to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Halo 3 is free with Xbox Live Games with Gold from today til

Your comments on our articles.

Any guesses as to what the next free titles might be?

As we reported last month, Halo 3 is October's second free download for Games with Gold, following on from Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD. Xbox Live gold members can download it right now from the Xbox Live Marketplace, after which time the game is yours to keep forever.... read more

Halo 3 is free with Xbox Live Games with Gold from today til

Postby Cokney Charmer » 16 Oct 2013, 09:52

Its been said before and gets repeated everytime a Game for Gold gets released, but until Microsoft and Xbox catch up with the free games model used by Sony and PSN+, every game they blow dust off to offer for free will always look "comedy value" when you see the titles from the last 12 months that Sony gives its paid subscribers

Yes HALO 3 is an amazing FPS game in terms of story and yes it still stands up against current FPS games, but, many would have already played it, still own it (raises hands) or dont see it as relevant enough to consider it a reward for their subscription.

Microsoft need to do better if this is to "evolve" into anything more then a joke seen by the Xbox Community as a waste of time. With the titles listed on Games on Demand, Microsoft needs to do better and bring the criteria of games to be offered more in line with PSN+ and make the catchment area for the titles 12mths or less
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Re: Halo 3 is free with Xbox Live Games with Gold from today

Postby drjammy » 16 Oct 2013, 10:02

I heard the next 2 games will be Pong and Space Invaders. Then just in time for Christmas we're getting Ms. Pacman and Galaga.
Can't wait!
:|
drjammy 34

Postby yunoyuluvit » 16 Oct 2013, 11:02

Cokney Charmer wrote:Its been said before and gets repeated everytime a Game for Gold gets released, but until Microsoft and Xbox catch up with the free games model used by Sony and PSN+, every game they blow dust off to offer for free will always look "comedy value" when you see the titles from the last 12 months that Sony gives its paid subscribers

Yes HALO 3 is an amazing FPS game in terms of story and yes it still stands up against current FPS games, but, many would have already played it, still own it (raises hands) or dont see it as relevant enough to consider it a reward for their subscription.

Microsoft need to do better if this is to "evolve" into anything more then a joke seen by the Xbox Community as a waste of time. With the titles listed on Games on Demand, Microsoft needs to do better and bring the criteria of games to be offered more in line with PSN+ and make the catchment area for the titles 12mths or less

And, as also gets repeated every time a GfG gets released, PSN+ is a completely different service. PSN+ games aren't "free" - they are free for you to use for as long as you maintain your subscription. XBL Gold is a premium online service and, AS A BONUS, current subscribers to this service receive a free game that they can keep even after their subscription has ended. can we finish with this now, as it's extremely boring?

On a side note, I was hoping the Mythic II pack would get discounted and it has. Yay!
Gamertag: yunoyuluvit
yunoyuluvit 42

Postby dfused » 16 Oct 2013, 11:10

I traded this a long time ago, will be nice to give it a fresh playthrough. I have really been enjoying the games for gold program, and its given me a chance to play some games I never played first time around such as Dead Rising 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Fable 2. I can understand why some people are upset but still.. free games.. right?
One and a half years have passed.. yet I'm still angry that my girlfriend wouldn't let me name our son Sonic
dfused 51

Postby b0dd1c3 » 16 Oct 2013, 11:23

God I loved this game, I know what I'm dong this weekend.
b0dd1c3 39

Postby Roland of Gilead » 16 Oct 2013, 11:23

Cheapskates moaning that their free stuff isnt good enough. :roll: If a tramp moaned that he didn't want the big mac meal I just bought for him, but a 16oz steak with the trimmings, I'd snatch it off of him and chuck it in the bin.

Ever heard of not looking a gift horse in the mouth?
Roland of Gilead 15

Postby Cokney Charmer » 16 Oct 2013, 11:33

Roland of Gilead wrote:Cheapskates moaning that their free stuff isnt good enough. :roll: If a tramp moaned that he didn't want the big mac meal I just bought for him, but a 16oz steak with the trimmings, I'd snatch it off of him and chuck it in the bin.

hmm not exactly a fair analogy to use, but ok lets use it. Microsoft arent offering us a Big Mac Meal, they are offering us a happy meal served up to people who have spent a whole bunch of money on their product and services.

Its not being a "cheapskate" to see what the competition is offering their subscribers for the same amount of money and wondering why Microsoft think that offering a game from 2007 is a good enough reward for subscribers. MS gave Assassin's Creed II, Sony gave Assassins Creed III. Next month PSN+ get Remember me and Metal Gear Rising, for free for their subscription. MS will give a dead Arcade game and dead AAA title once more which almost every gamer has played, completed, still own and they have a right to hope for MS to do better.

It being free doesnt mean its good enough, I still have my copy of HALO 3 from its original release, where is my reward? I have owned every AAA title MS has "given" for free..so I have not been rewarded in any way in this promotion
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Oct 2013, 11:43

Am I the only one bored of reading the same tired arguments from both sides twice a month? I'm half tempted to lock off the comments thread as soon as Ed posts the article :roll:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby PonderingWalrus » 16 Oct 2013, 11:52

Cokney Charmer wrote:
Roland of Gilead wrote:Cheapskates moaning that their free stuff isnt good enough. :roll: If a tramp moaned that he didn't want the big mac meal I just bought for him, but a 16oz steak with the trimmings, I'd snatch it off of him and chuck it in the bin.

hmm not exactly a fair analogy to use, but ok lets use it. Microsoft arent offering us a Big Mac Meal, they are offering us a happy meal served up to people who have spent a whole bunch of money on their product and services.

Its not being a "cheapskate" to see what the competition is offering their subscribers for the same amount of money and wondering why Microsoft think that offering a game from 2007 is a good enough reward for subscribers. MS gave Assassin's Creed II, Sony gave Assassins Creed III. Next month PSN+ get Remember me and Metal Gear Rising, for free for their subscription. MS will give a dead Arcade game and dead AAA title once more which almost every gamer has played, completed, still own and they have a right to hope for MS to do better.

It being free doesnt mean its good enough, I still have my copy of HALO 3 from its original release, where is my reward? I have owned every AAA title MS has "given" for free..so I have not been rewarded in any way in this promotion

I think that's where this divide on Games For Gold is coming from. Microsoft never started doing this to compete with Sony but, because Sony are doing a similar thing, many people feel the need to compare the free games the two companies give us. The fact is though, this is something we previously weren't getting yet some of the people I have seen comment on this site seem to think that because Microsoft's games aren't good enough for them they should be entitled to what those guys on the PS+ Network are getting despite the fact they never seemed to have a problem when Microsoft gave us nothing at all.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby yunoyuluvit » 16 Oct 2013, 11:55

CunningSmile wrote:Am I the only one bored of reading the same tired arguments from both sides twice a month? I'm half tempted to lock of the comments thread as soon as Ed posts the article :roll:

You get my vote. I wanted to reply again to Cokney Charmer, but the will to do so has left me.
yunoyuluvit 42

Postby captainhetty » 16 Oct 2013, 12:00

CunningSmile wrote:Am I the only one bored of reading the same tired arguments from both sides twice a month? I'm half tempted to lock of the comments thread as soon as Ed posts the article :roll:

Draw a line under it, go on :lol:

Seriously... twice a month we go through this when a new game becomes available and it's getting really, really old. Fair enough if you don't like it, that's your right. But we don't need to keep having the same.bloody.argument every time, nobody ever raises any new points, it never gets us anywhere and it's pointless.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 61

Postby yunoyuluvit » 16 Oct 2013, 12:22

I still need to do loads of the online achievements, so the additional players will be good for that

As for what's coming up? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll give away the first Dead Rising.
yunoyuluvit 42

Postby LethalBuddha » 16 Oct 2013, 12:35

I don't think we've had a racing game on GwG yet, so on that basis I'd guess that one of next months games will be either Forza or Need for speed.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby ItchyRash » 16 Oct 2013, 12:50

Please Cunning, for the good of us all, lock these comments sections. I've seen all the arguments for an against over and over again. Come November 1st the cycle will continue
ItchyRash 43

Postby SilentDark » 16 Oct 2013, 13:59

I'm on the other side of the fence regards the argument but even I'm getting tired of it.

Look, MS, just give me Tales of Vesperia and I'll shut up. :D
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Next