play a CoD campaign than a repeat of BF3's type campaign by choice.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby zamio » 08 Oct 2013, 20:02

Buuurn heretic!

I'm hoping that someone on your team knows 40k enough to not ban me.
zamio 29

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Oct 2013, 20:07

zamio wrote:

Buuurn heretic!

I'm hoping that someone on your team knows 40k enough to not ban me.

the word heritic is not automatically a 40k reference :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Metalrodent » 09 Oct 2013, 00:31

I wouldnt necessarily say removing deathstreaks was a good thing, all it really does is just mean that the pro players continue to utterly dominate
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Decent_Jam » 09 Oct 2013, 08:01

I think the key difference is that in my experience, BF is vastly improved by playing with friends, more so than COD, and this title will not be any different in that respect (IMHO).

Once you are buddied up with a crack team and find yourself barking tactical information to each other that, my friends, is online multiplayer gold.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 09 Oct 2013, 08:40

My main problem with CoD is that it just keeps getting easier and easier. This is turn taking something away from good play, tactics and strategy. Take the auto aim away and slightly increase kill times would be heaven to me but it will just never happen so long as they are trying to increase/ maintain the playing population.
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby EdDeRs1 » 09 Oct 2013, 09:48

ImTehBAwsss wrote:My main problem with CoD is that it just keeps getting easier and easier. This is turn taking something away from good play, tactics and strategy. Take the auto aim away and slightly increase kill times would be heaven to me but it will just never happen so long as they are trying to increase/ maintain the playing population.

preaching to the choir mate, Call of Duty, the game in which snipers run around the map and assault players camp, I still maintain quick scoping IS NOT A LEGITIMATE FORM OF ENGAGEMENT! and all those little kids who legally aren't allowed to play the game still give me shit for behaving like a real sniper
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Next