to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Roman tablet? Why Ryse's use of SmartGlass on Xbox One is "n

Your comments on our articles.

"This is the level of implementation you can expect from the majority of first party titles."

It's taken me a while to warm up to Ryse: Son of Rome's Xbox One SmartGlass features. I like how they work on paper, but they seem troublingly out of synch with the game's fiction - how are players supposed to feel steeped in that lush barbaric world, if you're going to urge them to pull out a smartphone or tablet? But I'm perhaps being over-sensitive - as is my wont - and at the end of the day, Ryse's SmartGlass features are optional. Here's a little chat with Justin Robey, Microsoft's senior producer, about how Crytek and the manufacturer have made those touchy-feely auxiliary mechanisms feel like a natural extension of the game.... read more

Roman tablet? Why Ryse's use of SmartGlass on Xbox One is "n

Postby senote » 14 Oct 2013, 18:53

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Smartglass has been out for about a year now, you only have to look at the rather small list of games that use it to see that it's even more pointless than Kinect. You sit, you put the controller in you're hand and you kill stuff, or you race stuff, or you climb stuff, or punch stuff, Smartglass adds nothing to that experience, in fact it takes away because if you use it while you're trying to kill, race, climb or punch it takes you out of the game experience. Yes it adds some nice features like being able to set multiplayer setups and stuff, but please MS stop trying to sell it like it's some amazing experience and start calling it what it is, it's an app, nothing more nothing less.
senote 27

Re: Roman tablet? Why Ryse's use of SmartGlass on Xbox One i

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 Oct 2013, 18:55

There have been some pretty lacklustre bits of SmartGlass support, I'll give you that - but look at Project Spark. That's the kind of place I hope we'll end up, if tablet/phone cross-over catches on next gen.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby KernowDevil23 » 14 Oct 2013, 18:58

senote wrote:it's even more pointless than Kinect>>>>>>>Yes it adds some nice features.

Contradiction?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby KernowDevil23 » 14 Oct 2013, 19:00

OXM ETboy wrote:There have been some pretty lacklustre bits of SmartGlass support, I'll give you that - but look at Project Spark. That's the kind of place I hope we'll end up, if tablet/phone cross-over catches on next gen.

MS have all but admitted that SmartGlass was built for the Xbox One. Much the same way Sony have said the Vita was designed with the PS4 in mind.

Seeing as SmartGlass is entirely optional (not to mention free), I certainly have no cause for concern.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Maximus T » 14 Oct 2013, 19:10

Ha! An article about Ryse, a game about Romans! Watch this space, my next post on a Ryse article will be encrypted.

Why? Only one acronym can satisfy this question: YOLT
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Oct 2013, 00:31

Maximus T wrote:Why? Only one acronym can satisfy this question: YOLT

You only live twice?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 15 Oct 2013, 08:02

CunningSmile wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Why? Only one acronym can satisfy this question: YOLT

You only live twice?

You only live thrice.

Works every time! :D
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby mariachi2000 » 15 Oct 2013, 09:07

Despite having followed Ryse from the early days... I only realised when I got half way down the article that today (for some unknown reason) I was pronouncing it in my head as 'rice' rather than 'rise'. :/

I think smartglass is pretty good and with it being optional I don't think anybody can really complain... but if they spent all the time and money that they have spent on peripherals on something like a hoverboard...
mariachi2000 37

Postby vadersmyfather » 15 Oct 2013, 09:18

mariachi2000 wrote:Despite having followed Ryse from the early days... I only realised when I got half way down the article that today (for some unknown reason) I was pronouncing it in my head as 'rice' rather than 'rise'. :/.

And there I was pronouncing it Reece.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48