to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC "makes a lot of

Your comments on our articles.

"I'm not allowed to leak things," hints Microsoft Studios boss

Valve's Chet Faliszek once told me that console-versus-PC multiplayer was a "gimmick", a gratuitous feature that's fatally hindered by differences in control scheme. That hasn't stopped players asking for it, however. Among the latest to pop the question is Steve Farrelly from AusGamers, who queried Microsoft Studios corporate vice-president Phil Spencer on the subject while discussing Xbox One's decidedly PC-ish architecture.... read more

Postby Skipstream » 09 Oct 2013, 10:53

God please no. It's bad enough dealing with 12 year old's swearing at me online without dealing with some PC gamers arrogance and condescension over their 'rigs' !!
Skipstream 51

Re: Cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC "makes a lot

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Oct 2013, 11:15

Didn't they try that with Shadowrun and it ended disastrously? Admittedly the game itself wasn't great, but people I know complained that PC users had an unfair advantage because shooting with a mouse was quicker and more responsive whilst PC gamers complained their state of the art gaming PCs were being held back by having to interact with the consoles.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby mackered » 09 Oct 2013, 11:21

CunningSmile wrote:Didn't they try that with Shadowrun and it ended disastrously? Admittedly the game itself wasn't great, but people I know complained that PC users had an unfair advantage because shooting with a mouse was quicker and more responsive whilst PC gamers complained their state of the art gaming PCs were being held back by having to interact with the consoles.

All we need now is the ability to:
1. Use a mouse as well as the keyboard.
2. Water cool the xbox.
3. Over clock the xbox (ooh ms have already done it).

Bingo.. Cheapo gaming PC... :mrgreen:
Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Guess they don't like random people coming knocking on their doors. Also, when your partner says "correct me if I'm wrong" would you?
mackered 58

Postby EdDeRs1 » 09 Oct 2013, 11:24

FINALLY! a chance for the oppressed console races to strike a crushing blow against the so called PC "master race"! rise up my comrades in games! give us victory or a rematch!
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby G00N3R » 09 Oct 2013, 12:45

I would love to see this for a FPS. As long as the console version has its auto aim turned off there can only be one winner :mrgreen:
G00N3R 49

Postby stee01 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:27

I read a article about mouse and keyboards vs joypad long time ago tho. The mouse and keyboards players wins every time. Even if the mouse and keyboards players are a bunch of noobs vs hardcore joypad players, mouse and keyboard wins most of the time. It will be upto the game developers to implement the mouse and keyboard to the game. I don't think it will happen tho, I hope so cause RTS games for xbox needs a mouse and keyboard.
stee01 42

Postby Xbox11 » 10 Oct 2013, 11:51

Different game lobby's for different control's would be an idea.
Xbox11 29

Xbox One and PC can play 'FPS' together. I do, high-level, C

Postby ErinaceousFlux » 11 Nov 2013, 18:27

mackered wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Didn't they try that with Shadowrun and it ended disastrously? Admittedly the game itself wasn't great, but people I know complained that PC users had an unfair advantage because shooting with a mouse was quicker and more responsive whilst PC gamers complained their state of the art gaming PCs were being held back by having to interact with the consoles.

Firstly Shadowrun was horribly optimized for the controller. I make a supporting case as follows.

It isn't nearly as bad as people make it to seem. Granted I played the Xbox for eight years before investing in a gaming PC I kept using the Xbox 360 controller and still do against players on the PC edition of CS:GO. I compete at the Legendary Eagle Master rank and still maintain a positive K/D. However I had to configure the controller myself using the console: CS:GO's standard support is abysmal. Granted for some games it may be more difficult i.e. Quake, the assumption that PC players should not play with Xbox players because of the skill ceiling of the controller is completely taken at face value. Microsoft's marketing department, and most players on the PC, have NO IDEA of that skill ceiling. In fact I am beginning to understand the difference can be largely due to latency in TV setups and terrible controller mapping. Controller players in ALL systems should have the FULL access to the console. This way I would be able to implement my custom acceleration values .etc. into the Xbox and everything would be dandy. I cannot for the life of me play CS:GO on the Xbox 360 but I can play CS:GO on the PC with the Xbox controller.

This is a great time to mention there is a guy on Twitch.tv who plays at Masters league on Starcraft 2 using an Xbox controller. Herein, myself as a witness, I call Microsoft to stop hiring marketing gimmicks and let us settle this the old fashioned way. Open, worldwide tournament. If at least one Xbox player can stand up to PC players, which IS the case, I view that sufficient reason to posit cross-platform support.

Additionally even if it were true in a good matchmaking system you would have PC players at the top and amongst them the shining star players i.e. myself who compete evenly with mouse/keyboard setups rising to the top. The PC players, therefore, would never bother anybody. Even then from a programmers perspective it wouldn't be more than 3 lines of code to allow players to filter platforms i.e. Xbox/PC in the matchmaking search.

Anybody interested in any of the details of this post should reply to this thread. :mrgreen:
ErinaceousFlux 1

Postby Lauren Glenn » 08 Sep 2014, 12:19

The system already has keyboard support. I plugged in a Logitech K400 keyboard dongle into the USB port and I'm able to use the keyboard to enter passwords and usernames. Navigation doesn't work too well, but keying definitely does. The mouse doesn't work though.
Lauren Glenn 1

Postby Kanderin » 08 Sep 2014, 12:35

Why it would be nice to see, it could be crippling for console gamers in competitive multiplayer. I don't think it's even something that can be argued - someone that's handy with a mouse is only limited in aiming at a player by their own personal reaction speed. Using a console you can fiddle with the thumb stick response but it's not as intuitive as a mouse and therefore takes some serious getting used to in order to stop yourself getting very dizzy. Xbox one vs PC in call of duty and PC would win hands down - but it's down to the interface, not player ability.

Other genres though, why not?
Kanderin 55

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Sep 2014, 12:45

Kanderin wrote:Why it would be nice to see, it could be crippling for console gamers in competitive multiplayer. I don't think it's even something that can be argued - someone that's handy with a mouse is only limited in aiming at a player by their own personal reaction speed. Using a console you can fiddle with the thumb stick response but it's not as intuitive as a mouse and therefore takes some serious getting used to in order to stop yourself getting very dizzy. Xbox one vs PC in call of duty and PC would win hands down - but it's down to the interface, not player ability.

Other genres though, why not?

Shadowlands was a PC-Xbox cross platform game and that's exactly what happened with it, the PC mouse users just dominated the online and it ended up killing the experiment quickly
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby skiggy » 08 Sep 2014, 23:08

I honestly don't like playing with a keyboard or mouse no matter how accurate it is. Honestly I think it takes away the fun because its too easy.. I remember playing Fear on pc and it was a walk in the park vs the console version but it wasnt nearly as fun for me with a mouse and keyboard.. I would have fun battling with pc gamers. I dont come across these 12yr olds as much as people say so it doesnt matter to me...
skiggy 11

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Sep 2014, 23:10

Coop cross platform play would still be great though, even if competetive didn't work.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71